“Lunch - Must” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Waterford, Virginia, United States
“Lunch - Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Fresh... Fresh... I'm not a big seafood fan, but the three folks that joined me are. Two had the crab cake and one had the fish and chips. All enjoyed their meals. I chickened out and went with the bacon wrapped hotdog... Good but I wish I had tried the fish. I will next time!!

Visited April 2013

“Best Happy Hour Ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Love their Fish Tacos and Angry Mussells! However their $1 Oysters and $1 Jumbo shrimp can't be beat! Come early to get a seat! The atmosphere is fun and the service is really good for Happy Hour! The only thing is that Happy Hour applies only to the bar area!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, Virginia
“Excellent Seafood restaurant in Ashburn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Lunch was excellent. I had made reservations for 2p.m. i was surprised when the hostess told me that since i was made aware that is was a 40-55 min wait over the phone (which I wasnt) I only had to wait another 15min. she was pleasant enough, and it was super busy, I decided to wait it out. The wait was less than 15 min. i ordered the blueberry lemonade which was exellent. I ordered the Lobster bisque which was excellent. The Maine lobster roll is amazing. Our server, Courtney, was so attentive and took excellent care of us. Definitely a great spot for seafood in Ashburn.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Reston VA
“Absolutely wonderful dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband, son (10 years old), and I decided on the spur of the moment to go to dinner here. We had heard great things about this place and it came highly recommended by colleagues. So we tried it. Boy were we glad that we did!

They accept reservations and once they fill up, they accept call ahead. We called ahead and were told there was currently about a 40 minute wait, so we waited at home. When we arrived, we were seated immediately. It was great. However, I really advise reservations or call ahead. When we left the restaurant at 8pm, the wait for a table for three (without reservations or call ahead) was over an hour.

Waiter: The waiter was fantastic. When he heard it was our first time there, he went over everything with us. He highlighted what they specialities were, what the daily specials were, and what was currently the most popular items on the menu. He was able to answer all of our questions, had a great sense of humor, and when my son wanted to try their blueberry lemonade (but was afraid he would not like it) - the waiter made him a deal. Since it was made to order at the bar special, the waiter said if my son didn't like it - then he would drink it and take it off our bill. How sweet was that! Unfortunately for the waiter, my son liked it. The waiter was attentive without being pushy. Really great waiter!

Atmosphere: It was located in a strip mall, but once inside you were transported to a New England seafood shack (just an upscale version of the shack). Lots of wood and land's end esc... blue painted chairs. There was a bar (it seemed busy and happening but not wall to wall people and a pick up seen). It was more of a friendly, hang out, chat, watch the game, fun place. Not too noisy. The rest of the restaurant was filled with groups talking and having fun. This is not a quiet stuffy seafood restaurant, but it was not overly noisy either. You could hear some of the music over the talking. It had a fun vibe in my opinion and really was going for a Maine type theme. They achieved it well.

Backstory: Owner was a former high up person in the Great American Restaurant chain. When on of the partners died, the owner decided to branch out on his own as he was really trying to bring the lobstah roll to the menu. So he opened up his own place in 2010. There is also a location in
South Riding.

Drinks: My son ordered the homemade blueberry lemonade (fresh mint and blueberrys in it). It was very tasty. I ordered iced tea (they have sweet, unsweet, and raspberry). It was clearly made fresh there and good. My husband ordered the flight of beer sample. Four beers with 3 oz. of each. All four were very tasty but our favorite was the Lancaster Milk Stout. A second runner up (sorry can't remember the name) had flavors of citrus and oak - very interesting and tasty.

Appetizers: We ordered the jumbo shrimp (6) - they were really jumbo. You had to peel them yourself and they came with cocktail sauce and lemon. They were tasty. We also ordered the deviled eggs. They were an impressive presentation (lots of yolk filling piled high), bacon, and spiced pecans. Yummy!

Dinner: My son had the kids mac and cheese with applesauce. He loved the it and said the only thing wrong with it was that he wished it was a bigger serving. He really likes his mac and cheese. It was an appropriate size for a child, but he is pushing the upper end of the children's menu age (it went to 12 here). I had there lobstah roll. Oh my gosh was it good. Just like you find them in New England. They make them two ways - hot or cold. Hot is mixed with a mayonnaise dressing (nothing else in it), served on a toasted bun, with lettuce and garnished with chives. The chunks of lobster are fresh and delicious! Seriously the best lobster roll I have had outside of New England. The hot version is served warm on a bun with warm butter (might have to try that one next). The dish came with fries (thin cut) and roasted corn on the cob (never had it this way and it was sweet and delicious). My husband had the special of the day: pan grilled halibut over cauliflower mash with lemon caper butter and asparagus on the side. The fish was cooked perfectly and (while I really dislike cauliflower) the mash was ok. Husband loved it as he is a big cauliflower fan.

Dessert: We shared a rootbeer float. But I gotta admit I was really tempted to get the homemade blueberry pie (sense a theme here with the blueberries- yep) with cinnamon ice cream. I love cinnamon ice cream and it is so hard to find around here.

Total cost: $90 before tip.

Would we return and recommend it? You bet - already planning the next trip. We want to try the fish and chips. We here the fish melts in your mouth. Next time I will save room for the blueberry pie.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Atmosphere and service great, food quality & selection not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were there at 1:00pm on Saturday, when they still have their brunch menu. It had very limited choices unless one wanted breakfast items. We had fish & chips and an oyster roll. Fish & chips were ok, although I've had better in this area at Eamon's and Old Brogue. Oysters did not taste fresh- couldn't eat them. Server apologized and offered to bring something else, but we didn't find anything else of interest. He did not offer to take them off the bill.

The non-entree items were quite good- muffins, cole slaw and fries. However, there was nothing on the menu that I wanted which wasn't fried, so I used up a whole day of calories on the one meal eating fried fish and fried potatoes.

We took a look at the dinner menu while waiting. It has more choices but is still limited compared to other seafood restaurants around. If I lived closer, I might give it a 2nd chance. However, it's too long a drive to risk another bad experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Food