“Great Place, poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Parallel Wine Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 157 Restaurants in Ashburn
Cuisines: Tapas, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Place, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

You're playing Russian Roulette w/ your $$ here because the food is decent to good...some of it eclectic and interesting, and the wines are good, w/ good ambiance, but the service is just incompetent - and it badly tweaks what otherwise would be a nice night out. With the exception of the service in the bar area...(she was knowledgable and friendly), our experience w/ the host and server was frustrating....though it provided my wife and me some laughs during the night.

Reading other reviews here, it appears my experience is not isolated. The Valentines Day weekend dinner special was $55 per person and any wine and tip were extra...so you looking at $80 or so per person. The surf and turf was a petite filet w/ a lobster tail. The filet was chewy and might as well have been a small block of poorly cooked flavorless chuck. Ordered as Med. Well, it was delivered as an obvious med. rare. Server never came back to check to ensure temp was right. When she did, dinner was cold and the meat mostly uneaten. She took the dish to cook to meat more. When the plate left the table, we expected it to return, as we weren't done as there was still lobster and broccoli on it...those found their way to the garbage apparently. What returned was a small piece of charred meat sitting alone on a small 6" plate...it was actually pretty funny. My wife and i thought, facetiously, that it was some sort of brownie dessert that they were offering us while we waited for the filet to cook. When we asked where the plate was when she brought back our charred morsal of beef, she just shrugged and said she thought we were done. Oh, well. Next: Soup of the day was lobster bisque, which was a bit salty...reasonably priced at $6, though I was charged $9. They fixed that, but after a discussion over what was ordered. Host first sat us in bar area, but took our name for a table. However, she forgot about us..no biggee b/c we enjoyed waiting a bit. But they gave a bunch of table(s) away ahead of us, so we had to wait much longer than we should have. Typically, not a problem as most places would apologize - maybe give a comped wine, or appetizer...something. Not here. No apologies, no glass of wine....just, that's the way it is, take it or leave it.

So, look, perhaps this ins't a big deal....but when you spend $150 going out for a nice meal, you expect the simple things to be done right..don't throw away my lobster, serve decent cuts of beef, cook it right, and if you screw up, no big deal, just fix it timely or give me something as a recognition of the mess up. Don't just hand me the bill, make me argue over the price of something, and send me on my way thinking the place is just way overrated. Instead of a decent review, you end up with a review that tells of a poor experience. So, if you must go, stick to the wine and appetizers - can't go wrong w/ those, and they were good. As for dinner, tapas style...I'd recommend the Wine Kitchen in Leesburg over this place. It does a similar style of food w/ a nice wine list that's affordable, and they do a great job w/ it.
Cheers!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ashburn, Virginia
“Great place service not good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Last Saturday night dinner and wine was great. Music excellent the service was under par the waiter must have been new brought the check before we finished dinner than gave me attitude with an 18 percent tip. My opinion was better service at the bar waiters service was slim to none

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Server refused to fill up a glass when we had purchased a full glass and the machine went empty half-way through. At those prices, that is just plain wrong. I'd gladly lose the unreliable machines (very gimmicky and more trouble than they're worth) and just go back to regular servers pouring out my wine by hand.

I had the potato soup. It was not very good, and the bowl was shallow

The inside is also very cramped. The tables are so close together, it's impossible to weave through them to get to the machines without disrupting patrons, their coats/purses, or both.

I will not be returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia, USA
“... more than just wine...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great place for relaxing over an assortment of lighter tapas-style plates, that come with good wine pairings. Staff can always come up with good recommendations for wines, pairing with the food and considering individual preferences.

If you become a bit of a regular, don't be surprised if you are remembered, with wine recommendations that are reflect what you liked last time. About half of the wines are available from wine machines that allow you to have anything a small sample to a full glass - nice when you want to check out a possible selection.

Visited December 2012
“Love, Love, Love this Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I try to frequent Parallel as often as possible. The wine offerings are varied and quality, the beer selection is not as large, but hey, it's a wine bistro. The food is absolutely fantastic! I like the fact that the wine servers behind the bar can suggest food pairing based upon the wine you've chosen. Personally, I have a problem with wine machines, which they also have, but that's just me. I enjoy watching prefessional wine service.

The interior of Parallel is nicely decorated as well. I love the wine box walls! I only wish that it was possible to sit outdoors year-round here. I very much enjoy their outdoor seating area and love the fact that outdoor cigar smoking is not only allowed but encouraged. A great wine can just as aptly be paired with a good cigar as it can with food.

Ashburn has a little gem of a gathering place here for those who don't want sports bars, beer dives or cliquish clientele.

• Visited November 2012