“Sorry, Not that great and special. Not worth the $$” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Shop and Stay Your Way
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Richwood, KY
“Sorry, Not that great and special. Not worth the $$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I must sound like a disgruntled guest, I assure you I am not. But I did not experience any of the great reviews I read about this Hotel. If I had payed some of the prices I seen mentioned here, I would judge this hotel by a different set of standards compared with other hotels in the $65 to $79 a night range I seen here. I was charged $149 a night Plus Taxes for a Tuesday/Wed stay. So this review is based on that price scale of Hotel.

I am not impressed by this hotel at all. This was my first time staying at a Marriott property and was not happy. I honestly feel I should be refunded my Money after seeing these reviews and what I had.

First, this was NOT a suite, at least my room was not and not as described on the website. It was a standard although large (and large I mean long) 2 queen bed room with a desk seperating the "Sleeping" area and a "sitting" area with 1 TV that split the room so you can see from both areas.
The "Kitchenette" was only a book case with a microwave and a small refrigerator and a small coffee maker.

Quality of the room was on the Poor side I thought. This is supposed to be a newer hotel. The shower had cracks in the corner of the shower where the 2 walls came together, the bracket that held on the shower door was pulled away from the wall by a 1/4 of an inch. The wallpaper in the Toilet area was pealing by the sink. There was screen spline or something loose in the window piled up in the window.
This is really a standard no frills 2 queen room made to sound like a suite and I am sorry, but way, way overpriced at $149 a night. If Hotel Management looks at the rooms it was Room 230.

Breakfast..... Was told at check in that Breakfast was at 6am. I waited in the lobby until 6:30 am when they raised the curtain. to the counter of food that was already prepared and sitting there. The Eggs was cold and runny (I know they was just sitting for at least a 1/2 hour) the "Canadian Bacon was of course dry by this time. and the Oatmeal never was up to consistancy both days I was there. Very watered down. almost like vegitable soup. The lady said she agreed and just turned the temp up on the container it was in. Other than the Cold eggs, dried ham pieces this is just an ordinarry Continental Breakfast.

There was NO waffle maker as stated in other reviews, Not sure where that came from but it sure would have been nice.

The decor was nice and modern, and the shower was hot and plenty of hot water.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SHS_Ashburn, General Manager at Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
I am so sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the product we offer at the Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North. We certainly have no intention of misleading our guests into what our hotel offers. The suites at our brand are 25% larger than a regular hotel rooms and the photos on our website were taken at this hotel and I have always thought very fairly represent our property. I am so sorry they did not meet your expectations. If you have not already tried it, I can recommend the Residence Inn Brand which may be more suited to your needs. Their suites are even larger and they actually have full kitchens. I must warn you though they rooms are priced higher than ours.

Regarding the items mentioned in your review that needed attention in your room; I would like to thank you for sharing this information with us. Our rooms undergo a process every 3 months when we re-caulk the showers and tubs and check though in more detail other aspects of the rooms that do not get addressed on a daily basis when the housekeepers are cleaning. My chief engineer and I went to your room last week and the items you bought to our attention have already been fixed.

I also wanted to apologise for the miscommunication regarding our breakfast start time. There is no reason why you could not have started eating breakfast especially given that fact that everything was ready and waiting. I will share your feedback with our team and use it as a training example of how we can better care for our guests.

I wish you the best and hope that your experience at our property does not deter you from staying at Marriott again in the future.

Kind regards,
Hannah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Marlboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Spacious, modern, clean, quiet, convenient, helpful, friendly. Need more? Ok. Cheap. Business friendly Go. This was one of the best hotels in its class anywhere. No room service or restaurant but you can get food delivered.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nice, new and clean hotel. The front desk staff was always friendly and ready to help. The room was nicely decorated and very clean. I liked the modern sliding doors in the room - bathroom and shower rooms. This is a perfect hotel for quick trips, couples and business travelers. The bathroom was tight to share if you have more than 2 people in the room. (We traveled with our 9 y.o. daughter).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Very nice new hotel.To me very high tech for business people.I was there on personal fun time with family.
The front desk clerk Hudson was awesome.We got there late at night.He helped with luggage which you don't get that often from the front desk.Very welcoming attitude. He would be the first reason I would stay here again because of the initial service we got from him.
The room was real nice and spacious.I like the way it was setup.
The only thing I wished they had a hot tub.That would set it off.
We had a good price for the weekend.
I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the room are nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to the area, and by far I know I chose correctly. I had minor issues that if at another property would have ruined my stay, if it were not for the customer service of the entire front desk but specifically a young lady named Tamar. Promote this woman!

Shuttle service was amazing from pick up to drop off, always on time and courteous, and did I say on time!
The location perfect for my business with Verizon and walking distance to a Chick Fila.
Free WiFi always a plus.
Free breakfast definitely a plus.
Again the customer service at this hotel, bar none.
Kudos to management and keep up great work.

• Stayed February 2013
SHS_Ashburn, General Manager at Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor! I was thrilled to hear that Tanar, along with the rest of the team made such a great impression on you. We look forward to your next stay and many more after that.

Warm regards,
Hannah Adlam
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

As a loyal Marriott customer, I can always expect an excellent experience whenever I stay at a Marriott property. I count on a clean room, well-prepared breakfasts, and other such amenities.

What is especially important to me, and what I find differentiates Marriott from other choices, are the exceptional staff. They are always so friendly and eager to serve. I would like to cite several employees in particular at the SpringHill Suites in Ashburn: Scott Newman, who personally ensured timely pick-ups and drop-offs at the Dulles airport and at the NTSB Training Center where I worked this week; Michael Cook, who worked the desk, transported me in the van, and delivered my ordered-out meal to my room; and Courtney Belyea, who greeted me upon arrival and each day after work, and who also picked me up after dinner out.

They all served cheerfully and without expectation of any gratuity; they simply are good people. Also, although I didn't catch their names, the lady and the gentleman who prepared the breakfast buffet were efficient, attentive, and cheerful as well. Lastly, though I never got to see the housekeeping staff, they did a fine job keeping my room immaculate, orderly, and well-supplied with towels, bathroom articles, etc.

I look forward to my next stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: The hallways are very long, so unless you don't mind the hike, ask for a room closer to the elev...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thankyou for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. It fills me with pride to hear that Michael, Scott, Courtney and our breakfast team, Odir and Debbie exceeded your expectations in every way. We look forward to welcoming you back.
silver spring, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

One of the areas in my job calls for me to check out hotels for possible booking for our youth groups. My friends and I wanted to do a girls weekend and since I had to check out Springhill Suites Ashburn, we decided to stay there. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel and it's wonderful staff.

The hotel itself is close to Dulles Town Center and another mall, all within 4 miles of the hotel. It's moments from Route 7 and I495. It's far enough from DC to not deal with the hustle and bustle, but close enough to visit the museums.

The lobby made me feel immediately relaxed upon entering it. The staff was very warm and friendly.

The room was another pleasant surprise. It was much larger than the typical Springhill Suites room. The bathroom is divided into two rooms. The shower room is absolutely gorgeous, clean and a LOT of room. The room with the toilet was small, but everything was within reach.

The kitchenette area was nice. I did miss the faucet that's normally found in Springhill's kitchenette. However, there are still 2 faucets in the room so that was adequate.

The living room area is HUGE. The pull out couch is next to a lounge chair that is spacious.

The desk is surrounded by a privacy window. The opaque glass helps the person on the other side of the glass not be disturbed by the light when one is working at the desk.

The breakfast is typical Springhill Suites breakfast, but they did have 2 waffle irons which was good.

This hotel more than met my expectations and I will definitely be back again both with our youth groups and with friends.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for such a detailed review on Trip advisor. I am so happy to learn that your experience was 'pleasantly surprising' and that it 'more that met your expectations'! It is our ojective to do that for every guest, everytime. If I can assist to coordinate your hotel needs for your next youth group, please feel free to reach out to me at the hotel any time.

Kind regards,
Hannah Adlam

Been to Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North? Share your experiences!