“One of the best Marriott's I've Stayed In” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Ashburn
Sumter, South Carolina
“One of the best Marriott's I've Stayed In”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I've stayed in quite a few hotels through the past couple years and this is the first time that I've been blown away upon entering the room. The first thing that I noticed is the color; there are none of those drab colors that you usually find in hotel chains. These colors are light and inviting and the furniture is very modern. The desk has a divider, from the bed, which allows you to conduct work in semi-private and not disturb someone sleeping. And the shower is awesome, has nozzles at different levels. Just an awesome room, stay here and you won't be disappointed. Also, the check-in was seamless. They had a trainee down there who was extremely pleasant and willing to offer directions.

Room Tip: My tip for you; if you're staying in this area stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Hotel appears new and located quite a distance from Washington DC, it is about 12 minutes to Dulles. Room was clean, but had issues. It was quite small for a comperable suite hotel. The sliding doors for the separate Shower and separate toilet room on the surface sounds great, but a room without a bathtub is small. We had one bar of soap to share with the shower, toilet room and sink in the shower room. That and the lack of towels, the thin sheets for the very hard sofa bed. Also, hair dryer did not work and the sink in the toilet room was all plugged up. We stayed 2 nights and the hotel did take care of the reported problems after the first night. My real reason for giving the hotel such a rating are the following:

1.Pool was horribly small. I could touch both sides of the pool by outstretching my arms. Way too small to do anything. Capacity was a whopping 9 persons! You could fit the 9 if they all inhaled. This was first Spring Hill Suites I have stayed that had no whirlpool...not even a small one. I have stayed at tens of Spring Hills and competitors hotels.

2.Worst part of the stay was the breakfast. This hotel was packed at all visited hours and had only one waffle maker and a very limited seating area in the lobby. Even though the lobby is very modern looking, there is just not enough tables to accomodate the stress of the breakfast. Also, not much in choice was available, Pork sausages, on the raw side, had to wait quite a long time in line to just get a bagel and some oatmeal. Way too tight for the huge crowd even with the table outside. Much of the seats in the breakfast area are lounge chairs making it difficult to eat. I was in the breakfast area when it opened and it was packed with lines and my niece was there at 9:30 on a weekend and nothing was left and it was closing. Very disappointing. We would rather have gone to the Chick-Fil-A which was the only restaurant within walking distance, but closed on Sundays.

3. Never received my bill under my door. All hotels in the Marriott Chain do this, but the Spring Hill Suites Ashburn did not, making me have to stand in line to check out since two parties were in front of me and each had issues. Again, not a big thing, but an indication that this hotel doesn't stack up to others in the chain.

I did like the thermostat air conditioner which was quiet and worked very well keeping the room cool, but the poor breakfast and pool were a real downer in comparison to other hotels in the area. I have stayed at many around Dulles and most have a much better pool that you could actually swim, more accomodating breakfast. Any pool with water is much better than the Ashburn Spring Hill Suites pool.

Room was clean, but lacked ammenities other hotels in the chain have and you have to drive a distance to get to a restaurant other than Chick-Fil-A.

I rate this hotel as needs improvement and will stay at other area Marriott hotels in the Dulles area for my next visit.

Room Tip: Room can accomodate 3 adults comfortably, but if you like to swim or expect a nice breakfast experie...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your disappointment with the amenities at the hotel. We can and will certainly work to address some of the challenges you faced whilst here and I can only apologize for those that are outside of our control.
We do offer guests complimentary 3 day passes to the nearby LA Fitness which enable our guests to use their facilities when our pool and gym are not adequare for their needs. We also provide complimentary shuttle service to locations and restaurants within a 5 mile radius of the hotel to provide dining options for guests who do not have transportation.
In most instances our breakfast area adequately meets the needs of our travellers; but there are occasions (like you experienced) when we have to just do our best to accomodate larger numbers than the breakfast area was designed for. I am so sorry that your stay as impacted so terribly by this.
Thank you again for your feedback, it will enable us to continue improving and maintain our #1 Ashburn Hotel status.
Kind regards,
Hannah
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The service, breakfast, cleanliness, and facilities were great! Nice pool, exercise room, and breakfast area! The rooms, however, even passed the term great!! They were awesome! Nice and comfortable bedding, separate mini-living room, and divided shower room and toiled are just a few of the features this great hotel had! Definitely going back if will be in the area again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

I agree with every positive review you can find on this hotel. For the price of $79, we stayed in what feels like a metro boutique hotel rather than a chain. The rooms are spacious and beautuful with a separate toilet from the shower. I LOVED this. Everything about this hotel is wonderful. You cannot find a better bargain in the usually very pricy Loudon county. This is our new weekend getaway spot.

• Stayed May 2012
Hamilton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My family travelled to Virginia to visit family over Easter. I have never stayed in a hotel over a major holiday and was unsure what to expect. I sort of expected a skeleton crew but was pleasantly surprised. Rooms were very spacious. Excellent for families. We checked in late and decided we needed an addtional blanket. The gentleman at the front desk was very accomodating, as housekeeping was not around. Breakfast was continually replenished. We used the gym each day and it was always clean. We did see the pool but didn't use it. No time, plus it had bubbles. Overall, the hotel was clean and the staff was helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed here one night after staying in the DC area. Rooms are very nice size especially for a family. It is hard to find. GPS wouldn't work. Need a car to reach other areas. Close to the outlets and Leesburg, VA. Breakfast was very good. Disappointed that we could not use the pool. Apparently we were told that a guest decided to use the pool as a bubble bath the day before and no one could go in. The front desk clerk was very polite and approachable. He had great customer service. Nice to have coffee available later in the day. Room was very clean. The area is very up and coming. Can see it get very busy and popular in years to come. We were very happy with our stay other than not being able to use the pool.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel the last weekend of February 2012. The staff was very helpful and the room was great. I traveled with my mother and eight year old daughter. The bathroom set up was great as when someone was having a shower, you didn't have to worry about someone waiting to use the toilet! A big help with three generations in the same room. My daughter loved the pool and the free WiFi was great throughout the entire hotel, as we were able to Skype my husband on the laptop from the poolside. My daughter was thrilled to show Daddy how she was swimming in February!

The breakfast was really great and having skim milk and low fat yoghurts were a great touch for a buffet styled breakfast.

When I make it back to visit family in Ashburn, I will be certain to stay here!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hannah A, General Manager at Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share you experiences with other travellers using the Tripadvisor website. I am so happy to hear that your entire family enjoyed the stay and the amenities at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are visiting your relatives in the Ashburn area.

Kind regards,
Hannah Adlam

Been to Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North? Share your experiences!