“Too cool for the basics... like hand soap.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
cincinnati, oh
“Too cool for the basics... like hand soap.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

It is funky and cool. But if you can't get the simple amenities, why bother? They were completely out of hand soap - I heard multiple guests also request some, bewildered, as there was none in the rooms. The front desk was friendly but not helpful. Nor did they have a spare toothbrush. And the reserved airport shuttle was 10 minutes late (to Dulles which is about 12 minutes away - not a huge deal except there were no cabs to be seen anywhere). And with no restaurant on site, the delivery options were terrible. Poor choice, I won't go back, in spite of the funky vibe.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We booked a park & fly ... and although the rooms were fine it was a slog to a restaurant for dinner. NOT 10 minutes to the airport, but at least 20. And we found only after we arrived that the airport shuttle is once an hour, not every half hour. On return, we waited an entire hour outside in 32 degree weather for a shuttle. Aloft was the only park & fly hotel we noted that did not have a shuttle available at least every 30 minutes. Would never stay here again for that reason.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I stayed here in February with a friend of mine just to get out and I was impressed. I'd been wanting to check out this brand for a while as I work at a nearby Westin and could get a nice employee rate through starwood.
I started off calling ahead to make sure I could check in early and was greeted on the phone by Julie after a brief hold. She was very helpful and let me know that early check in was quite possible.
The Lobby is the obvious highlight of the hotel. While not as grand as a normal full service hotel, it's a nice, hip, casual environment. Unfortunately check in was a little delayed as I walked in and waited for a few minutes for anyone to show up. Granted I showed up around noon (not a peak business time) and he apologized so it was not a big issue.
Everything about this hotel is eye candy. Even the elevators have some kind of interesting floor design with blue fluid that moves beneath you. All very cool to experience and look at.
I also enjoyed the room greatly. Bathroom was very nice. My friend has a tendency to be kind of a jokester so the lack of a lock on the bathroom sliding door was a little bit of a concern for me but thankfully did not prove to be an issue.
TV is an obvious plus of this hotel. Though I did experience it dimming a few times as well as splitting the screen in half to advertise in room movies while I was watching something on my DVD player. A minor annoyance that was solved with turning the tv on and off, but maybe something that could be looked into.
All in all a good experience!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

I like to say bad service but there was no service at all provided for it to be even bad. The have no housekeeping staff, no room service, no restaurant, pool was closed, and the staff were unprofessional and not service oriented. I had no soap in my room, and was missing other amenities. When I called the front desk to replenish the complementary water bottle, they simply state that we don't have housekeeping staff to bring it to you, must come and buy water in the lobby. The location is terrible, nothing in 5 mile radius of the hotel, so you are pretty much stranded. Will not stay here or at any other aloft again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 25, 2010
Aloha travelramin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the Aloft Dulles North. It is very disheartening to hear such comments about your stay and we take each and every comment very seriously. While the Aloft is a Speciality Select Service property, we do offer a few food and beverage options including our 24 hour Refuel area and a menu of hot options at our Wxyz bar. We are definitely working now to extend the menu to provide more items for those who are looking for a heartier meal and should have it rolled out by March. We reviewed our logs and showed that we closed the pool down recently to adjust the chemical levels, however this was only for a 3 hour period in February. Ashburn is a growing area and new business are popping up everywhere, in fact there are 23 different restaurants within a 3 mile radius of the hotel including everything from Fine Dining, Steakhouses, to one of the best burger joints in Northern Virginia.

We apologize for the perception of poor service you had, this is definitely not the way we service our guests. Feel free to contact me if I can assist in anyway...

FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

When I arrived at the hotel, there was a staff person standing outside of the check-in counter greeted me with "Aloha". Nice. But there was only one staff member behind the check-in counter and he was on the phone. So I had to stand there waiting for 2 minutes. All the warm feeling that I got from the "Aloha" had been replaced by frustration - "Why can't this greeting person get back behind the check-in counter to do some real work???"

Finally, the check-in staff member hang up the phone and looked up my reservation. The first thing he said blew me away. "You have a reservation of a king-bed room, but we ran out of king-bed rooms. You can have a room with two beds." What? What is the purpose of making a reservation for a specific type of room then? There was no apology or anything from the staff.

Unlike other hotels, the staff did not ask whether I had stayed there before or if I had any questions. He did not offer to introduce/explain what services/features the hotel has either.

The room is not bad. I like the shower stall (without bath tub) and compliment bottle water. The vessel vanity, while not very practical - water may splash out, looks great. The bed does not have a spring box and is not as comfortable as those one would find at other high-end hotels. The TV is mounted on the wall (cannot swivel), but there is no place to sit to watch TV, except on the bed. The TV itself (large LCD) is nice and the room has a connection box that allows one to connect a laptop or MP3 player to the TV using a variety of methods (such as composite video, S-video, HDMI, VGA, ...) . But the room had no connection cables. You have to bring your own to connect your device to the connection box. So if you have a DVD movie, make sure bring a HDMI cable so you can play it on the TV.

The phone did not work - the previous guest must have disconnected the line to the phone (but I would expect the cleaning crew to put it back). It is an VoIP phone, so after I reconnected the phone line, it took about 2 minutes for the phone to work again.

I was too tired to use the pool and other facilities in the hotel that night - so I cannot comment.

The wake-up call was about 7 minutes late next morning. When I left my room key on the check out counter in the morning, a young female staff member standing there did not say a word.

Overall, the hotel represents a very interesting concept, but the execution is poor. The hotel probably hired a bunch of young people in order to mimic the experience one would get from the early Southwest Airlines days. But the staff is poorly trained - gives the impression of non-professional. The hotel itself does give a refresh feeling.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Aloha boca2608,

Thank you once again for staying with us on your recent visit with us. We received your comments both through tripadvisor and the ones you shared with us as well. We apologize for the service level you received during your check-in experience. We take each and every comment very seriously and even the individual who checked you in is very sorry he could not make your experience better. Unfortunately we did over book our king sized rooms the evening of your arrival, and upgraded you to one of our 2 Queen Sized rooms due to your SPG status. We should have explained this more at check-in. Our Queen-Queen rooms are actually larger than our King sized rooms with more space to stretch-out. We do offer a variety of cables for anyone needing one to connect their laptops, DVD Players, or gaming consoles to the Jack-Pack. Our automated wake-up system was re-checked and we found that the telephone server was off by a few minutes and has been corrected.

Once again we really appreciate your stay and we would gladly welcome you back to compare your first visit to your next one. I am available at anytime to help you with this, please do not hesistate to contact me...

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

Hotel is great, rooms are nice, but the location SUCKS. Its west of Dulles, so if you want to drive East, it will cost you $4.50 each way. There are no restaurants close by. Otherwise, nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Aloha eltdog,

Thank you for staying with us, we really do appreciate it. We are glad you liked the hotel. We are really a uniquely different type of hotel in the Dulles Area. Our area is actually beginning to really develop with numerous restaurants, shops, and even a proposed metro stop planned all within walking distance of the hotel. The hidden gem restaurants of the area are all within a 3 mile radius of the hotel.

In the future, the secret local trick around the toll road involves taking Rt 28 at the Dulles Airport to Waxpool Rd and then just make a left onto the Loudon County Parkway and you will find us about a mile down on your right. Using the side roads may cost you a few minutes waiting for the lights, however it does save you $4.50 in tolls...

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

For the price you can not beat this hotel.. yes the rooms are dorm like, but with free shuttle to and from the airport and they let you park there fro 14 days for free are great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!