“Great stay for the money” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
“Great stay for the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

For the price you can not beat this hotel.. yes the rooms are dorm like, but with free shuttle to and from the airport and they let you park there fro 14 days for free are great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Nice place but staff is not. I'd recommend this place though although the staff are not the best staff I've encountered.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
mpatnaik, Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, January 12, 2010
Aloha skc242,

Thank you for taking the time to give the gift of feedback. I have shared your comments with the talent team and we have created a few initiatives to increase the professionalism of the team. We look forward to your next visit as we are certain you will see the changes we have made.

Michael Hess
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I decided to change things up a bit with my girlfriend and reserved a room at the loft for a Saturday night. When I made my reservations online, I requested a room on one of the top floors and as far away from the elevator as possible. When I checked in, I was given a room on the 3rd floor and as close to the elevator as possible! I laughed it off, wondering why even ask someone for their preferences if you aren't even going to take them into consideration.

The room was as expected but one of the blinds was broken and would not close, thus letting lots of light in from the parking lot. I wondered how the hotel staff had not noticed that it was broken, and walked down to the desk to get another room.

My next room was the same as the first now with working blinds. We put our stuff in the room and headed down to the bar area for some drinks. A commendable item about the hotel is that there is a pool table near the bar that you can play for free. This is great except for one minor detail. The pool sticks are literally that, sticks. There are not tips on the end of the sticks which makes for a very loud game of pool.

The bar was nice. The bartender was great. She was very sociable and had excellent customer service.

For the price, I think that Aloft at Dulles is worth it. For me, it is very local and provided a great change of scenery.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Aloha kennethAshburn,

We are excited to see your feedback. We do appreciate the comments about your stay. Just to give you the update, we have a few new talent members at the Aloha Desk and have been working with them to identify guest requests. They have been working hard on their training, and have come a long way.

The company which installed our blinds have been back to the property to correct the manufacturing defects with the roller shades. We have also replaced the pool sticks at the pool table. It seems like our guests get a lot of use out of them.

Thank you once again for your comments, and we look forward to extending another Aloha to you on your next visit.

Michael Hess
Kitcat22
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I agree with the earlier comments about the lobby being overwhelmed with noise. I shouldn't have to shout to overcome the bar's music while i check in!
Aloft has an innovative concept -- trendy, youthful, minimalist. The extreme efficiency in design makes me feel like I'm in my daughter's dorm room. Safe, coffee maker, closet, magazine rack and open shelves (in lieu of dresser with drawers) all in a 5x8 foot wall space. Free wireless internet in the room was great!
All the above was OK, tolerable. But the mattress was really, really firm. No pillow-top comfort here. No Tempurpedic luxe to sink into. Again, like daughter's dorm's futon.
Very clean room and lobby. Recommend to just out of college people.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

So,recently we stayed here 4 nights -- Service is nearly non-existant (I agree with the previous poster who mentioned skeleton crew). Housekeeping -- well, I'm not sure there is any. When we came back after first night, we noticed the sheets weren't changed, so on our way out on the next day we requested this be done. Nice guy at the desk immediately called housekeeping and informed them of the request. 1 set of sheets were left for double room so we could change them ourselves???? We called the desk that evening and got no explanation or offer to remedy the situation. Next morning, nice guy at desk again, said he would do a personal check to make sure our room was clean, and it was that day. He also mentioned that the manager had talked to housekeeping, but apparently not well enough. Loved the shower - seemed like there was plenty of room in the bathroom area and overall in the room for my family of 4. We stayed on the 5th floor and in a corner, so we were spared some of the noise from the bar area. The kids loved the elevator. There was a small (single cup) coffee pot in our room, but no regular coffee. ugh. They offerred us a complementary cup downstairs at their food kiosk area, but on day 2 all there was only decaf and espresso there. We ended up hitting Starbucks. Again, no explanation, apologies or offer to remedy.
We never even looked at the food offerred as we brough our own breakfasts (teenagers are expensive!)
As was mentioned in other posts, the hotel is somewhat difficult to find. We didn't watch TV, so I can't comment there. One thing I thought was missing and would have been nice was the info on the hotel you usually have in your room -- showing pool hours, location of vending and ice machines, things in the area, etc. I'm not sure if we were the only ones missing this or if the hotel itself doesn't offer them? We did see the laundry facilities which seemed average prices in my opinion. The pool was tiny and there was a fitness room but we were too tired to use it! To be fair, we only paid $47 a night (booked thru priceline), so I shouldn't complain too much.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, September 3, 2009
Aloha 2kidsMI,

Thank you for giving us your feedback through Trip Advisor. We appreciate all comments so we can alter our procedures at the hotel and overcome challenges that pave a road of superior hotel product and friendly-efficient service for all of our future guests.

At the Aloft Dulles Airport North hotel and lounge we pride ourselves on being an eco-friendly hotel. With this theme in mind our refresh services adhere to a soak-n-save program which allows our guests to reuse the same towels and bed linen on stays between 1-3 nights. This helps save our earth by not polluting water with detergents. This should have been explained during your check in, and I will have use your feedback as an example as to why it is so important to communicate to our guests.

In addition, our local supplier of coffee was a day late in shipping our product, and this halted our normal guest supplies process for 1 day. We have remedied this situation for all of our future guests.

Lastly since the Aloft brand is very tech savvy, the usual hotel information regarding pool hours, etc is located on the welcome screen of the 42" HDTV instead of in a leather binder on the desk that some are accustomed to. This again should have been explained during the check in process. I will use this as another example in a training exercise with our aloha talent.

Again - thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

DC area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Aloft has a beautiful lobby that doubles as bar with pool table, TVs, and entertainment some nights. The rooms are very trendy with platform beds and flat screen TVs built into the walls. Lots of potential here, but a couple of areas need work. When I checked in, the televisions in the lobby were on full blast. Apparently this is part of the "hip" atmosphere? Why not close captioning and music (not deafening) instead? Another puzzling aspect was the food service or lack thereof. Aloft has a few items for sale but no restaurant service. Breakfast is not included in the price of the room; you can buy yogurt, cereal, coffee, and a banana. Compounding the inconvenience is that this Aloft is in the middle of nowhere -- there were no restaurants anywhere around so I settled for a so-so dinner at the neighboring Hilton Garden Inn. I bought "breakfast" at the neighboring gas station rather than pay for similar breakfast items in the hotel lobby. I like the food service Hyatt Place offers -- something similar would bring things up a notch at Aloft.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
Aloha Beulahrit!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor, I really appreciate the feedback of all of our guests. It is with your feedback that we can improve the quality of hotel product and service.

This past week we have taken a closer examination of our breakfast choices and our all day dining selection which is available 24 hours a day. For breakfast we have an assortment of pastries, hot breakfast sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, muffins, cereal, and oatmeal. We have also added oven fresh donuts and healthy breakfast bars this past week to up the selection.

For lunch and dinner options we have an assortment of freshly made salads and sandwiches as well as salty and savory snacks in our refuel area. At our W xyz bar you can enjoy a cocktail while munching on a heavy appetizer such as buffalo chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, loaded potato skins, egg rolls, tater tots or even personal pan pizzas.

Sometimes our guests are looking for more of heavier meal in which case we will direct guests next door to the American Grill restaurant in the Hilton Garden Inn or schedule a shuttle for our guests that can take them anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. Within these 5 miles are wonderful choices to eat such as: TGI-Fridays, Bonefish Grill, Clyde's Steakhouse, Pho Bistro, IHOP, Cheesecake Factory, Benihana, Red Robin and much much more.

Again, thank you for your comments, and we will see you next time you are in the Dulles Virginia area.

Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I did not stay in the hotel; my mother used my Amex for her one night stay on July 4-
checking out July 5 to go to Italy. However, my Amex was charged $1,056 for a
one day stay on July 5 that did not occur. I see from the reviews that another customer
had a similar experience in June.

Numerous telephone calls to the hotel have been fruitless; my CC was supposed to
be credited on the day of my first phone call.

The hotel sorely needs to review its accounting situation as well as respond to
customer issues in a timely manner. This situation is unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2009
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Let me first start off by apologizing for this issue. Upon further investigation it seems that your card was not charged for $1056, but our hotel computer system asked for this amount as an authorization-hold. It appears that the original reservation was made for multiple days instead of a 1 day reservation.

Guest Service is the Aloft Dulles Airport North's first priority, and when our guests are not satisfied, we can not rest until we fix the problem. Please let us know if you have any further issues with your bill, and we will be more than happy to assist in a speedy resolution.

In addition, please call on me upon your next visit to the Dulles Area so I can upgrade your room type and send you a welcome amenity.

Thank you for your feedback, it is taken very seriously and it is very valued.

Milan Patnaik

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!