“Great potential -- needs a real breakfast” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
DC area
“Great potential -- needs a real breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Aloft has a beautiful lobby that doubles as bar with pool table, TVs, and entertainment some nights. The rooms are very trendy with platform beds and flat screen TVs built into the walls. Lots of potential here, but a couple of areas need work. When I checked in, the televisions in the lobby were on full blast. Apparently this is part of the "hip" atmosphere? Why not close captioning and music (not deafening) instead? Another puzzling aspect was the food service or lack thereof. Aloft has a few items for sale but no restaurant service. Breakfast is not included in the price of the room; you can buy yogurt, cereal, coffee, and a banana. Compounding the inconvenience is that this Aloft is in the middle of nowhere -- there were no restaurants anywhere around so I settled for a so-so dinner at the neighboring Hilton Garden Inn. I bought "breakfast" at the neighboring gas station rather than pay for similar breakfast items in the hotel lobby. I like the food service Hyatt Place offers -- something similar would bring things up a notch at Aloft.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
Aloha Beulahrit!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor, I really appreciate the feedback of all of our guests. It is with your feedback that we can improve the quality of hotel product and service.

This past week we have taken a closer examination of our breakfast choices and our all day dining selection which is available 24 hours a day. For breakfast we have an assortment of pastries, hot breakfast sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, muffins, cereal, and oatmeal. We have also added oven fresh donuts and healthy breakfast bars this past week to up the selection.

For lunch and dinner options we have an assortment of freshly made salads and sandwiches as well as salty and savory snacks in our refuel area. At our W xyz bar you can enjoy a cocktail while munching on a heavy appetizer such as buffalo chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, loaded potato skins, egg rolls, tater tots or even personal pan pizzas.

Sometimes our guests are looking for more of heavier meal in which case we will direct guests next door to the American Grill restaurant in the Hilton Garden Inn or schedule a shuttle for our guests that can take them anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. Within these 5 miles are wonderful choices to eat such as: TGI-Fridays, Bonefish Grill, Clyde's Steakhouse, Pho Bistro, IHOP, Cheesecake Factory, Benihana, Red Robin and much much more.

Again, thank you for your comments, and we will see you next time you are in the Dulles Virginia area.

Milan Patnaik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I did not stay in the hotel; my mother used my Amex for her one night stay on July 4-
checking out July 5 to go to Italy. However, my Amex was charged $1,056 for a
one day stay on July 5 that did not occur. I see from the reviews that another customer
had a similar experience in June.

Numerous telephone calls to the hotel have been fruitless; my CC was supposed to
be credited on the day of my first phone call.

The hotel sorely needs to review its accounting situation as well as respond to
customer issues in a timely manner. This situation is unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2009
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
Let me first start off by apologizing for this issue. Upon further investigation it seems that your card was not charged for $1056, but our hotel computer system asked for this amount as an authorization-hold. It appears that the original reservation was made for multiple days instead of a 1 day reservation.

Guest Service is the Aloft Dulles Airport North's first priority, and when our guests are not satisfied, we can not rest until we fix the problem. Please let us know if you have any further issues with your bill, and we will be more than happy to assist in a speedy resolution.

In addition, please call on me upon your next visit to the Dulles Area so I can upgrade your room type and send you a welcome amenity.

Thank you for your feedback, it is taken very seriously and it is very valued.

Auburn, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed here for three nights recently while visiting relatives and doing some sightseeing in the DC area. We chose the hotel because of the attractive rate and based on positive reviews. It was mostly a pleasant stay, and I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you have business in the Dulles/Ashburn area or if you're flying out of Dulles airport. The hotel has a trendy, funky style that extends from the lobby to the hallways to the guest rooms. The room was decorated in a very modern style, and we felt like we had been transported to Scandinavia (or at least to the nearest IKEA store). The bed was comfortable, the shower was nice and roomy, and the room was quiet despite the hotel's proximity to the airport.

In terms of the location, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, with no restaurants or shoppin close by (except for the gas station in front of the hotel). The hotel is right off a toll road, which pops you for 3 or 4 bucks every time you go anywhere. You can avoid the toll road, but you have to go out of your way to do so.

The staff was friendly, but the shouted "Aloha" greeting every time you approach the front desk does wear on you after a day or so. The staff tries hard to be hip and trendy, but most of the people we encountered were honestly pretty clueless. On one night we were there, neither of the staffers could tell us how much the laundry facilities cost, and they couldn't give us any quarters, sending us next door to the Hilton Garden Inn for change.

All in all, it was a good stay. The location was the big drawback, and that's the one factor that probably would prevent us from staying there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 22, 2009
Aloha Wayne87!

Thank you for your kind comments on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate the feedback.

The Aloft Dulles Airport North hotel is the destination sensation of the Dulles area. There are no other hotels in a 30 mile radius quite like ours.

Our grab-n-go refuel area offers amazing breakfast options and sandwhiches, salads, and snacks 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Our rechage 24-hour fitness area has state of the art equipment with personal televisions on each piece of equipment. Download a PumpOne work out on your iPod from the aloha desk.

Our W xyz bar is the place to relax with a glass of wine, play a game of pool, or bring your own iPod in and be the DJ for 20 minutes.

Take a dip in splash, our indoor heated pool or enjoy complimentary wireless internet anywhere in the buidling!

Again, thank you for you comments on TripAdvisor, we will definately make sure to have enough change for clean, our coin-operated guest laundry area.

South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

The hotel is new and in a good location. It is not directly located near anything, but the buildup around the hotel is coming. It was very clean and modern. You check yourself in and out using a kiosk. It was not that easy to navigate (even for a techie). It was nice not having to deal with front desk clerks. We did not explore the hotel because we got there late and we left the next morning. It had a cute water bowl out front on a bone shaped mat for those with pets. The rooms were new and clean. The beds were great. They have flat screen TVs, coffee maker, iron and board, and safe in each room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Aloha SCTraveler78!

I am very happy to hear that you used our touch-n-go kiosks to check yourself in you room and you like the very clean and modern design of this new hotel lifestyle hotel concept.

Ashburn, VA is located in the area of Dulles North which in a few years will be the home of the Dulles Metro Station. Although development is on its way and our 2009 Chevy Hybrid Tahoe can take you to any shopping mall, movie theater, restaraunt within a 5 mile radius of the hotel.

Thank you for your kind words on TripAdvisor and we will see you next time you are in the Washington Dulles area.

greensboro nc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed in May, 2009 with a complementary stay. The comped stay was due to a stay in April, 2009 where we were overcharged ovewr $1,000 for a stay. The comped stay was to give the Aloft a second look. We stayed on the weekend and were billed again $200.00 to our surprise. After speaking with the clerk about this overcharge, we were told it will not be put through on our credit card. I checked with the credit card company we used to check in with and it was not billed on that card. However, they billed this to a credit card I used to secure the room. After getting the run around, finally spoke with the operations manager who said he would issue a immediate credit and apologized again for the same type of error that caused the comped stay to begin with. I asked for a copy of a credit slip, which I have not recieved and am still awaiting the credit on card. I will never stay at another Aloft as obivously they do not know how to bill customers correctly or fololow though.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Aloha yrisheq!

Through our numerous conversations over the phone, and working with our talent team I have made it a top priority to resolve your billing issue. I am happy to say it has been resolved.

I do apologize sincerely for this matter, we have had a few new team members that don't quiet understand the hotel computer system. We have done an extensive accounting training with all team members to ensure this does not happen again. Please feel free to call me on my direct line should you have any further questions 703-930-2737.

Thanks again for your patience.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

William Chang, the manager, provided our family with two superb rooms on the top
floor away from the downstairs noise. The rooms were spacious, with
excellent lighting, high ceilings and all the techie attachments anyone needs.

We appreciated the fridge, the air mattress for my grandson, zero smoking, and the obvious attention given to the cleanliness in the room and environs.

The Aloft is highly recommended to everyone for a night or extended stay.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Aloha Family_Travelers999,

I am so happy your entire family enjoyed your most recent stay with us. It is very important to me to hear positive and negative feedback so that I can either praise or train the talent team.

I will definitely pass your kind words along to the talent team and I am very happy that you thoroughly enjoyed the 100% smoke free guest lofts, the Camp Aloft kit for kids, and in-room fridge, and the 9 foot ceilings in each guest loft.

We will see you next time you travel to the Washington-Dulles area.

turkieee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the ALOFT twice now and both times we have been impressed with what the hotel has to offer.
WXYZ Bar = awesome! delicious drink specials, very upbeat & friendly bar staff, decor of course was very contemporary and trendy... loved the color scheme and the outside lounge gave the hotel a Miami touch!
Staff= very friendly! very helpful and accomadating! I was greeted with a smile and left with one too!
Service= reservations, checking in and out and all that good stuff ran smoothly! Didnt have any trouble with my CC charges. only thing missing was an ice and soda machine but i was told they are in the process of having them installed so ill let that slide!
Room= I LOVED THE ROOM! bed was verrry comfortable! loved the free bottle of water and coffee/tea selection. Decor was very upbeat! I felll in love with the bathroom design! and as a big products fan.. i have to say the Bliss line of products are amazing and I was over excited that the hotel offered the line. Overall the room was cozy, very clean, ac perfect, style and setting very tasteful!
Other= I was not able to take advantage of the gym and pool and did not get a chance to grab any food from the mini kitchen/deli in the lobby. From the looks of it the gym and pool were clean. Maybe next time I'll check them out. Though I didnt try the food at the bar or deli, friends that were also staying at the hotel same weekend said the selection was huge and very tasteful!
Overall= Loved the miami inspired/friendly atmosphere of ALOFT. Would def. stay there again and ofcourse recommend it to friends and family!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Aloha Turkieee!

I am so happy you liked, as you say, our Miami styled hotel in the middle of Dulles, Virginia.

Our W xyz bar is really the talk of the town. Although we are only 30 minutes away from Washington, D.C. all of the local Dulles townships (Chantilly, Herendon, Sterling, Reston, Ashburn, and Leesburg) come to our hotel and lounge when they want the D.C. nightlife, but don't feel like taking the drive and finding parking.

Please continue to spread the word about our wonderful hotel and thank you for staying with us.

Milan Patnaik

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!