“Great Stay, Wonderful Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Maryland
“Great Stay, Wonderful Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised by the warm ALOHA welcome upon my arrival and the refreshing look of the lobby interior. It is not often that you walk into a hotel that has such a personable aura to itself. The new age, clean cut design seems to shout out to the young business executive and its shiek and happy go lucky attitude easily entices group travellers to relax and unwind in the hotel's public space, rather than in the confines of their rooms. I particularly fancied the pool table as well as a bar area that extends seating througout the lobby floor, as it indeed recharges the senses for a night's transit in dulles, which at times can be very DULL-es. I also enjoyed the high ceiling rooms..! Shuttle to and from the airport is also a great service to have in handy.

Thumbs up for aloft dulles! i hope to check out other aloft hotels across the nation in the near future!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 4, 2009
aloha kboos from Maryland!

I am so very excited that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the new aloft Dulles North hotel - a vision of W Hotels. You are absolutely correct - the design of our re:mix lobby consists of vibrant colors, an attractive W xyz bar and a very sassy pool table. At the aloft - all of the walls have been knocked down creating open spaces and the freedom to mix and mingle.

Thanks again for staying at our new hotel located just minutes from Washington Dulles Airport - the new tWist in travel!

Milan Patnaik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I know this is an unfortunate and negative comment but since it is purely true, it is definitely not slander. My husband and I stayed at the hotel 2 weeks ago and were hoping for a wonderful trip. I was there for a conference for my college doctorate and the issues started the first night! We paid our nights through expedia and had our confirmation at checkin. They couldn't find our reservation. Then that night we see a mysterious charge of 386.00 posted to our bank account. We had no idea what the charge was and we were told all hotels put a hold on a card in case of incidentals, this is NOT true, don't be fooled. We had paid for our stay the only thing we should be charged is for incidentals and we had none. The next day a new charge, this time 380.00, the next day we left, we had had it, their manager was nowhere to be found, corporate didn't even know his name, our bank account had been emptied and no one had any answers or helped!!! This is stealing!! We gave no authorization to be charged almost 1,000.00 for fun? The employee admitted to the mistake but said it would come off that day. We are now almost a week and a half later and these charges have set off a slew of overdrafts, returned checks, cancelling of accounts, etc. We tried to resolve this the first night, but nothing was done, again the 2nd night all night on the phone, again nothing. I had to get out of there, for as beautiful as it was, I had no idea that someone could commit a crime and feel they weren't responsible even though they admitted to being at fault. We left 2 nights early, weren't refunded for that fee either. Instead of having to refund us just one charge of 386.00, they refused to resolve it so we are now two weeks in and over 2,800.00 in charges have arisen from all of the chargebacks and overdrafts from the bills we had knowingly written checks for. We did it because we had the money, until they stole it!! It has been the worst two weeks of our lives trying to resolve this. My husband and I are honest teachers and just want OUR money back!!!!!!!! That is all, what is ours and the fees they cost us which they could have avoided!!! The bank has written them stating they are at fault, their corporate office says they owe us everything and they still say, they only owe us about half and still haven't even paid that. We had to cancel our bank account, file claims with our bank, call about 40 people, contact the hotel everyday and by the way they don't answer the phones and their manager must always be on vacation because when we need him, he is mysteriously not working or cannot be reached. Even expedia contacted them to get them to pay and they told them it had also happened to others that first day. Was that the reason we were the only car in the parking lot. It really is a shame it came to this, I feel we are being so reasonable, many would have called the cops the first night. In fact, at my conference there were many professors stating I should have called the authorities immediately. I guess as a teacher who believes there is good in people, I thought they would come to their senses and make it easy on all of us, but I guess not. They have to realize that by taking this to court, it will cause these fees to continue to rise each day and they will end up paying us double? How is that helping their hotel? Be careful with your bankcards and constantly check your bank statements.I have never dealt with any company so incompetent and when their corporate offices statement to resolve this is "we probably need to better train our employees and managers" you know there is something wrong there. The rest of the staff was wonderful and we have no issues with them, but the managers and "M#" an employee who took our card ( I am being nice by not mentioning names" well they probably would not have a job if they were at any other company. They are dodging our emails, calls, and they have to know by doing this they are just going to be served with a summons to court and well you can't dodge that now can you? Hopefully, someone will come to their senses and pay up ASAP, or this will end unhappy for everyone which is a shame since we gave them more than ample time to fix this issue. This is not a fake story or slander as we have proof that this occured in writing. I do not like to hurt people or businesses and it is killing me to the point I am crying every night. We work hard and that money is about a month's worth of work for us. How do you tell your mortgage and car company you can't pay them because the hotel you were staying in stole the money you had set aside for that payment. The companies want their money and we are already about to now lose our house and car. Also, my college's registration check also was returned and now my school account is on hold and I will receive an incomplete for the conference (residency), that costs 900.00 so that will now be added. It is a shame that good people have to be hurt like this.
From: The couple who just wants their money back including the fees due so when I go in for surgery next week I have a peace of mind.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, January 26, 2009
aloha ellegirl79,

The purpose of this response it to convey my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced during your most recent stay and with respect to funds authorized on your debit card.

As stated in our numerous talks and email communications with you and your husband, all charges from the hotel were credited back to your account and we agreed on paying the overdraft fees you incurred as well.

Let me assure you that what happened in your case is not typical of the aloft’s guest service. We continue to be committed to providing you and all of our guests with the highest of standards of service in the industry. Because of your direct feedback, we have completed an extensive training of this exact concern with our entire aloft talent team.

We hope and pray your surgery goes well. We would like to have you back to our hotel for a three day weekend at no charge so you can relax and reinvigorate after your hospital stay. Further, you will be given a voucher of $100 to use toward incidentals food, movies, and our W xyz bar.

maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

The a loft hotel is the perfect accomodation for any business traveler or family. It is high tech, wonderful for meetings, has a chic bar, great breakfast - so much better than your run of the mill continental with lots of healthy options. We enjoyed state of the art fitness center - treadmills even have ipod docking stations-download a workout at the front desk!!! Rooms are perfect with flat screen TV's, great beds, total comfort. The staff was well trained and polite. Check in/out was so easy. The conference room is inviting and would accomodate any type of meeting, Nothing is too high tech for this hotel. We are coming back in a month!! It is so close to Dulles Airport that it will be our hotel of choice whenever we fly out of Washington D.C.

• Liked — everything is modern and up to date
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, January 6, 2009
aloha Shorma from Maryland!

We are so happy and excited that you had such a wonderful experience at the aloft Dulles North hotel. We do have an over the top awesome aloft! I am particularly happy that you enjoyed the hi-tech gadgets and design of the hotel and chic bar. Thank you for choosing our hotel as your number one destination sensation in the Washington-Dulles area. If you need anything prior to your next visit please do not hesitate to contact me at milan.patnaik@aloftdulles.com.

Thank you again for taking the time out to write such a nice review for our hotel.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

This hotel had been open 1 week and 1 day when I arrived. The area around the hotel is mostly undeveloped as of yet. There is a quick mart and a soon to be open Hilton Garden Inn in the immediate area. Anything else would be a 5-10 drive away. Being a new hotel they currently don't have a lot of guests and the staff was very friendly, attentive, and eager to have something to do. Of course everything in my room was new and in working order. The layout of the room is fairly untraditional with a wall in the center of the space separating the bath are from the bed area. In the bed area the sink area is located outside of the bathroom with a modern vessel style sink. Opposite of the sink is a shelving are containing all of the odds and ends from magazines (including my favorite Dwell), the coffee maker and supplies, the room safe, and extra pillows. The toilet and shower area are separated from the rest of the room by a mirrored sliding door. There is a large glass-enclosed shower and no tub in the room -- which is not an issue for me but might be for some. The bed area contained the bed. a desk under one window, an upoulstered bench under the wall mounted LCD TV, and an cabinet under the other window. The room does seem on the small side but I'm sure that's to encourage you down to the lobby/lounge area.

Except for the circular front desk which looked as if it should be staffed by Marcia Wallace, the ground floor is devoted to lounge/bar space. During my stay this went mostly unused due to the lack of guests as of yet. I did spend some time at the bar which also has a mostly appetizer type menu. The lounge area does open to an outdoor area with seating but of course December is not the time to use that.

If you like the hip, modern boutique look and feel and the lack of a full service restaurant isn't a problem for you then you will most likely enjoy this property once they get settled in. I got a great rate so it worked for me either way.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mpatnaik, General manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, January 3, 2009
aloha Ajva from Richmond, VA!

We are so happy that you took the time to review our new hotel after your most recent stay with us. I just wanted to thank you for your generous response and for staying with us while you were in the Dulles area. I know that you could have stayed at a number of hotels in the area, and we really appreciate the fact that you stayed with us. I hope, in the next few weeks, to have the hotel and W xyz lounge strategically marketed so that the aloft Dulles North is a place where more personalities can mingle, and opportunities abound. Please contact me if you ever need anything in the future at milan.patnaik@aloftdulles.com.

Thanks again!
Milan Patnaik

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!