“Ok for what I needed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Vienna, Virginia
“Ok for what I needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here for two nights (the night before my wedding and then the night of my wedding). Having stayed at the Aloft at the National Harbor, I knew I liked the chain and the atmosphere. However, this hotel clearly has a lot of traffic to it. For being only 4 or so years old, it has a lot of wear and tear.
My room had two queen beds and was fairly comfortable. The sliding door to the toilet/shower area would open on it's own/not stay shut. The walls, however, looked like someone had done some touch up painting on the ceiling and didn't properly cover the walls/carpet because there were random white drips on the wall on the grey paint. Either that or the grey paint had been scraped off in some places. I could also see that the window had been drawn on with a finger at one point and never cleaned because it showed when I went to close the blinds the first night. Like another reviewer mentioned, I know other people have stayed before me, but seeing the remnants is kinda icky. Makes me wonder if the rest of the room was actually clean
None of these things directly affected my stay, but it was disappointing to see because it made the room very worn and made it look like the hotel didn't care about appearance.
The night before my wedding (it was a Friday night), they had a DJ playing in the lobby/bar area. Unfortunately I got there right as he was wrapping up but it seemed to draw a good crowd of people (from the hotel or from outside, I'm not sure). My friend and I decided to get a drink from the bar to take back to our room. They had two mixed drink specials that night so I decided to try one. Unfortunately, I took one sip and my face immediately puckered. It was WAY to strong for me to even try to choke down so I asked the bartender if I could please have a different drink (just a glass of white wine). She agreed but made me pay the difference between the mixed drink and the wine. It was only an extra $2.50, however, a good bartender would have not asked me to make up the difference when I didn't even have the first drink.

The gentleman, Nick, at the desk was very friendly the few times I asked him some questions.
All in all, it worked for what I needed over my wedding weekend but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are staying on a Friday night, I'd suggest a room on a higher floor so you aren't abo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your comments. I'm sorry to hear that you missed our live entertainment that we have weekly on most Fridays and Saturdays. Please accept our apologies for the concerns with your room. We are working on updating our hotel and is making tremendous strives to be completed with our preventative maintenance soon. We hope to have you try us again soon.

Ralph Shorter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Having been a SPG member for over two years, we have never been to any Aloft hotels before. We decided to try one to see how it differs from other brands under SPG, like Sheraton, or W. It turns out a little disappointing. The room is a little small compare to the same rate room in Sheraton. No breakfast was served. We will probably stick to a Sheraton hotel next time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your stay experience. We are sorry that we did not compare to the Sheraton. I would agree we are different, and offer a much more vibrant experience. We hope to have you try us again, and look forward to welcoming you back at one of our Starwood hotels soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Aloft brand is the little brother to the W and this particular one lives up to the atmosphere goal. The service was impeccable and the room as expected. My Starwood status was recognized and the benefits properly given. I would have given an excellent overall but the carpet in the bathroom had a big stain and that is a minus in overall rating. I will visit again while in the area

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 2 nights on business. I always enjoy the Aloft brand..I was definitely pleased with this location. The rooms are always clean, comfortable and have just the right amount of outlets for all of my gadgets!!! Since I'm traveling for work...I bring the laptop, ipad and two cell phones...the charging dock was handy. There's always a great selection of snacks and food throughout the day. I did workout at the gym and was pleased with the facility. I will be back next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our talent delivered great customer service. Thank you very much for your sharing your stay experience, and we look forward to your next stay.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here one night. We did not know what to expect as we normally stay at Marriott properties and won this on priceline. It was a fun and interesting hotel experience. The check-in went smoothly and the front desk staff is very good. However, we arrived on a Friday night about 10 PM and it was so loud in the lobby/check-in due to the music and dancing going on that I could not hear the desk clerk much. I pretty much had to read his lips to catch what he was saying. I requested a quiet room and he obliged.

The room was very sleek and modern. The bed was comfortable. However, there were a few things that I did not care for: first, there was no bar soap for the sink or shower. There were two dispensers of liquid soap and shampoo inside the shower but nothing for the sink to use to wash your hands or face. Personally, I do not like the dispenser idea for a hotel. I prefer individualized portions. It just seems more sanitary than a communal soap/shampoo dispenser. That was odd to me and I thought they need to have some type of soap available at the sink. The other thing I did not care for was the visibility within the room to another room. I opened our shades in the morning as we were dressing and I could clearly see directly into another room of guests and they could look into our room. Of course, I pulled the shade back down since we were dressing but that seemed to be a bad design. Guests should not be able to peer into other guest rooms.

One other thing: it was noisy. Now we were there on a Friday night so it may not always be so loud, but there was a lot of hall noise that was carried into our room. We cranked up the air so as to give us some white noise in an attempt to drown out the noise, but it was very noisy.

It sounds all bad but the room was clean (my most important quality in a room), it was updated and modern looking and feeling, it was plenty roomy enough for the 2 of us, the staff was nice and accommodating, the coffee in the lobby was good the next morning. There were just a few of those things I mentioned above that made it less than it could have been.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your guest experience. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our amazing service and our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Walls are paper thin. One can hear--ALL bodily functions through the walls. I don't know if manager can find you a less connected room--if so ask for it.

I did like the modern architecture and actually found beds comfortable--if only I had been able to sleep from inter-room noise. Rooms, however are not particularly clean and show effects of a high-traffic hotel hotel.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear of your stay experience. We strive to not only meet our guest expectations, but with exceeding them.

We want to welcome you back, and will assure that your room is located in our recluse location. We are improving everyday, and we are committed to making your future stay delightful.

Warm regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

After reading the reviews, I'm surprised about what I read. This place was really comfortable. It's about a 15-20 minute drive away from Dulles Airport, and there isn't anything near the hotel. I ended up eating at the hotel, and the food was really good.

Customer service was amazing. Every time I walked by the front desk, the guy greeted me by my name. And when I was ordering food at the bar, they were very friendly. The shuttle from the airport was comfortable, and I was offered a bottle of water that was nice.

The rooms are standard for Aloft hotels, so it was what I expected.

Aside from the location, which I don't like, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you choose to stay with us and enjoyed our great customer service. We would agree that we have a nice hotel, that offers a comfortable night's sleep, update, clean and with exceptiona food and beverage services.

Thank you once again for your business and feedback, we are looking forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Ralph Shorter

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!