“Just like a dorm!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Washington, DC
“Just like a dorm!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The design of the room was cool. It had what you needed and had modern touches. There were some scuff marks on the walls and I wasn't a big fan of the communal (like in a fitness club's showers) shower gel and shampoo, but it was fine for the price.

However, I felt like I had checked into a youth hostel or a dorm. I had to wait at the front desk (since the kiosks didn't work) for the attendants to come out from the back room (one of whom was still there when I checked out in the morning, and was playing ping pong in the lobby with one of his friends). When they finally came out to the desk to check me in, one attendant told me I looked tired (and not in a sympathetic way!) and the other announced my room number so loudly, I'm certain the entire lobby heard him. Ordinarily I don't think about the age of the people who work at a front desk, but here, it felt like this was these people's summer job and they weren't taking it too seriously. The walls of the room were also super thin - I had the baseball game on TV and could still hear what sounded like a college party in the next room - and both elevators had blankets up on the walls like someone was moving their household goods into the hotel. When I checked out, I asked for a receipt since I had just handed over my credit card, and I was told since I direct billed (through Hotwire), I couldn't get one. Which is not acceptable to me.

I get that a Aloft hotel is not a real W hotel, but I expected a higher level of professionalism from this staff and a bit better maintenance of the facilities. I'd stay at Aloft again - just not this one!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm dissapointed to hear that you did not enjoy the Aloft experience. We are a unique hotel that offers our guest space outside of the normal. Our environment is very eclectic, hip and modern and our talent is comprable.

Most of our guest 'try us" and appreciate the unique experience. I hope that you will do the same, as we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Ralph Shorter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I’m sure this was a great place when it opened 5 years ago but since then it looks like everything has gone downhill, they have not put a penny into anything to say its frayed around the edges is an understatement. Checkout my picture of the main lobby furniture and of the large square settee without a back or arms I took a close up of one of the corners of this settee and you will see this is indicative of the condition of the rest of this hotel, the room rugs were filthy the place is dirty. When I tried calling down to the lobby for a wake-up call no one would answer the phone never again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am please to share since your visit we have upgraded our lobby funiture. We would agree that after 5-years our property is showing normal "wear and tear" and we are working to improve and upkeep our hotel.

Thanks you once again for your stay and comments. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed here on business for a few nights. The room was spacious and clean, although oddly laid out. Property seems to be in need of some minor upkeep: scratches and stains on walls in the room, torn and tattered furniture in a few places in the lobby. Bar was good enough, but seemed to just about always be closed (apparently doesn't stay open past 10:30-11:00pm). All in all, not bad, and very convenient, but could use a few improvements.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you. We are so glad you found our location ideal and our talent so friendly and helpful. We are constantly looking to upgrade our property conditions and the items that you notice during your visit. We hope to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Because of the location I frequently use this a loft for my business travel. The staff is very welcoming, and knowledgeable of the local area. Rachel Joffrions humor, hospitality & wit are very welcomed attributes for the frequent, weary traveler. The next best thing to actually being home!!

• Stayed July 2013
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I appreciate you taking to the time to share your experience! I am very pleased to hear that we are able to create a memorable experience for you and always exceed your expectations. I will share your kind feedback with Rachel and our talents. We are looking forward to connecting with your on your next visit.

Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked there due to the closeness to the airport since I had to leave very early in the am and they allowed the car to be park for free while on my trip. Also the shuttle to airport was another convenience. Service is somewhat minimal but that is expected in this brand. Food so so although if you are on your own and need a comfortable room ( modern decor) for a short stay it works fine .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you. We are so glad you found our location ideal and our talent so friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel was a nightmare. The rooms are not clean and the service is inefficient. I had asked for a wakeup call and did not even get that - unfortunately I was late for a very important meeting. As a SPG privilege member, my humble advice to all of you is to stay away from this property.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel...there is one next door to this one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
I apologize for your poor experience and will review the housekeeping/Front Desk challenges with our team. Our goal is to always exceed the expectations of our guest. Thank you again for your visit and my apologies again for your disappointing experience.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We recently were sent here by our airline after weather delays caused us to miss our connecting flight and no others were available until the next night. The shuttle was convenient and quick and yes, while this hotel is not exactly right by the airport, it is pretty nearby so it was still easy access. The hotel has a very modern look and a cool, urban vibe. The guy at the check in desk was very helpful, nice, and more than accommodating even though we staggered in disheveled and exhausted after our travel woes. The beds were comfy and the room was clean and well-enough appointed and oh-so-much-better than the airport floor! If you are a traveler in need of a quick respite, this hotel will be the shoe that fits.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time and writing this great review about our property. It was a pleasure to have you here as our guest, and I am very pleased to learn that our service met your expectations. We do concur that we are one of the most convenient hotel in the Dulles area and we strive with exceeding our guest expectations. We will look forward to welcome you back soon!

Aloha,

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!