“Disgusting, Poor customer service and untrained employees” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Ashburn
Yonkers, New York
“Disgusting, Poor customer service and untrained employees”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

When you have a company rate, they love to stick you by the elevator. I didn’t ask to moved, I didn’t think it would be that noisy. Big mistake! Night one between the AC that can’t be controlled and the elevator, I was up every hour. We also had breakfast included and the vouchers were not given to us. I had to ask for them the next day. I didn’t need to show them the confirmation; it was already in the system, which tells me the front desk person didn’t bother to look when we arrived.
I come back from my meeting after my first night staying at the hotel and the room has been cleaned. I sit on the bed and to my surprise and amazement; there are nail clippings on the sheets and on the floor near the bed. Hmmmm…. I already slept in that bed and those clippings were not mine. So this means the sheets were not changed before I arrived, they just remade the bed and gave me the room and obviously, the person who stayed there before me, cut their nails in bed! How lovely….so I called the front desk and told them. He didn’t understand what a nail clipping was; I had to explain that to him. He says to me, ok I’ll change your room, no apology, no refund. Off to room number 2, so much quieter, this was great. Clean….not so much. I took a shower and as the steam began to cover the glass a big man handprint was on the glass. So now I have to visualize someone else using this shower. I know things happen in hotels but to get a visual because the room isn’t cleaned properly is unacceptable. Also the water pooled in the shower and the cleaning person didn’t push it down the drain so it sat there the whole day. The rooms are also poorly decorated and depressing. The breakfast is ok but I’d rather pay extra to have a full breakfast or a better selection.
Poor customer service and untrained employees
So my co-worker and I decide to go to a place about 2.5 miles away called the V Brewery. She wanted to take the hotel shuttle. They informed her they would pick us up unless the shuttle was doing airport runs, if that was the case they would get us a cab. 11:30 pm rolls around and I call the shuttle. They tell me they can’t pick us up because of airport runs. I said ok give me the number to a cab, since he clearly was not going to call for us. He gives me a number to a “cab” I swear it was someone who was sleeping after I called 3 or 4 times he finally picked up and he sounded half asleep and said we were too far. I called every cab in Virginia, NO ONE would come get us. I called the hotel again about the shuttle and they said no. So it’s now 1:30AM and I was about to walk the 2.5 miles….it’s drizzling, cold and miserable. And I googled the distance and directions out of desperation. Literally 100 feet away is the Embassy Suites, we decide to go in and BEG for a ride. Come to find out that Embassy Suites handles the Aloft shuttle service. The person at the front desk apologized for the Aloft and said they didn’t tell us you were literally right here, of course we’ll take you back. I was floored. I can’t believe that the front desk person at the Aloft, who knew exactly where we were didn’t ask, he rather have two customers stranded in the dark waiting for an imaginary cab for hours.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Luis K, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you to write a long review regarding your recent stay with us. We are fortunate to have this kind of reviews from our guest's to correct the problems occuring when they are in our property.

I am sincerely apologize to you for all these problems you have been going through and also I will assure you that in future we will do our best service possible for your upcoming stay with us.

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I am originally from the area and one of the best things about this hotel is the location. It is located right off the tollroad and everything, including the airport, is so easily accessible whether it is from their shuttle or not. The rooms are spacious and nice, the decor in the hotel is nice and unique, and I thought the staff was great. If you are just passing through the area to visit family, like I was, or you need a place to stay during your travels then this is a perfect option. However, if you are expecting a Disney type resort then clearly you were looking at the wrong hotels anyway. My one complaint would be the lack of room service, but even that was tempered by their "refuel" options that I found nice, even if it was slightly expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your valuable review. I hope to see you again in our Aloft and enjoy your stay..
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at Aloft through the Park Sleep Fly program. We spent the night at the hotel, parked our car in the hotel parking lot and then took the shuttle to Dulles Airport. The room itself was fairly comfortable but the hotel had few extras. There was no restaurant. There was a place where they sell a minimum number of items to eat. However at night and early in the morning there is not much to be had. Since we had a 6:15 flight, we had arranged with the hotel desk for a wake up call and for a shuttle ride to the airport. The staff forgot to give us the wake up call--fortunately, we also set our alarm. The hotel is listed as having its own shuttle 24 hours a day. However they have not hired anyone to drive said shuttle on Fridays and Saturdays. The staff knew that but did not mention this until we came down early in the morning to catch our scheduled shuttle. The person at the desk told us that since they did not have a shuttle driver they were going to get another hotel to take us to the airport but it would be later than the time they originally scheduled us. Aloft did have a driver to pick us up from the airport for our Thursday return. The Aloft van had a distinct musty odor. I asked to speak to a manager about our experience. The person at the desk transferred me to an extension so that I could leave a message. I left a message and have never heard back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It is my pleasure to let you know that we have shuttle driver's for our property and they ran according to our guest's needs. Unfortunately, the day and time you are having trouble which is understandable and I am sincerely apologize to you for any inconvenience that cause your stay uncomfortable. I hope your future stay will be memorable.

Thanks for your review.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at Aloft so we could take an early plane out of Dulles the next morning and leave our car to be picked up upon return.
This Aloft is disadvantaged by its location. While close to the airport as the crow flies, it's a real roundabout to get there from the airport unless you take the toll road ($5 each way). Especially during the (ever expanding) Northern Virginia rush hour.
It was also understaffed with only one person at the front desk... with resulting long waits to check in/out if you hit when there are other guests or the phone is ringing. To their credit, the staff did work hard at meeting our needs. We didn't eat there although we did buy an overpriced bagel on the way to the plane in the morning. This Aloft did not rise to the level of our other Aloft stay (O'Hare). Given that time is money, I think we'll pay a bit more next time and stay a lot closer to the airport.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is unfortunate for us to know that we did not giving you a better service when you stayed with us. As you know that we are not that close to the Airport but we try to minimize our guest's expectations as a Airport Hotel and try to resolve their needs as much as we can. I am apologized to you for your unpleasant stay and wish to see you again in our property.

Thanks for your review.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel was semi-close to the airport, but it was not as close as I thought it would be. I came in from vacation late and reserved the hotel ahead of time so I would not have to drive a great distance back to my home. The hotel was probably a 10-15 minute drive from the airport. I ended up on a toll road on the way to the hotel. On the bright side, hotel parking was free.

The hotel check-in was easy and without any issues. We were also hungry and the closest food was about 5 miles away. But, the hotel had a list of directions and restaurants available. The hotel room was fairly nice. It had plenty of electrical outlets, a refrigerator, and an in-room safe. Unfortunately, the room was not clean. There were marks all over the walls, a big brown stain on the sheet, and the heating/cooling unit was extremely noisy. My girlfriend and I woke up around 2:45 AM and the heating/cooling unit sounded like a jet engine. We were afraid the unit was going to explode. I called downstairs and talked to the man working the counter named Mo. Mo stated he was doing an inventory-type check or something and would get back to me shortly with a solution. Less than five minutes later, Mo called me back and stated he had another room for me. I went downstairs and got the new keys and moved rooms. I moved from room 512 to room 519. The second room was not exactly clean either, nor did it have a refrigerator, but the heating/cooling unit worked properly. While my hotel stay was not up to par, I applaud Mo for taking care of me as a customer without hesitation or a second thought.

My girlfriend and I breakfast in the morning. I am unsure if I received it because of my Platinum status or if I booked it under my rate, but the food was simply average. I received a coupon for a hot breakfast sandwich, a water/Gatorade, and chips/candy. I ordered a turkey, egg, and cheese on a bagel and she simply had a bagel with cream cheese (we paid for hers). The food did not taste fresh.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your review regarding our service. We always try to give a better and comfortable service to our guest's and we know that we are not perfect for all the needs of our valuable guest's which reflects to our guest's needs. I hope you understand and give us future opportunities to give you better service.

Thank you for stay with us and will see you again.
Berlin, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Whenever I visit my grandsons in VA I stay at the Aloft in Ashburn. It is always pleasant and very convenient. The staff is friendly and courteous.
The breakfast is minimal but enjoyable, but as I am visiting family this is not an issue. There is a nearby hotel, same driveway, that has full restaurant service.

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review and we will assure you to give better service in future to get the best reviews from you. Again thank you for stay with us.
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Has all the opportunity to be a good ALoft but for some reason Management is not concerned with quality. Checked into 2 dirty rooms, and also was locked out of room because they had not transferred room to new name. The beds were not made well and towels not refreshed well.

Also the furniture in the lobby was falling apart and had tears. The bar closed early one evening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for stay with us and give us a good review about your experience wih us. Unfortunately your stay was not a memorable one and we always try to get advice and suggestions from our guest's like you and try to resolved the problems according to our abilities.

Again thank you for your comments.

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!