“Decent Hotel but not One of the Better Aloft Properties” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
“Decent Hotel but not One of the Better Aloft Properties”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel was semi-close to the airport, but it was not as close as I thought it would be. I came in from vacation late and reserved the hotel ahead of time so I would not have to drive a great distance back to my home. The hotel was probably a 10-15 minute drive from the airport. I ended up on a toll road on the way to the hotel. On the bright side, hotel parking was free.

The hotel check-in was easy and without any issues. We were also hungry and the closest food was about 5 miles away. But, the hotel had a list of directions and restaurants available. The hotel room was fairly nice. It had plenty of electrical outlets, a refrigerator, and an in-room safe. Unfortunately, the room was not clean. There were marks all over the walls, a big brown stain on the sheet, and the heating/cooling unit was extremely noisy. My girlfriend and I woke up around 2:45 AM and the heating/cooling unit sounded like a jet engine. We were afraid the unit was going to explode. I called downstairs and talked to the man working the counter named Mo. Mo stated he was doing an inventory-type check or something and would get back to me shortly with a solution. Less than five minutes later, Mo called me back and stated he had another room for me. I went downstairs and got the new keys and moved rooms. I moved from room 512 to room 519. The second room was not exactly clean either, nor did it have a refrigerator, but the heating/cooling unit worked properly. While my hotel stay was not up to par, I applaud Mo for taking care of me as a customer without hesitation or a second thought.

My girlfriend and I breakfast in the morning. I am unsure if I received it because of my Platinum status or if I booked it under my rate, but the food was simply average. I received a coupon for a hot breakfast sandwich, a water/Gatorade, and chips/candy. I ordered a turkey, egg, and cheese on a bagel and she simply had a bagel with cream cheese (we paid for hers). The food did not taste fresh.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis K, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review regarding our service. We always try to give a better and comfortable service to our guest's and we know that we are not perfect for all the needs of our valuable guest's which reflects to our guest's needs. I hope you understand and give us future opportunities to give you better service.

Thank you for stay with us and will see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Berlin, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Whenever I visit my grandsons in VA I stay at the Aloft in Ashburn. It is always pleasant and very convenient. The staff is friendly and courteous.
The breakfast is minimal but enjoyable, but as I am visiting family this is not an issue. There is a nearby hotel, same driveway, that has full restaurant service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review and we will assure you to give better service in future to get the best reviews from you. Again thank you for stay with us.
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Has all the opportunity to be a good ALoft but for some reason Management is not concerned with quality. Checked into 2 dirty rooms, and also was locked out of room because they had not transferred room to new name. The beds were not made well and towels not refreshed well.

Also the furniture in the lobby was falling apart and had tears. The bar closed early one evening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for stay with us and give us a good review about your experience wih us. Unfortunately your stay was not a memorable one and we always try to get advice and suggestions from our guest's like you and try to resolved the problems according to our abilities.

Again thank you for your comments.
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel provides an excellent experience for fly and drive from Washington Dulles airport. The hotel staff were very helpful in getting me to and back from the airport. Rooms are large, comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed April 2013
thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff i will be sure to pass them along letting them know their efforts are noticed
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Standard aloft layout and amenities. Casual relaxed staff and clean, solid rooms. No complaints - overall a good stay and a good choice in the area. I didn't use the hotel gym or grab a drink at the bar, but both looked very nice.

Room Tip: There's not much in the way of restaurants nearby, so grab breakfast at the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedbck concerning your stay we are pleased to hear you found our hotel met your needs and look forward to seeing you again in the near future .
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I really like the atmosphere. Upon check in I was greeted with a smile by Rachel Joffrion, who expedited my check in, as well as inform me of all amenities that the Aloft had to offer. I enjoyed my stay, and recommend this location to all travelers.

• Stayed April 2013
Luis K, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We greatly appreciate your nice feedback on our hotel as well as the nice comments made about Rachel! I will make sure to share this and commend her on a job well done!

We hope to see you again soon!

Luis Kuglitsch
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I booked this for my hubby and I for a cruise we were taking. While we only live a few miles from BWI, I could not find airfare to Fort Lauderdale for less than $800 RT. I found airfare from Dulles for $398 RT. We considered having our kids drop us at the airport, but DC traffic is abominable at best. I checked a few sites recommended by frequent cruisers and came up with booking through Stay1-2-3 for this property. This proved to be a great option for us as we had an early AM flight to Florida.

We were greeted warmly by the hotel staff upon our arrival. I was sort of concerned since I had booked through a third party site because of problems I have had in the past of the reservation even being on the books, but it was there. She answered all our questions, booked the shuttle to the airport, gave us suggestions on restaurants since we didn't know the area and told us where to park our car for the 9 days we were to be away. Totally loved the urban vibe going on with the lobby and ALL staff we met were very friendly and helpful!

Our room was nice...fourth floor king. Definitely no complaints there. There were a few things that I would change. A night light in the bath area would be great! Turning on the lights was a little goofy and I couldn't see and ended up turning all the lights on in the room during the night. We never did figure out what one of the switches did. Waking my hubby up did NOT make me happy though! The shower was nice and big....REALLY LIKED the bath area. Complimentary shower gel and shampoo worked well! Bed was uber comfy! The heater/AC was an odd sort of set up as another person wrote, but we didn't use it at all....I could see where it would be an issue though. Free coffee in the lobby would be preferable for those leaving for early AM flights, but we made it in the room (Love the fact there are paper goods and a single cup brewer to make coffee in...no worries on how things were cleaned!) and it was all good. There were some dings on the wall from the computer chair being moved against the wall....not a deal breaker, but we did notice it. I just chalked it up to people need to be a little careful. Our phone wake up call went fine, but we couldn't get it turned off...we finally figured it out (or it might have defaulted after five times ringing, who knows?) so the next time we will look before we have the option set up....to be honest, my cell phone worked just as good (I had never set up the alarm on it before), so I may not even have the hotel set it the next trip. My only real grip would be the pillows....full size would be great. I felt like they had decorative pillows on the bed. They just aren't big enough and my hubby took the third one so I was left with one tiny one. Definitely a suggestion I would throw Westin's way!

We had shuttle service to and from the airport. I know others have commented they had issues catching the shuttle on the way back, but we had no issues getting it at all. Our car was safe the entire week. As this is the first time we have ever parked the car and left it for the week, we had an initial concern about since we own convertible two seaters. The car was fine...no problems at all! All in all a great experience and we expect to book the Aloft once again as we will be flying out of Dulles in December for another cruise I have book I got airfare for the two of us for $200 RT!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
"WOW", thank you so much for the amazing feedback! I am really happy to hear that our team made your stay exceptional. It's always nice to hear such great motivating feedback which I will make sure to share with our team. I will definitely look into the complimentary coffee for our early morning guests that have reserved park and fly's. We hope that you folks do come see us again soon!

Once again, thank you so much for your generous feedback and cant wait to see you again!

Thanks,

Luis Kuglitsch

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!