“Modern and cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Toronto, Canada
“Modern and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had a cozy stay at the aloft Hotel. It has a modern decor and it was very quiet.
The breakdown:
-The beds where comfortable
-only 10 minutes from the Dulles Airport
-There is a 24 hour complimentary shuttle to the airport
-Staff were friendly and helpful
-We did have a small issue with our room not being adequately cleaned from the prior guests (but I'm hoping that this was an isolated incident).

We would return to this hotel...we'll just double check that the room has been properly cleaned before we get settled in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
You can always count on us! Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear that my Team has made your stay memorable. We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to your next visit soon. I apologize for the slight overlook with your room and will bring this to the attention of our housekeeping team.

General Manager, Aloft Dulles North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
G'boro NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

aLoft's Park, Sleep, Fly is the best deal going. With a friendly staff, hip lobby/bar with pool table and highly functional rooms, this is the ideal choice. Plenty of room for luggage in spare but stylish rooms. Check it out. I think you'll like it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members. I'm glad that you liked our pool table as this is a nice highlight at Aloft hotels!

Ashburn, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a GREAT hotel! The rooms allowed dogs and treated them great. The rooms were fantastic and felt like a luxury room with glass shower and a bench for the dogs.

The hotel even had a bar in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've stayed in Starwood Hotels across the country and this one is by far the worst. I paid with the stay with Starwood points, yet have significant charges on my credit card that they are unable to explain because they can't look at past stays. I've never been more disappointed in a Starwood hotel, and recommend staying away from this one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Hotel seems pretty new and if you've stayed at an Aloft before then it will be exactly what you expect. However, there is very little around this location other than a gas station and another hotel so plan accordingly.

• Stayed December 2012
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! There are plenty of restaurants within a few miles from the hotel along with Dulles Town Center Mall with plenty of shopping and great restaurants there as well.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Aloft for almost 3 weeks about 7 months ago then just stayed again last week. This hotel has a really odd appeal despite a few annoyances. The hotel location is good as long as you want to be close to the airport and a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the DC area. Its quiet without the issue of parking etc. With that said, there isn't that many restaurants in the area, so you have to be willing to drive a few minutes. The rooms themselves are modern and clean. I have found that the first night I am there is typically the cleanest then its kind of hit and miss depending on who is cleaning your room. The beds are fair. The pillows a bit small. The television and bathroom are great. I love the shower which has a hug shower head. The refrigerator is small and loud but useful. That would be the one big thing the hotel could work on..consistency. Some of the front desk employees are amazing, some less so. When I arrived last week, the nice man at the desk actually remembered me despite having not been there for like 7 months. This was refreshing. Overall, I definitely recommend if you want a good, relaxed experience for a bargain price. If you are expecting the Four Seasons...go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I appreciate your feedback on consistency as this is a key area for our hotel. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Avoid this hotel if you're going to rely on the airport shuttle to get you to/from IAD. There is no dedicated Aloft shuttle and the staff do not have direct access to the driver to arrange rides, causing significant (read: 60 minutes+) delays.

I called the hotel shuttle shortly after arriving at IAD, and was told it would arrive in 15 minutes. It actually took about 65-70 minutes to arrive. I called the front desk 3 times during the ordeal to check on the shuttle, and was told it was stuck in traffic because of a "bad accident." However, once finally on the shuttle, the driver told me that there was no traffic or accident! It turns out he had been waiting idle outside the Hilton the entire time! This is where it gets interesting - even though the Aloft advertises a free shuttle, it actually doesn't have it's own and borrows one from the Hilton next door. The driver said he only got the pick up call 15 minutes ago from the Hilton (yes, Hilton not Aloft, that's right) staff. Interestingly, he didn't seem surprised and claimed similar lies from the Aloft staff happen frequently. It seems, the Aloft staff doesn't have any direct access to it's own advertised shuttle and makes up traffic accidents to explain to guests why the shuttle hasn't arrived to pick them up. Also important to note, the shuttle avoids the toll road, adding about 12 minutes to commute time to/from IAD.

Upon arrival at Aloft, I spoke to the front desk agent about the situation. He seemed embarrassed but initially apathetic. He deflected blame, claiming that the Hilton front desk was the source of the made up story. After he discovered I was an SPG Platinum member, I was offered free food and drinks. The agent took my contact info and told me the general manager, Luis, would be calling in the next 2 days - but it didn't happen.

On to outbound trip to IAD, departure of the hotel shuttle was delayed as well. Several other guests on the shuttle with me were getting impatient - and wondering whether they still had enough time to make their flights - because the shuttle left 35 minutes later than they were told.

The rooms themselves are clean and what you'd expect from an Aloft, even though the service does not live up to Starwood standards. There's free WiFi in rooms, lots of breakfast items available for purchase, and the lobby is nicely furnished with computers for printing boarding passes. They only have one person working during the night and so if you have any sort of issue with the room you have to wait until morning, which can be extremely inconvenient if you have an early morning flight.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide additional feedback on your recent visit to the Aloft Dulles. Again, I appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the shuttle miscommunication. After discussing this issue over the phone with you, I have addressed your concerns with my team and was under the assumption that everything was taken care of. We truly value your business and loyalty to Starwood and hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.

Truly yours,

General Manager, Aloft Dulles North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!