“65-minute wait for shuttle from IAD, staff lied about reason” 1 of 5 stars

Aloft Dulles Airport North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22390 Flagstaff Plaza, Ashburn, VA 20148   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Washington, DC
“65-minute wait for shuttle from IAD, staff lied about reason”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

To make a long story short, the shuttle didn't arrive at IAD until 65 minutes after I called the hotel for it. While waiting, I called the hotel for two status checks -- during the second status check, the desk clerk told me that the shuttle was stuck in traffic due to a serious accident (a check on Google showed that traffic was actually flowing fine.) When the shuttle driver arrived, he told me that there was no traffic -- he wasn't even dispatched until 15 minutes beforehand.

Obviously, someone lied here -- either the desk clerk lied to me (who may have forgotten to dispatch the shuttle, evidenced by the fact that the shuttle was reportedly dispatched at the same time I made my second status check) or the shuttle driver lied to the desk clerk. Either way, I am not confident staying at a hotel where the staff makes mistakes and then lies to cover them up. I complained to the hotel chain after the incident, who apologized and supposedly contacted the management, but I never heard anything else.

The hotel itself was okay, but didn't live up to the hype. I suggest avoiding the ground floor, as the lobby/lounge area is noisy (from both the patrons and the music), and there's no soundproof door separating the lounge area from the hotel rooms.

As you can see from my profile, I normally don't leave 1-star hotel reviews, but this stay was disappointing in more ways than one.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your candidness and apologize that we fell short of both your expectations and mine. We will apply your observations to our customer service improvement plan that we are implementing.

If your travels return you to the Dulles Corridor, please contact me directly at the hotel. We look forward to another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

General Manager, Aloft Dulles North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Good price but a lot of little annoyances. Walls throughout are all scraped up, indoor pool was really cold with lots of dirty towels lying around and ONE clean one. We did ask the front desk for more towels but they never appeared. The business center is open to the whole lobby for everyone to see what you're doing online... Had to ask for computer to be connected to the network, then I had to ask for and load more paper in the printer only to find it was out of toner. It also took 3 days to get feedback on my bathing suit that I left hanging in the shower to which no trace could be found. The TV kept cutting in and out as well. Will not return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Aloft Dulles. I am truly disappointed to hear about the difficulty you experienced during your visit with us. I have addressed your concerns with my team and we will be training the staff on better servicing our guests.

I apologize again for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused, and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

General Manager, Aloft Dulles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stay was good and on par with other aloft. It's 8.5 miles from Dulles airport but it's a 30-min drive. I got a good deal on ParkSleepFly which let me leave my car there for the duration of the trip. My hotel night basically pays for itself because I'd need to pay the same amount for parking at Dulles otherwise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members.

Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I admit I was impressed with the aloft hotel. You get used to the cookie cutter approach to business sytle hotels and this place is a breath of fresh air. Everything was nice - we did arrive late though and there was a wait for the 1 person on staff to check the people I was traveling with in, but I used the kiosk in the lobby which was self service and worked great. It's just a really different experince here. You walk in and there is a round reception desk and a kiosk for check in, questions, or purchases from the small store area. There also is a large bar/lounge area in the lobby. Everything is well decorated and has a very modern feel. The room was great. I had a king bed in a room with a desk and a large flat screen tv all they other usual things included but with a modern twist. The bathroom did stand out as extra special with a large steam shower with a glass door and a vanity with a bowl sink on it. The bathroom area was very cool and relaxing. There was plenty of parking. There was a pool I didn't use or check out. There probably was much more to offer but I was just there for one night and the lobby/lounge and room were really all I got to experience. The other good think is there is a gas station and mini mart right infront of the hotel so you can buy pretty much anything you need and it is within walking distance. It was also located close to major roads so we got there and left with ease. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The room with the king size bed was great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I was there for both business & pleasure. I had my dog with me, and they gave her a separate doggie gift basket & bed, which I thought was really nice. The location is about 10min from Dulles airport and walking distance to a gas station/convenience store. The room decor was very modern & sleek. I only didn't like how crowded/loud the bar would get at night. Since I had the dog we were stuck on the 1st floor near the bar, so I'd just recommend a room on another level and it's an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I really enjoyed the stylish look. The rooms are small but comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful . Antionne checked me in and he was very nice. Hubby and I drove in from Richmond for a weekend getaway. I liked the fact that it is not the hustle and bustle of DC but only a thirty minute drive from D.C. They also have an indoor pool and the exercise room is the best Ive seen out of all the plaaces we have stayed the equipment is up to date . The only thing I would change is the mattress not as much to my taste. (just OK). I would still stay again when i want to visit D.C.

Room Tip: The hotel is kind of isolated it is walking distance to a circle K gas station but thats about it. A...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time out to write to us. This really means a lot to me as well as my staff. We are exultant that you really like our hotel. I will praise Antuane for the level of service provided to you. Please come back soon and see us.

Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed for one night before moving out of Virginia departing from IAD. Free parking and internet, and rooms are nice modern standard Aloft you'd find at any hotel of this brand. We were staying in two rooms on points as an SPG gold member (great deal as a cat 2 for 3000-4000 points/night when most IAD hotels Re Cat 4). Aloft are supposed to be very pet friendly though staff didn't seem to know the standard pet package which as advertised on the SPG website includes a pet bed, water/food dishes, treats, etc. They provided a bed which was okay and there was a dog dish outside the main entrance with water. Also ample open grassy areas to walk your pet which was nice. Only downside was that since we had our so could only stay on the first floor and were assigned the room immediately adjacent to the lobby which like the mini-W hotel this is was a party for a while into the evening and quite noisy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post this review about our hotel. I apologize that you did not have the experience that our hotel promotes with our Arf package and will retrain the team in this area.

We appreciate your business and want the chance to win you over. I hope that you???ll give us another try!

General Manager, Aloft Dulles

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!