“Comfy dean rooms war beds and hot showers” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Sydney - Australia
“Comfy dean rooms war beds and hot showers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Recent overnight stay inbound from Dubai. Great hotel. Lovely front desk agent who helped with every question I had. The hotel is modern clean and super comfy. The location was excellent and so easy to get to the local shopping mall with PF changs and Cheesecake factory all on a free hotel shuttle that runs hourly. Highly recommend for a great stay at an an excellent price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members.

General Manager, Aloft Dulles North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Dulles, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I would actually have a difficult time trying to remember everything about this hotel that is disappointing. Here's my list of what stands out. First, the room turns out to be less than i expected from looking at the internet description.For example, yes, there is a refrigerator. It's under the bathroom sink, which is a bit odd, but the whole "dressing" area is a bit odd.

But the refrigerator doesn't. It's a brown box with a white interior and a light. That must be someone's idea of a refrigerator, but mine includes "and it's cold". So don't bring any perishables on your visit.

Second, there is this nifty little box in the room that says it lets you plug in all your electronics and even connect them to the TV. You can, of course, plug in all your electronics. There is no power at any of the outlets so you should not expect too much from the act of plugging them in.

The phones in the room barely function. There are two (count 'em) cordless handsets, one my the bed and one by the desk. Each has an LCD numeric display, but Aloft has pasted a logo over the screen so you can't see it. Perhaps it isn't really there, but a large rectangle on the phone looks like it should have been there.

Niether cordless handset works. Fortunately, one of the phones sits in a base that includes a speakerphone. The default mode is to have the speakerphone be the interface that works, so you can work around the fact that the handsets don't work.

The elevator looks like it most recently hosted Ghengis Khan's hordes. The floor is worn down a measurable amount in sections and looks pretty well torn up. There were movers pads on the walls, so maybe someone, somewhere is refurbishing something. Makes sense that they would fo the elevator last, but it looks like you stepped onto a construction site.

The room is noisy; there is very little to buffer the room from the sound of the rather noisy air conditioners in the rooms around you. When the one to the left of my room kicks in (which is does about every 10 minutes) it sounds like the hydraulic winch on the back of a garbage truck is trying to compact the last load of the day.

Odd. I just heard yet another sound that does not appear to be related do an air conditioner but it sounds even more like a giant trash compactor. I have had less intrusive noise in 2nd floor rooms in hotels across the street from Madison Square Garden.

The wireless access login seems geared to Internet Explorer and takes some finesse to get it to work with Safari and any Apple OS.

The staff, on the other hand, we personable and efficient. They sympathize with the issues I raised with them but don't seem to have the power to change them. No surprise, really, for the number and types of issues. they get high marks.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Aloft hotel. I apologize for the many inconveniences you had during your stay with us and hope that it will not impact you staying with with us again.

I will be looking into your observations with the team so that we could come up with some better solutions to the issues you had mentioned.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to demonstrate the high level of service that our guests have come to expect from Aloft Dulles North!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

My stay began July 6. I have had daily housekeeping issues (no washclothes nor soap, no tissues- both for days), not to mention water and coffee. persnickety safe (takes some combos some of the time, others not at all, and questionable if it will reopen to access my valuables). The ironing board does not stay up, and the hair dryer does not go on high. The pillows are microscopic (toddler sized), and the air conditioner either blasts or smothers you because the design of the unit vs position of the thermostat are engineered improperly. I sleep little and fitfully because of this.

From the beginning i ran into administrative snafus with my reservation. I might be staying three months and they tried to get me to sign an absurd retroactive billing contract.

The worst part is that the hotel sheets are so cheap and rough that in only two nights i began getting sores from sleeping on them, progressing to nightly bleeding! I contacted the assistant mgr, Tracy, whose answer was the suggestion that I seek alternative accommodations. Wow. The epitome of customer No-service. I again asked to speak with the new manager, Louis, who appeared sympathetic but did nothing to make anything better,  and the problems continue.

The hotel is close to dulles greenway ( not worth 10/day to transverse) and is in the middle of nowhere, except for a Hilton Garden Inn and a gas station.

Everything is a la carte, no breakfast and only offers lobby coffee for a few morning hours. The "food" at the bar is ok for a child (3 small frizen chicken tenders and a few barely cooked tater tots) but the meny is very limited microwaveable type foods. I heard 2 complaints about a tiny steak's quality.

There were also complaints about inadequate shuttle service that i overheard during my stay.

There is a pool table, which is nice. The swimming pool is small and visible from the lobby (very uncomfortable). The bartender "bar manager" is personable.

I am waiting for my housing to become available and frel stuck here for now. I need to buy my own sheets aa my akin is getting cut up frim theirs - and i do not have overly sensitive skin nor any problems like this ever before in my extensive travels.

If yiu are in the area for more than one night steer clear of this hotel. The feel is industrial hostel chic but that is where the interest (b/c it is different) ends.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Aloft Dulles North. I apologize for the many inconsistencies that you encountered during your stay with us. I greatly appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention as I will use them as a training tool for the team.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity in the future to demonstrate the high level of service that our guests have come to expect from Starwood.

New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I wanted to like this place more than I did. Really. I love the idea of luxury hotels that have more mid-level brands and Aloft is W's version. Other reviewers are right that this place is trendy, a bit more than my taste for trend, but for the design idea, it's done well.

Overall, loved the room design - cleverly separated into two areas with closet/fridge/sink and a bathroom with a fabulous shower; and on the other side, bed desk and additional table against the window. For those who said the rooms don't have irons, they do - it's just tucked away beside the bed in a hidden shelf.

This property fell short on 3 levels:

Housekeeping: one day my room wasn't cleaned at all, even though I was out for hours; I "shed" a bit when I dry my hair, so hair was on the tile floor of the bathroom area - that was not cleaned over a span of 3 days, so clearly my room wasn't vacuumed. When I checked in, there was a piece of a vacuum cleaner that was accidentally forgotten in my room - I left it out in an easy-to-find place, but they never took it back.

Comfort: everyone seems to hate the European square pillows and I'm no different - they're just too small to get comfortable, either propped up to watch TV or to sleep at night. The way the linens are put on the bed with the liner underneath, they bunch up and have to be constantly smoothed in order not to end up on a ridge. Air conditioner is installed underneath one of the windows and when you're on the bed, it blows directly on you (I finally figured out that if I put the mini-ironing board with a towel over it in front of the unit, it deflected the airflow somewhat). I tend to prefer my room a bit warmer during the summer (74-ish), but when you adjust the temp, the system switches over to heat once you reach 72, so unfortunately, I had to either roast with an Off system or freeze at 71.

Service: Aloft Dulles North seems to be minimally staffed. Most of the time when I went by the front desk, there was only one person, occasionally two, which is fine if there's not more than one person requiring assistance. However, sometimes, there was no one there. Also, despite the fact that they are incredibly friendly and welcoming, they seem to be very young and poorly trained (and maybe badly scheduled). One day coming in, I walked from the parking lot through a haze of cigarette smoke from a uniformed front desk employee smoking directly beside the door into Reception. Another day, I came in to find the front desk employee eating a salad at the desk. Those things just shouldn't happen publicly, even in a 3* hotel - that's a management issue and something that needs to be corrected. Finally, one night a couple was VERY loudly arguing in the room next door to me. After about half an hour of shouts and threats, I called down to the front desk and asked for a manager to come up and intervene. After another half hour with no sign of a manager, I had to bang hard on the wall to let them know they were being heard. As a fellow guest, I should never have to get involved in something like that, but it did finally stop the shouting (and killed my hand!).

I wouldn't rush to stay at Aloft Dulles North again, but if I found myself here through one of the opaque sites, I'd make the best of it.

Room Tip: I was in the middle of the third floor, away from the elevators and had no problems with either elev...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Aloft Dulles North. I apologize for the housekeeping issues that you encountered on your stay and we will be sharing your comments with the housekeeping staff. I greatly appreciate your constructive feedback regarding our front office. We will be conducting service training with our agents as well as promoting better desk coverage for quicker and efficient service!

Palm Bay, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

I wish I had known this was a pet hotel. I think this hotel should have more restrictions to where these pets can wander when staying here. Pool did not look clean. It looked like a pet convention in the lobby. My son sat on one of the sofas and pointed out pet hair all over it. Also you had pet owners at the bar with their pets in their hands while drinking. That turned me off from wanting to get a drink. Where the snacks were kept , a dog owners was with his pet and the dog was sniffing around the food. My husband made such a big deal about how he was a platinum member with Sheraton and Aloft was nice. I felt the experience was disgusting. I was told the first and second floor were pet friendly. We were on the fifth and I heard a dog barkingthin my floor. aside from the beer bottle my son saw behind the bed. I let the desk person know at checkout the room was not cleaned properly. There was dust on the desk .For someone like me who pays attention to detail and does not want to be surrounded by pets during their hotel stay this will not be a pleasant experience. Like I said,if they had set boundaries for where these dogs could wander it may not have been so bad. For someone who has bad allergies bring your medication. In all fairness I did stay at the Aloft in Richmond it was clean and a wonferful experience. Unfortunately I will not be recommending this location to any of my colleagues.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to our Aloft Dulles North. I am truly disappointed to hear about the difficulty you experienced during your visit with us.

We are a pet friendly hotel and we do have pet rooms only on the 1st floor. I am extremely sorry that you noticed pets near the lounge/ breakfast area. Pet's are not permitted in the lounge or breakfast area nor do we allow for pets to rest on the lobby furniture. I will relay your comments to my entire team with making sure that we do not permit dogs where food is served.

I apologize again for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused, and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

PS: I can be reached at 703-723-6969

Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Loved Aloft near D.C. First time staying at an Aloft and it's definitely different and modern. The lobby/bar area is a nice place to hang out for a beer and get on the internet. I didn't use the pool but it looked nice, indoor. The room was great. Alot of nice "nooks" to put your things and a huge bathroom area. We had the handicap accessible room so the bed was closer to the floor and the bathroom had a tub/shower instead of the walk in shower. The only thing that they could really improve upon are the terrible pillows. I'm not sure where they got those things but they are very small and have the feel of throw pillows on a sofa!! They are animal friendly and our 7 month old Jack Russell Terrier loved it there!! Food wasn't bad either. Didn't feel much like leaving so we ordered from the bar.........pizza and hummus were good. Nothing out of this world but we weren't expecting it here.

Go, enjoy the ambiance and hipness of this little hotel.

Room Tip: Stay off the bottom floor. Loud music and the bar will make sleeping a little difficult.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

What can I say it just works for me. Simple, chic, clean and more than you would need for a night or two when traveling. This property was great for me, they staff was excellent and just made me feel at home.

The overall condition of the property is good, carpets are showing wear and tear, some scuffs and marks on walls throughout, the room showing signs of age but all in all a nice stay. So long as there is no real dirt or bugs I am happy.

The one thing I would suggest is start using fabric softener on your towels........they are like sandpaper :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 21, 2012

General Manager, Aloft Dulles North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!