“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Ferney-Voltaire
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We spent a night here against our will due to mechanical problems, but were very pleased with Aloft despite our mental anguish. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, allowing me to use the front desk phone to make an emergency call to the airline and tolerating the long wait while I was put on hold. They were very informative and efficient.
Our room was uber-designer yet cozy. The lobby is modern chic and definitely not the worst place to wait for the airport shuttle.
The shuttle service was not that great - they were late picking us up and rather infrequent. The location is not the best either, about a 15-20 ride to the terminal.
There are two computers available for guests to use, with a fairly fast connection. We didn't have to wait long to use them.
Didn't use the pool, but it looked nice. Didn't purchase anything for breakfast. The self-service bar was not very inviting.
I have no idea how much it cost since Stupid United Airlines paid the bill (least they could do).
All in all, a good place to get stuck overnight, but I don't know if I'd stay there if I had my pick, mainly because of the location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
AloftAnna, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you, Phiby, for your very thorough and kind review. We are glad that we were able to take a stressful situation and make it just a bit better. Travel is already difficult enough; we strive to make it fun whenever we can. Thanks again for choosing the Aloft Dulles North. Please have safe, uneventful travels in the future!

Anna Lyons, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Pembroke Pines, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We were on a family road trip from Florida and our first stop was in Virginia as we were going to the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, VA which is 15 min from the Hotel. We were arriving late to the hotel as we were on the road for over 15 hours. We arrived there at around 11pm. While making the reservation back home we had requested 2 beds in the room as there were 5 of us. It was a late arrival and needless to say we were all tired and hungry. Aloft Hotel is a new concept in Hotel for the W brand. When you walk in there is alot going on. I could not tell where the check in counter was. There was a round big counter to the side with 2 people in it with all these things on top of the counter. I was looking around confused and no one greeted us. There was music playing and people at a bar. When I finally asked is this the counter to check in they said yes. Prior to arriving I called to confirm my reservation and asked if they had a roll away bed as I had 3 children with me. They said no but they had an air matteress and they held that aside for me. We were finally checked in.( Staff seems clueless to what is going on.) When we get to the room my husband says there is only 1 king size bed. I had booked a 2 double bed room and there was only 1. I called downstairs and they stated that my room that was booked was for only 1 bed. At this point it was 12am. I told them that was not true as my sister who works for the hotel brand booked this reservation in front of me and we specifically requested 2 beds. Well he stated that they had no rooms with 2 beds but if I wish I can book another room thru my sister for 2 beds and they would give it to me. Does that make sense? You tell me you dont have a room then you tell me to book another room under that rate for 2 beds. At this point i had no energy to argue as we were coming off a long day. We were given the airbed which turned out to be a twin. They had no more airbeds left in the hotel. So I had to put one child with me and my husband in our bed and the other 2 slept in the twin airbed which deflated by the morning. So basically they slept on the floor. After bringing things to their attention they were not accomdating at all to help me with my needs. I would never stay at this location again. A hotel is suppose to be accomdating and provide service when needed. This hotel was too lay back in their ways. I have stayed in many starwood properties and I can tell you this does not meet starwood properties quality of customer service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
AloftAnna, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you, anndolly, for your candid feedback. I sincerely apologize for the lack of responsiveness and accommodation provided by the staff. I can assure you that this is not indicative of typical service levels at the hotel. Aloft Hotels do not have rollaways and only air mattresses; I was unaware that there were any inflation issues and our team is currently checking the condition of all of the mattresses. I sincerely regret not providing you with the service you deserved, especially after a long day of travel. We can only hope for an opportunity in the future to make it right.

Thank you for choosing the Aloft Dulles North.

virginia beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

First let me say that I am VERY particular....so just ok to me is probably good to others. I don't have any specific complaints except the shower could have been scrubbed a bit more perhaps with tilex with mildew remover. The room was small and the hallways were not very well kept (vaccumed) but all in all, it was ok for one night and a good value for the price. I paid $70 bucks. I would stay there again. Not a rave review, but nothing particularly negative to say, either.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you, carmendownes01, for your reivew. I apologize that your experience with us was not A+. We do strive to meet all expectations but sometimes we fall short. Good value should also include great service; we strive everyday to improve, of this I can assure you. Thank you for choosing the Aloft Dulles North.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011 via mobile

The place had a young vibe & and makes me think star wood wanted a brand that catered to the 18-30 yr group, cheap yet a hotel with style. Nice place, clean rooms, friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2011
Greetings, QueenAsh! You have hit the nail on the head in terms of Aloft's vibe! However, both young and old can appreciate the brilliant colors, chic design and savvy spaces. Even more so, finding a hotel that offers "Nice place, clean rooms, friendly staff" is so critical in an age when travel can be so difficult. Thank you for your kind words and review! We look forward to welcoming you back. Until then, Live, Life, Aloft!

Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Don't understand what Starwood is shooting for with their new Aloft brand, but it leaves me unimpressed. Courtesy shuttle, but a long ride from Dulles, so don't cut your airport arrival time too close. Friendly & courteous front desk personnel. Nothing within walking distance except a gas station/convenience store near the parking lot, if you arrive late (midnight) as we did. You can buy snacks in the lobby area. Rooms are just OK. Place was clean & relatively new, so no complaints, Just nothing to enthuse us for a return visit, or to seek out Aloft among competition.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you, smvhou, for your review. Aloft Hotels are the DNA of Starwood's W Hotels. They are sassy and chic and offer a change of pace in typical travel. It is true that we are not walking distance to restaurants but as we are located by a future metrorail site, we are just a bit ahead of the construction curve! More is coming soon. I was pleased to read that the staff was friendly and couteous; regardless of expectations, the aspect of great customer service can always be found at our location! Thank you for choosing the Aloft Dulles North.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Our first visit many months ago was a bit challenged with some issues with the room. But since then we've stayed there at least 3 more times as we enjoy escaping from Baltimore and checking out Virginia Vineyards with our new puppy. The staff is awesome and they give our pup pup the royal treatment! It's so nice to be recognized and welcomed as a good friend. Whatever we need or ask for, the staff is always responsive and so happy and positive. We're so grateful to have this place to rest so we don't have to drive back to Baltimore after enjoying much wine! Only semi-negative is the $3.70 toll we pay to get to the hotel, but I think we found a way around that and will test it out next time!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for returning to both the Aloft Dulles and to TripAdvisor since your visit in April. We appreciate the second chance and second look. We have indeed increased our focus on both our two-legged and four-legged friends! We are so glad that we can make your weekend experience in the great Loudoun County wine counrty all the better by offering your entire family a great place to stay. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Until then, Live, Life, Aloft!

Brentwood, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed for just a couple of nights while visiting our son in DC. The room was spacious and the bed comfortable. A large, flat-screen television hung above a bench seating area which was best utilized for luggage. There was an desk chair by the desk but the room would have benefited from another chair and certainly had room to accommodate one. There was a small refrigerator and a single-cup coffee machine, but no microwave. A real plus for us was the number of outlets available - if you travel with lots of gadgets that need recharging like we do, this is one of those small things that makes a big difference. The only negative we found was mentioned by others - in order to turn on the light in the enclosed toilet/shower part of the bathroom, you must also light the sink area which is open to the bedroom. One minor issue - my husband went downstairs to try to get hot water for a cup of tea (he finds that in-room coffee machines always impart a coffee taste to water heated in them). He was told that his only option was to purchase a cup for $3.00. Not a big deal, but it would have been an easy and cheap way to avoid disappointing a guest. We had a very good rate which ticks the overall rating up a notch.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
AloftAnna, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you, CKay37027, for your very thorough review and comments. You have detailed some of the highlights that set us apart from other brands such as our technology-forward amenities. Microwaves are not currently a brand standard; in the meantime, one is always available in the re:mix area. I am just as disappointed as you are regarding the hot water issue; we do charge $3.00 for a hot tea and perhaps the talent member misunderstood the intentions. The lights are a bit puzzling but something that the brand is looking into based on the number of comments. Thanks for choosing the Aloft Dulles North. We hope to see you again!

Anna Lyons, GM

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!