“Great apologies . . .” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Wilmington, Delaware
“Great apologies . . .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

This HGI is not ready for prime time. Check in was slow & confusing; the AC will not go below 68⁰ (this will be brutal in the hot summer months especially if your room faces west); the breakfast was below average, no one refills your coffee or does anything to assist you (except quietly slip the bill on your table). If that wasn’t enough, I went up to my room to shower and the picture was what I got. Now I’m an engineer and tried to fix it but time was not on my side. I felt like I was in a third world country. The hotel was clean. I went next door to the Aloft W hotel bar and the bartender was miserable. She just stood there and chatted with a colleague about how her hours were awful, wanted to work days, blah, blah, blah. I hate whinny complaining within ear shot.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
pdomingo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, January 15, 2011
Thank you for the feedback! It is only through feedback from guests that we are able to evaluate our services. Please be assured that your initial experience is not consistent with the services we strive to provide at the Hilton Garden Inn-Dulles North.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
wells
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Recently spent three nights at this hotel. It was one of the best hotel experiences my wife and I have ever had. The rooms and the public areas were immaculate, the king size bed was very comfortable.[I usually don'y sleep very well in hotels, but did here]. Had breakfast every mornig with freshly cooked omelettes, good coffee [another rarity in hotels], home fries, and fresh fruit. The staff could not have been more courteous. We felt totally at ease here. My highest recommendation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Coastal Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

We recently stayed here and were very impressed with the Hotel. Even though their hot tub was out of service at the time. They put us in a room with a jacuzzi to make up for it. The restaurant was very good and the prices were very reasonable. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. I would recommend it to anyone going to DC.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

I was at the Hilton Garden Inn for a week with my family and I can't express how happy I was with the kindness and professionalism I received from Mr. Alex who was in the front desk, I felt he went above and beyond the limit in hospitality services. I asked him for directions to Washington D.C not only did he give me directions but he also took his time to explain how to get around D.C My family and I were more than pleased with the patience and happy attitude that Mr. Alex Provided when he recommended us to go to the Air and Space museum that I was amazed with. I left with such a good impression with this Hotel and the service that Mr. Alex provided to myself and my loved ones. I will seriously come back to this hotel. I do recommend this hotel for anyone and I hope that you get the pleasure I did in receiving the assistance from this gentle man Mr. Alex.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Rio Rancho, NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Was stranded by American Airlines and then gouged for prices at this hotel. I was put on hold 3 times trying to confirm my room and eventually had to call them a 4th time. Even with that, the front desk changed my room reservation and claimed I had booked the wrong room type which is a lie and I have the email confirmation to prove it. The room was dirty, linens were not stocked completely and a supposedly fresh wash cloth had someone else's lipstick on it. This is a new hotel but not that new - it should have the bugs worked out by now. And good luck appealing to Hilton Corporate for poor Customer Service. I will never stay there again and don't recommend you do either.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
HGI_Dulles_North, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Dear Weezy78,

Please let me assure you that the hotel did not (and does not) practice price gouging. The rate you paid is our standard week day rate. Since you are a Gold HHonors member, we offered you this rate in spite of the fact that most of the hotels (including ours) were close to selling out and asking for rates that were 15 – 20% higher.

I apologize that you felt you did not get your money’s worth and suffered some service lapses from our end. We have tried to email you several times. Our Front Desk Manager left you many voice mails and for a brief moment also got to speak to you but was disconnected before completing the conversation. Please allow us the opportunity make things right by you. Please call the hotel and ask to speak to the General Manager. We have made several unsuccessful attempts to get in touch with you.

I look forward to speaking to you and hopefully welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North.

Warm regards,
Watertown, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn to utilize the Park, Stay, Fly Option. My initial impression of the hotel was that it was in a remote location, but the lobby was attractive and the desk clerk was polite. The room had two double beds (although I had requested a one king bed) and a view from the window of two A/C units and an adjacent exterior wall. That being said, the interior of the room was clean and had decent furnishings. It is not on par with Hyatt Place or other similarly priced hotels I have stayed with in the area.
The real problem didn't arise until after our flight and we needed the shuttle to return to the hotel to pick up our car. The Park, Stay, Fly portion of the website advertised a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes. We called the hotel to say we would need the shuttle from baggage claim. In the end it was over an hour until the shuttle arrived. I phoned the manager, and he said he would do nothing because it was out of his control, and that I should contact him directly the next time I stayed there and needed to use the shuttle. I have never had a manager tell me the performance of his employees was outside his control. Needless to say I will never stay here again and would advise any considering this hotel to choose one of the many better appointed hotels with much better service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback! We strive hard to provide our guests with the best service and accommodations. We apologize if we failed to deliver your expectations during this trip but can assure you that your concerns have been addressed. We look forward to having you back at the Hilton Garden Inn-Dulles North!
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I would like to comment how pleased I was with the service provided to me by Laith. During my recent trip I was fortunate enough to stay at your Garden Inn. I have stayed at many Hilton properties across the US and have found most of them pretty good and the staff generally friendly. Laith has by far out paced every one of them.

In my haste to catch my flight, I left a portable hard drive in my room. When I noticed it missing, I called the hotel. Luckily, Laith took over the call because he very graciously, offered to take it to UPS. I wanted over nighted but when I found out it would cost nearly $100, Laith offered to contact Fed Ex to do some comparison shopping for me. Then because of some issues, he had to make a second trip to drop it off. He kept in constant contact with me every step of the way. I can be a little "high maintenance" at times, but Laith always responded "it would be my pleasure".

Then, a few days later he contacted me again because he followed up with Fed Ex to find they were having problems delivering the item because I wasn't home. Because of his "heads up" I was able to make accommodations to pick it up at a more convenient time.

I have very high standards and Laith exceeded them every step of the way. Being in Human Resources, part of my job is to spot outstanding achievers and make sure senior management is aware of their dedication. I am not sure of Laith's current role, but I would urge you to put him in a training or leadership role so his talents can be seen by others.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
HGI_Dulles_North, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
Dear Wmumba,

Thank you for taking the time to go into so much detail and share your experience with the online community.

Our endeavor, always, is to exceed our guests' expectations so that they may have a memorable stay with us and in turn recommend the hotel to their family, friends and associates. All our actions, efforts and training are directed to achieve this mission.

Laith is a relatively new team member who is already distinguishing himself in the area of service delivery. I am delighted to hear that he made such a great impression on you. He is currently the Assistant Front Office Manager of the hotel and we will provide him the tools and training needed for him to realize his full potential.

Again, we are grateful that you took the trouble to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Warm regards,

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North? Share your experiences!