“No service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“No service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed 2 nights for business in the area- The room smelled bad and one set of pillows were smelly; the towels were old and ripped on the sides - when attempted to call the front desk the phones did not work so I had to go personally to the front desk to complain about - There was no soap or bath amenities left in the room the second day, additionally, even though there was a coffee maker no regular coffee was provided, and "NO" folder or binder containing room service menu or services offered by the hotel in the room; not even a phone directory for me to call on my cell phone. A few minutes later the telephone was fixed by a nice technician and someone with it seems upset did not said a word just handed some bathroom amenities, coffee, and a binder that seems to have some information (only the dinner menu) I called room service for dinner and even the menu had the wrong food, was old etc. I am disgusted with this hotel - I do not recommend this hotel to anyone and I will say that is NO 3 Star Hotel as advertised.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else - this place is a Dump!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
I am very sorry about your recent expereince with us. Our phones were being worked on for about an hour on Monday. I have not spoken to you about this situation and would like you to contact me personally so we can resolve this to your satisfisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My soccer team recently stayed here for a tournament. What a mistake. From the minute I began dealing with the staff, whether sales, managers, desk, waitstaff, it was a negative experience. First, the hotel refused to change some of our rooms to smaller (less expensive) rooms claiming these were not available despite being listed as available on the Hilton website. I was assurer breakfast would begin at 6:00AM (vital, as we needed to leave for our game at 6:30) and then told that actually it would begin at 7:00AM which was useless to us. Then, to top it off, NONE of the requested wake up calls were made on Sunday morning -- the staff was apologetic and blamed the time change (as if that took them by surprise) At no time did anyone offer a complimentary drink, meal, room, etc., to make up for the horrendous service. There's plenty of hotels in the Dulles Airport vicinity, so avoid this one unless you enjoy terrible service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Your soccer group blocked rooms with us at a contracted rate to receive two queen beds in each room. We did have a few king bedded rooms at the advance purchase non-refundable rate online. Once you book this rate you are charged immediately and are unable to cancel. We did have a problem with the computer system updating the correct time for daylight savings. I am very sorry this caused problems with the wake up calls. I have not spoken to you about this situation and would like you to contact me personally so we can resolve this to your satisfisfaction.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We booked five nights in this hotel for our trip to the Washington area. Even though, iit is quite a drive to downtown, we did not mind at all since we got to see the surrounding areas and there were many shopping malls along the way.

We got a great rate for our stay and were very happy with the hotel. The room featured two Queen beds and had a fridge, a microwave and a coffee machine. Wi-fi was excellent and all three of us could use our ipads/laptops at the same time.

We were a bit disappointed by the pool which is very small and only five feet deep. That would have been okay if the water wasn't so cold. Even the spa was cold, though a bit warmer than the pool. I never went back in after the first day but my husbabd and daugther don't mind the cold water as much, so maybe it's only me that is being difficult.

On the third day of our stay, we were coming back to the hotel and I tried to get two coffees from the lobby as we did everyday. The machine was empty so I was told to wait five minutes and that they would brew some. FInally, the manager (I think) came out of the kitchen and said that he would get me two coffees from the convenience store next door. He went out coatless (on the day of the snowstorm) but came back empty. He then said he would bring me a fresh pot a coffee directly to my room. I told him that I could make some coffee in the room and not to bother but he insisted that it would be his pleasure and he brought the coffee himself to our room.

So, maybe the other gentleman (the one talking about the fire alarm) had a bad experience with the staff or the manager, but we had a very positive experience on more than one occasion and I think that demanding that everybody be fired is way over the line.

Another example, after two nights, my husband was complaining that the bed was sagging. I asked the front dest if they could change or turn over the mattress. At first, thy said they would look into it, but then the man in charge of the equipment asked me if I tried to adjust the settings on the bed. it turns out the beds have dials on both sides that you can adjust for firmness or softness. So, we said that we would check that before requiring them to do anything. One side was set all the way to firm and the other side was set all the way to soft. We put both on medium and got an even bed. They had signs and a mock dial display at the front desk but we didn't notice it on arrival as we were tired by our twelve hour drive.

A last note on service. Within minutes of our arrivals, we tried to make coffee in our room. The coffeemaker didn't work so we called the front desk and they brought another one within minutes.

All in all, we are very satisfied with this hotel, the staff was always courteous and amenable. If they only could heat the pool a little bit more, it would be perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. I am proud to have the individuals mentioned as part of our team and will make sure to share this with all my team members
Ashburn, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The employees at this hotel(including the manager) are extremely rude and unfriendly. The rooms are great, but thats about it. I stayed at this hotel one night and the fire alarm went off at 2:30 AM and didnt get shut off until 30 minutes later! Of course, in the morning once i went to the front desk to ask about a rate change , the women at the desk looked like a couple deers in headlights telling me they couldnt do anything about the situation because "it wasnt a real fire". I HIGHLY do NOT recommend staying here, not until the GM& Staff are replaced.

Room Tip: rooms away from the unfriendly employees!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sherri C, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I am very sorry about the fire alarm going off during the night. By law, we are required to keep the alarm sounding until the fire department clears the hotel for the safety of our guests.

Although the hotel was entirely safe during this time, we put the guest safety first until we are sure.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel is far from the airport (10 minutes) and you have to pay a $5 toll to/from. The hotel itself is fine, though the staff displayed some attitude when I asked for a couple of small favors. All in all... if you want to stay in this area I'd stay at the Aloft next door. However... for Dulles you'd be better off at the Marriot (closest to airport) or the Hyatt/Westin nearby. Also, way overpriced for the location and the fact that it's an HGI...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
With guest feedback being very important to us we use all comments both the positive and negative to evaluate our product and services. I do apologize that in this instance we did not meet all your expectations. Your comments have been shared with the staff using them as a teaching tool in our service plan going forward.
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great property and worth staying out. Great location right off the Greenway which is easy access to the Dulles airport corrider. Great friendly staff who were accomodating and helpful. The spa was not as warm as should have been but that was minimal issue. Food was delicious and not the usual hotel cuisine so eating at restaurant will save you time and travel and you will have a great meal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. I will share your comments with my team. Please come back and see us next time you are in the area.
Chandigarh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you have business in the Dulles area this is a great choice: Easy to access, easy parking, free wifi and a decent pool/spa/exercise area.

Rooms were simple and clean. They could have been a little nicer for the price, but still worth it.

The only question mark is the food. Very disorganized breakfast with inconsistent service. Some times there is a chef who makes custom breakfast orders and someone to serve coffee, other times you will only find cold cereal, rubbery eggs and have to walk to the lobby for coffee. Very limited choices outside of breakfast.

If not for the breakfast service, this would be 5 stars!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel and what we can improve on. Every morning breakfast is served, everything from waffles and French toast to eggs and cold cereal. Our breakfast is "cooked to order" placed with our Chef.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North? Share your experiences!