“Good Hotel for Business Travel if You're Not a Light Sleeper” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Auburn, California
“Good Hotel for Business Travel if You're Not a Light Sleeper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I travel to Virginia regularly for business and decided to try this Hilton since the place I normally stay was booked. I liked this hotel, very clean, staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were very nicely appointed. I walked in and was impressed. The room had a large desk, free wi-fi, comfortable bed, decent sized bathroom with marble counters, a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker.

All was well until I tried to get some sleep. Unfortunately, this hotel has the under-the-window heating/cooling system that can never seem to run quietly. When the thing kicked on it sounded like a diesel truck was starting up right in my room. I tried using the low speed on the fan to see if this would help and then tried to regulate the room temperature so the heater wouldn't have to work as much but nothing seemed to help. Eventually I ran the heater a bit hot for awhile then shut it off completely. The room did keep some of it's warmth overnight although it was winter and bitter cold outside.

I had thought about making this my hotel when I travel to this area but I'm one of those people who has to get a good nights sleep and this place with the noisy heater just won't cut it. I left the rating as a 4 since it is a good value for business travelers, good service and the breakfast buffet was a very good value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you taking the time to post your comments We appreciate your positive and great recommendation! Please let us know next time you make a reservation to put your room on the east side of building. We will also be glad to give you an upgrade.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Franklin Park, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Booked my stay via Hot Wire and was very pleasantly surprised. Wonderful stay; would stay again without hesitation.

It seem I have to submit 200 characters for this review, which is unfortunate...I feel I've adequately expressed how I feel about my stay in the opening statement and I've given this hotel the highest rating...Making me do this could take away how I feel about my stay but it won't if I end this now...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel.
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a great Dulles Airport Hotel. I booked it last minute after reading some of the reviews here. All the positive reviews are correct, the staff are very nice and very willing to help. The hotel is not the closest to the airport, but the free shuttle takes about 15 mins at the most (in commuter traffic). The site shares a lot with A Loft, which has a bar also, but I arrived very late and did not get to try out the facilities. The shuttle was prompt and the driver was very helpful. The rooms were nice and clean and quiet. There is nothing negative to report about the place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! Please come back and visit us again.
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The good news is, the Transit Authority is building a Metro stop about a block away from this hotel. The bad news is that it is not built yet so you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, which, in my opinion, you are. Driving around at night, the streets are not well marked at all. One wonders if Virginia DOT is too busy to put reflective signs up at all, (this far from the Downtown-Mall area) and since public lighting is few and far between, I would not recommend trying to find this place at night. Also, if you miss the turn from the highway, you might end up on the Toll Road, which will cost you $4 (and credit card ONLY) plus several miles of driving in darkness until you can turn yourself around in the right direction to take another shot at it.

None of this is the hotel's fault, but good to know if you are driving through. The hotel is very comfortable and clean. Rooms were in great shape and staff was courteous. We opted for a two double bed room on the fifth floor; no issues with sound from nearby Dulles. We saw the inside of the junior suite and I don't think I have seen a hotel room that was so tiny and tight. Definitely not a luxurious upgrade -- opt for two doubles if you have the choice.

We have stayed at Sterling or Asburn hotels for several Thanksgiving visits to family now, and have taken the kids into town several different ways. I've also been to DC enough times on business to recommend that if you are staying this far out from the Capitol, and you still want to take the kids in to sightsee, (and avoid the hassle of parking and crazy traffic) I would ask the desk to recommend a decent car service to pick you up by 9 am. It's a bit pricey (around $60?) one way, but I found by the time we drove from hotel to metro station, paid to park, bought tickets, and took the metro in, we lost a significant amount of daytime to tour. Plus it was a hike to whatever monument we wished to see. (And four people traveling by metro cost us about $40 when all costs were rolled in.) The best part was --our driver dropped us right in front of the museum we wanted to see and offered to pick us up at the end of the day (which he did.) That experience made the day downtown much more enjoyable for all of us.

The hotel has a restaurant, which we only used for breakfast (which was not free). I suspect in a few years that area will be hoppin' with more competition for your breakfast dollar, so it would be great if breakfast was free. All in all a decent place.

Room Tip: Fourth or fifth floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Really appreciated the shuttle transport to the airport. All staff encountered there were very pleasant, helpful and efficient. Would stay again if I revisit the area. Good selection of nearby restaurants - easy to get to.

• Stayed December 2012
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! I will share your review with my team. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We used this hotel for the first time last week to visit family nearby and we plan on using it quite a bit now to enjoy a quiet night and travel home the next day. The lobby is inviting and the check in very fast. We were given a bag with water and snacks...can't remember the last time a hotel did that. We had a very quiet and clean suite on the fifth floor with a view to watch planes flying to the airport nearby. We loved the extra room that the suite gave us and also the fact that the bedroom is much farther away from the door. There is an inner lining of the curtain to close it...maybe the previous reviewer didn't notice that. My only complaint was that we wanted to lower the room temperature below 68 and couldn't. We had someone from the hotel check it out and she said that 68 was the lowest we could put it. Once the sun set we were OK with that setting, but on check-in, with the curtains open, the room must have been in the 80's!

Room Tip: Pay just a small amount more and enjoy a suite!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
You can always count on us! Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear that my Team has made your stay memorable. We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to your next visit soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The hotel has no bells ... very standard.
Room was big, but not fancy. My only issue was that my curtains would not close shut.
The breakfast package is worth the upgrade, but again not a fancy breakfast, but good. If you want to stay more than one night, pick somewhere else. No late night dinning or 24 hour dinning options close to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherri C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this review about our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to the chance to serve you again.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North? Share your experiences!