“Pretty Good-DvB” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel to your Saves list
Orbitz.com Booking.com
Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 S Orme St, Arlington, VA 22204 (Formerly Sheraton National Hotel)   |
Ranked #29 of 48 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“Pretty Good-DvB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

The Sheraton National Hotel has, yet again, impressed me with their respectful service. Though the rate is nearly 25% less than the Westin in Memphis, the staff immediately recognized my elite status, and asked me if there was anything they could do to ensure my having a comfortable stay. While the Memphis Westin has had computer problems, room reservation errors, brusque staff, and even, on one occasion, a case where they gave someone else the same room as mine… meaning that late at night a strange man came bumbling into the room. Fortunately, I had just gotten in (which explains the unsecured deadbolt), but it could have been much scarier. My view at the Sheraton National was superb. The room was spacious, clean, and well arranged.I have become used to filling out online surveys for Starwood that include questions on possible improvements, and not seeing those changes. Of all the services, I always report that my associates and I would much prefer free wireless to free local calling. Most people have cellular telephones these days. Some hotels still charge for the two bottles of water in the room, even with Preferred Guests.
This property deserves kudos. I have spent a week being shown the erosion of customer service in our nation, and the Sheraton National hotel is a light in the gloom of disappointment. Just when I was ready to, as I have felt more and more over this past year, keep my middle class money to myself, and forgo travel until I could afford to only use KLM and stay at boutique hotels, this property showed that there are still places where people do not feel entitled to be rude and remain employed, where politeness and professionalism are their own reward, and where a crisp uniform and a smile are still worn by every single member of the property’s staff. I was able to check into my flight on my own computer with free wireless Internet. I was given extra towels as I requested. I was greeted every time I exited or entered the property. If every hotel manager took lessons from the Sheraton National then I would always spend my time writing of the excellence of the SPG program. (I suggest that, at a minimum, the Sheraton at Reed Conference Center and Westin in Memphis take notes.)
Please convey to the Sheraton National staff, from cleaning personnel to desk staff, that they have exceeded my expectations yet again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

604 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Lewiston, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

It is an older lead very nice 16 story hotel. There is a pool on the 16th floor. This service was incredible there was a big convention of the Iwo Jima survivors which was a inspiring group to share the hotel with. We did not have a car and relied on public transportation. They have a shuttle going every half an hour to a metro stop at a nice shopping center in Pentagon city and also to Reagan national Airport. There is nothing "bad" about the neighborhood however to walk anywhere from their due to the fact that it is next to very many busy roads and military installations would not be desirable. If you are willing to wait for shuttles and ride Metro however it was an excellent deal. We got it for $52 on the hot wire where they guarantee you a 3 1/2 star hotel but won't tell you which one it is till after you pay. Would definitely stay there again we did not eat any of the restaurants or drink in the bars they are a little spendy but if you take the shuttle to Pentagon city or anywhere else you don't need to eat there. All in all a very nice place for an unbelievable price. Service was top notch.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

I stayed here for a few nights and it was terrific. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the airport and the local mall which lets you get into D.C. very quickly. The staff is friendly and the restaurant is surprisingly good! The gym is small but fantastic and the rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable. The beds are great too.

The only downsides were finding a candy lying under my bed as I was checking out and the fact they don't have free wireless - come on guys - it's a business hotel!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Gloucester, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

I booked this hotel at Hotwire for a weekend trip to DC in January, 2010. On Hotwire it is listed as a 3.5 star property in Arlington that can be booked for $55-$60 per night this winter. I got it for $53/night plus taxes ($61.50 out the door).

For that price, this is a good deal; in fact, it's probably unbeatable in the DC area.

The main thing to consider if you're depending on public transit to get around is the hotel shuttle, which runs to the Pentagon City metro station on the half hour. It picks up there twice an hour, too (at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour). Personally, I found this acceptable in January weather, and so I expect during the spring, summer and fall it would be even less of an issue. The hotel also runs shuttles to Reagan airport. For those who haven't used the metro, from the Pentagon City Station it is only about a 10-15 minute trip into DC, depending on your destination. Again, for the money saved over a hotel right in DC, this is no big deal to me.

The lobby is quite nice, there is an internet area with wi-fi service, along with desktop stations. The hotel will charge you $12-13/night for wi-fi from your room, which I find way too pricey. But with free wi-fi in the lobby, it's only a minor hassle to do my surfing from down there.

I didn't eat at the on-site restaurant because the prices were too high - typical hot breakfast meals cost $12 and up. They do brew Starbucks coffee in the mornings and early afternoons at the bar next to the internet/computer lounge, along with muffins and danish.

I had a look in at the fitness facilities, and they're better than average. The rooftop pool was small, as I expected it would be, but it looked like it was well maintained.

My room was no. 614, and it was designed for wheelchair patrons, so the shower was not typical. Overall, the room was clean and comfortable, the mattress was firm and the temperature control system was responsive.

I plan to stay here again in April, and now that I know what my $60/night buys me, I'm very satisfied to be returning.

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

First of all I want to dispute previous reviews on issues like water pressure (its fantasic), the staff (they are very helpful), the neighborhood (its not all that bad), the location (for DC its great, for local restaurants and the mall, pretty close just not walking distance), the pool ( warm and clean with a lifeguard). They have a good happy hour special in the bar weeknights, free internet downstairs with 5 computers and a printer for free, you can park in one of about 6 metered spots on the street, its free on weekends and save yourself the $20 parking fee per night. We had a group and they put us on the same floor and got us all doubles. Rooms that are even numbered face the city, above the 6th floor are the best views. The views out the odd rooms are not that horrible. This place is so convenient, easy to get right into DC, literally minutes. Very friendly and helpful staff. Go down the street to the 24 hr. diner for a good diner meal. (b-fast especially).

• Stayed January 2010
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Booked over New Years for a few nights for $69 and was upgraded to club level and complementary parking due to gold status. Room was much nicer compared to Atlantis room (Coral Towers) which we stayed earlier this year.

Pros: Well appointed hotel, wonderful bed, good variety for breakfast (eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, yogurt, fruit, Tazo tea, coffee, cereal) if on club level. Shuttle to/from Metro ran often. Maid service done well, Bliss toiltries, updated rooms, roof-top pool (but with limited hours). Early check in and late check out from gold status too. Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea in room.

Cons: If rate was not so low, would have not been happy with club level food not replenished including coffee, paper cups, muffins, fruit as a result of being understaffed. Food in restaurant medicore and expensive ($4.95 for glass of juice, coffee, side b-fast meat) for the equlivant of an Applebees. No service on club level on weekends.

Wedding was on 16th floor and did not hear a peep as well as other rooms around us. All staff friendly except bar server who was curt and not friendly at all as if we were bothering him.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

I had been very dissapointed with the front desk service. At arrival I requested extra towels, I never got them, there was a very bad odorcoming from the bathroom hall that even after I sprayed Lysol I never get rid of it, The location was ok but the parking lot it is very insecure.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel? Share your experiences!