“I'd avoid this Sheraton property -- it's high price / low class.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 S Orme St, Arlington, VA 22204 (Formerly Sheraton National Hotel)   |
Ranked #28 of 48 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“I'd avoid this Sheraton property -- it's high price / low class.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This concrete unwelcoming Sheraton hotel, which bills itself as high-end hotel, is outdated, lacking style, and has a management staff that doesn't seem to put customers first.

The Sheraton commitment to quality and excellence is definitely lacking at this hotel. Not sure if it is a franchise property, or what the deal is, but I was there for 5 nights and it was consistently low attention to detail everywhere -- they weren't having a bad day, this was how it was all the time.

I waiting almost 25 minutes to check in on a Monday afternoon, while front desk staff would start a person's check-in, then run to get bags from the baggage room, then run out to talk to the shuttle driver, etc. When other guests in line complained to a woman who appeared to be a manager, they were brushed off. It was a busy time -- it was just total chaos and inefficiency.

The hotel has no charm, no style. It is an aging concrete behemoth. They tout a renovated lobby -- but it is reminiscent of the Soviet Union circa 1979. The rooftop indoor pool area and what could be a delightful rooftop terrace had no décor, no plants, nothing except wet tile and some flimsy deck chairs.

The rooms themselves were 1990's style, comfortable, but nothing special. They lacked a mini-microwave and mini-refrigerator (that is almost standard in any other hotel of this type). The bathroom amenities were reminiscent of Motel 6.

Room service trays remained in hallways for more than 24 hours on some days.

Parking in this out-of-the-way location was an exorbitant $22.50 per day, even though there is NOTHING in walking distance of this hotel. The fact that they advertise as close to Metro and shopping is ridiculous, especially with the spotty van service to/from Metro they offer.

The front desk telephone often went unanswered and required 2 or 3 attempts. Wake up calls didn't happen.

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone unless you are able to get it for under $90/night. I'd rank it with a low-end Comfort Inn. There are so many other more quality- and service-oriented hotels in the Pentagon City/Crystal City area to choose from.

• Stayed May 2013
RobSPCGM, General Manager at Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Rick_EMT, I quite honestly do not know where to begin as you obviouosly did not have a good stay whatsoever. All I can do is to apologize to you that we did not meet any of you expectations and fell far short of your standards. As you can see from other Trip Advisor comments, guests usually have a great stay and enjoy our Associates but this did not happen in your case.

So again, my apologies and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

At first I had apprehensions about staying at this hotel. I have been to Washington dozen of times and stayed both in the city and on the outskirts. This was my first time at this hotel and I was wooried about the shuttle. The hotel has 3 shuttles and they are the most reliable ones I ever have taken. This is a very nice hotel that makes up on its few minor shortcomings with great staff and customer service. From checking in with Lemar at the front desk, he knows the true meaning of customer service and he was very nice. One of the best front desk staff I have ever met. He knew my wife and I just arrived tired after a 4 hour drive and went out of his way to make us feel welcome and get us to our room ASAP. The hotel garage is very convenient and the Concierge Lounge for starwwod members is one of the best. We visited it in the evening and in the morning and the offerings are great. It has to have the best view of Washington DC I have ever seen. The lady in the lounge went out of her way in the evening to show us all of the locations and we had a nice conversation with her. this staff is one of the most attentive I have ever seen and I have over 50 stays at Starwood properties this year. This hotel is a must stay and I definately will return.

Room Tip: Jst ask. If they can do it they will
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RobSPCGM, General Manager at Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear mikefaud1, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us during your reecent stay at the Sheraton Pentagon City. You "made my day" to read about how great our our staff was and the great attentive service that they provided you and your wife. I will make sure that Lemar receives special recognition for his efforts along with the Club Lounge servers as they are the best that I have seen.

Thank you for being a loyal Starwood member and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future and I hope we will have a chance to meet in perosn on your next stay.

Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel overnight because my 16 yr old daughter was attending a 5-day conference here, and I wanted to see her settled in. I was pleasantly surprised that it was a very comfortable hotel! It was very clean and the bed was very relaxing! I particularly liked the service provided by the front desk staff Hector. He was very friendly and accommodating to all the questions we had. He correctly directed us to the coordinators of the seminar and provided us with all the information that we kept on asking him.

The buffet breakfast (hot meals) was delicious and there was a wide assortment that included fruits/cereals and yogurt, on top of the usual eggs, ham and bacon, breads etc. I was also very pleased that they had shuttle service to the Metro/subway, and the airport. Overall, a very good hotel.

This hotel is not right smack in the center of DC, but I was prepared for that and having the shuttle service was very convenient. The only thing about this hotel is that the design is a bit traditional, old-fashioned and I like modern (as a personal preference). Other than that, I really enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chickie2012, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us during your recent stay at the Sheraton Pentagon City. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed everything that the hotel has to offer such as a great breakfast buffet and the very convenient shuttle service to the local area along with how comfortable and relaxing the hotel is. I especially was pleased to read how helpful our staff was especially Hector at the Front Desk. I will make sure that Hector receives the appropriate recognition for being so helpful to you during your stay.

Again thank you and I hope your daughter had a great conference! We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Madison, Wisconsin, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my first time at this hotel and as a Starwood Platinum, I stay at a lot of Sheraton properties. This is truly a 10!!! The front desk staff is very helpful, the restaurant and bar service are superb. This is a hotel that actually truly cares for their guests and it is quite apparent that the management team takes great care of the customer"s (guest's) satisfaction. The shuttle service is every 30 minutes to the airport or to the Metro. The rooms are first rate. This will be the hotel I recommend for any pleasure or business trips to the Washington DC area. I will have this as one of my favorites!!!

Room Tip: Great place for families, business and an ideal location to see all Washington DC area has to offer...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rockydogz1, thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at the Sheraton Pentagon City. I was so pleased that you rated us a "10" and found our Associates so helpful. That fact that you "felt" how much we care about our Guests is music to my ears as this is the basis for why we are in the hospitality industry. I was also glad that you had the opportunity to experience our restaurant & bar and took advantage of our great transportation service to the local area.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and thank you for being a loyal Starwood Platinum member as you are so important to us.

Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The neighborhood is changing a bit as Arlington Cemetery expands. Not the best to be walking around at night and not the best to try and find services but you are walking distance to the new Air Force Memorial.

The rooms were good sized - I was in the "annex" (a separate little building) in an odd shaped room. The staff was friendly and the hotel services adequate. The pool on the top floor of the main building was on the smaller side but enclosed with a very nice outside patio area.

Room Tip: Get the main building, not the annex.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear gbtrotter, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us during your recent trip to the Washington D.C. area. I was very pleased to read that you found our staff very friendly and helpful.

Our neighborhood is going through a few changes as they are in the final stages in demolishing the old Navy Annex building and extending the Arlington National Cementary into that space. There are plans for new memorials, trolley service along Columbia Pike and much more that we are very excited about. Although we have a small residential neighborhood outside our doors, we are only one mile to many restaurants & bars, the Metro Station and much more where we do provide complimentrary transportation to and from the hotel all day and night.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Excellent location. Wonderful service. The gentleman at the front desk was professional as was the gentleman who escorted us to our room (Haile Asmanaw). The room was large enough and the bed comfortable with exceptional bedding. Very nice experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bonn843, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience during your recent stay at the Sheraton Pentagon City. I was so pleased to read that you had a great stay and enjoyed the wonderful service provided by our Associates, especially Haile. I will make sure that he receives the recognition that he deserves for his great guest service.

Thank you again and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the future!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The hotel has good shuttle service to both the airport and the Metro. Breakfast in The Potomac restaurant was a brilliant buffet. Club Lounge was also impressive. The room was clean and had a fabulous view of DC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the city.
Green Features: The room has a recycle bin for customer use. ALSO, if you stay more than one day, inform housekeeping that you won't need service, and you receive a $5 voucher for drinks in the bar: excellent!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jason H, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us during your stays at the Sheraton Pentagon City. I am glad that you have the opportunity to take advantage of transportation to the airport & Metro along with enjoying our great breakfast buffet and the Club Lounge not to mention the great views of D.C.

Thanks again and I hope we will have a chance to meet during your next stay at the Sheraton Pentagon City!

Best regards, SPCGM

Been to Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel? Share your experiences!