“WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! DON'T STAY HERE!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 S Orme St, Arlington, VA 22204 (Formerly Sheraton National Hotel)   |
Ranked #28 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bear, Delaware
“WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! DON'T STAY HERE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Terrible customer service!!! I booked my hotel the first week in March for the Marine Corps Marathon on October 27th. I received a call three weeks prior to the race stating that there was a problem with my room and they needed to move me. Being that these hotels sell out very quickly due to the marathon being there, I wasn't sure if I would be able to get another hotel close to the starting area for the race. They planned to move me to their "sister hotel," which was over a 30-45 minute commute, via a shuttle,metro and walking. The girl told me if I had any problems or questions to call and that she would detail a metro route for me as well as send me her GM's number so "next time I stayed with them, they would give me a reduced rate." I never received any of that information and upon researching this new hotel, found out that it was over 20 dollars cheaper, but no adjustment was made. For my trouble alone, they should have either comped my room or given me a serious discount. She told me that since I "pre-paid"(accidently mind you), that "there would be no additional charges." YA THINK!?!?! Should have gotten a refund. She told me that they would give me a boxed lunch(I would be going to my marathon around 630 or so inthe morning...didn't really help). She also told me that they had a "manger's happy hour which I could go to(yeah the night before I run 26.2 miles...great idea). Then told me I could after the race(uh...checking out sunday morning). Glad she paid attention to all the details of my stay.

I called her back later in the day and left her a message. The next day, no return call. I called and left another message, no return call. I call the next day and ask for a manager, the front desk lady asked if she could help me and I told her that I had spoken to this lady and she offered to transfer me to her(which I shot down obviously). She then put me on hold and a guy got on the phone with me. I had to re-explain my story to him to which he replied "let me see if there is a manager for you to speak to..." They transferred me to this front desk "manager" and I got her voice mail stating she "was on the other line, but would get back to me." Never called me back. I called back later in the evening and demanded to not be transferred and that I wanted to speak to a LIVE person. I was then told that I needed to speak to someone entirely different for my situation and of course when they transferred me, I got his voicemail!!! I left him a message. Never heard back.

So growing VERY tired of voicemails and people at the hotel that just keep transferring without care, I looked up the corporate contact information. There was a comment/complaint email option which I did. I heard back within a few hours and they stated that they would be passing this along to the appropriate manger.

Surprisingly(sarcasm), I finally got a phone call from the original girl that I spoke to and she "apologized" and stated that she was forwarded the email that I had written to the coorperate office. She stated that she was going to refund me the money I wanted back and then stated that she wanted me to call her the next day(WHY!?!) I guess she wanted to apologize in "person" and probably try to save face for all the awful service I received. I didn't find it shocking to hear of other customer service issues while reading the other reviews.

To sum it up, I will never stay at this hotel again. Have to laugh at the fact that they even thought I would stay there after they screwed me majorly 3 weeks before my race. Not sure how I had to get moved, when I booked the hotel over 7 months ago. I would imagine I was one of the first to book that. They probably just call people until people agree to move. She also said that the people that didn't pre pay would be out of a room entirely!!! Probably some were marathoners as well. JUST ABOUT THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER...funny since I didn't even stay there!!! Don't BOOK THIS HOTEL!!

Room Tip: Don't Stay here... they don't value their customers!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ashley S, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Jeff E, Thank you for sharing your story and have reviewed your situation further with our team. On behalf of the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel team, we do apologize for the inconvenience which this has caused you. We know how important it is to prepare for the marathon. Per your comments, I have followed up to make sure all concerns with payment were resolved as you stated. We do regret we had to advise you in advance of the relocation of your room for your upcoming visit to our area. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns. Kind regards, Ashley Smith, Guest Services Manager

664 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Penfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed a few nights last week at the Sheraton National and can't say enough about the staff and service. Very friendly, accomodating and professional. Stayed in a boardroom suite with a great view of Washington. Excellent bedding and plenty of room, great bar. Situated near the Pentagon of course, but the surrounding neighborhood is somewhat rundown. When booking, make sure to ask for a room in the tower facing Washington.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing Washinton
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sid2140,

On behalf of the Sheraton Pentagon City team, we would like to say thank you for the time taken to complete a review and the positive feedback of our hotel. We are excited to know you enjoyed your time with us. The views of Washington, DC are amazing from many rooms of the hotel and we are happy to offer views of both DC and Arlington, VA. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in the Washington, DC area.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Management
Wichita,KS USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Clean and attractive property, if it's not having renovation.
I found the shuttle bus easily and immediately at the baggage claim area. We were quickly on our way.
Shuttles were provided on the half hour to the airport (We only went to Reagan DCA).
Shuttles were provided on the half hour to the Pentagon City Metro/Subway Station for "easy" journey to the MALL or elsewhere. Also at this spot is a huge mall with lots of shopping and eating options. We felt safe and enjoyed the people.
No free breakfast-typical of Sheraton. Safe in the closet worked fine. Elevators fine.
Beds were luxurious though mine was at a slant. Seemed like a bed I've slept on before so no big deal.
There is really no dining or shopping immediately around this property other than one ethnic bread restaurant/store.
Breakfast buffet was $15.00 or so. The food was good. Sadly, the serving woman was, of course, obviously foreign and wouldn't communicate clearly. She answered "yes" to questions that needed "no" answers and mumbled. She was somewhat sweet but when I'm spending money, I like straight answers.
DC is full of foreigners and that's fine. However, I expect people who are in the service business to do good service and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE loud and clear.
--NOTE: As experienced travellers know, it is VERY EASY to get dangerously lost on subways. Find someone who will help purchasing tickets and make sure you get exact instructions. Don't take chances when evening is approaching.--
This property was renovated , and is still in the process, and some decisions were poorly made. In the sleeping room the only mirror is in the narrow entryway. I was surprised. Also, the water from the faucets doesn't wash out the sink properly. I noticed at the next hotel on my trip that the faucet functioned as I hoped. This is a very small thing, but it matters in a practical way though nearly trivial.
NO Gideon Bibles in either of the Sheratons we stayed in. I have my own Bible for reading, but this is obviously a statement from Sheraton. Very disappointing. Traditional Christian America IS the America which made the world a free and safer place.
Overall this is a fine hotel.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces the landmarks and the Mall area. Other sides face old town stuff.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pensacola, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here on 10/3/12 to 10/6/12. I got a room on the 2100 level which is in the basement of all places. It smelled musty. I asked three times for a different room out of the basement but to no avail. This to me was unacceptable. I can understand the construction and noise in the driveway or even the pool being up for repairs. (both annoying but acceptable as improvements) however the smell room was horrible. I wish I had febreze.

Room Tip: Stay out of the the basement. Ask in advance where the room is.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton for a business conference on Wednesday 10/3/12 through 10/5/12.
This hotel was fine, although, they are doing some renovations to the hotel, which has the indoor pool closed and the health club has been moved to the 15th floor. The place is clean, the staff is great and the rooms were nice and clean. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant 2 nights and the food was good, but expensive, being this is a hotel.
If you stay here, there is nothiong close by, but the hotel does have a shuttle that takes you to various shopping areas. Parking is $22 a day, but since the hotel was undergoing renovations they were not charging for parking. Wifi in your rooom is not free, but the lobby WIFi is free.
Arlington National cemetary is within walking distance and you can see the Penatagon from the hotel. I'm not sure if that is within walking distance. I like the Sheraton and would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a good view, get a high floor. The highest floors will let you see Washinton an the monu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just to be upfront, I stayed at this hotel using a LivingSocial voucher that was $99 for the room, 2 $5 metro tickets, free parking for the night and 2 free breakfasts and a one night stay.

The front desk staff were nice and polite and patient with me despite several issues that popped up out of the blue. Check in was smooth, I received my room, which was nicely furnished, clean, and very modern and up to date. They are apparently renovating the place so just FYI there is no pool and there was something else that wasn't available but I don't remember what it was. They also apparently take pets, which is a plus for some people. Breakfast was a buffet or a menu affair, and had the usual assortment of catered type breakfast food.

However this place can, and will nickel and dime you if you let them. They charge *per device* to use the wireless. I had assumed it was a flat fee to use it on any device, and their login page didn't say otherwise, so I had to have them remove the double charge. They were not clear on the directions on how to deal with parking, so I ended up having to charge my credit card to get out of the parking garage and then go get it refunded to me. Upon arriving at the Metro, and trying to use the Metro tickets I was given, they didn't work. According to the station attendant I would have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it ironed out so I ate the cost of a day pass and let those two tickets go to waste; they should have worked.

The other thing is, this hotel is in an awful location. There is really nothing around it of note, and if you don't drive out to a metro station with parking you can take their shuttle. The neighborhood around the hotel didn't seem the best either.

All in all if you're looking for something nicely situated for DC there are much better hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room, the lower rooms are right on ground level and felt a little bit unsafe. Watch o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, the room was gorgeous and the breakfast was just fantastic - so much choice and of the highest standard. We used the complimentary bus service to the metro (which then took you into Washington DC) and could not fault this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel? Share your experiences!