“Very accomdating...close to Metro, and restaurants, great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Crystal City

You added The Westin Crystal City to your Saves list
The Westin Crystal City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202 (Formerly Sheraton Crystal City Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Very accomdating...close to Metro, and restaurants, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Got stuck in Newark, and was rerouted to DC, and had to spend a night.. pricelined the hotel while sitting in the empty airport lobby very very early in the a.m, and decided to head to the hotel and try for an early check-in. I know it can't be always be accommodated, but the front desk staff was very helpful and friendly, and made no fuss that we were there very early. Room were good, comfortable, and had an empty fridge for use. Very quiet. Didn't try the restaurant. 24 hours room service also available, but didn't try that either. Had complimentary wireless internet. The concierge was knowledgeable, and sent us a few blocks away to an area full of restaurants, and close to a mall. There's a convenience/pharmacy store CVS within a few blocks as well which good for when your bags have gone ahead without you. Near to metro makes it great to visit the Smithsonian, national mall area, White House.. Free shuttle to and from DCA airport. Lobby has computers for use. Rooms were nice and cool. Staff called to ask if everything was satisfactory. Better than expectations.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
New Jersery
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I was thinking about the brand name when I booked, but things were not as I expected. First of all there were stains on the white towels and bathroom rug, and the bathtub was filthy with soap scum. Second the service is terrible, people at reception show that they really don't care. And third - we paid for extra breakfast, but it was terrible and again - no service!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions. Not because it is a good hotel, but because it is close to the airport and is a Sheraton property. Recently I had to cancel a reservation due to a medical issue. I made a request to cancel the reservation the day before the planned arrival date and they refused. When I talked to the General Manager he made it clear that he does not like government employees and suggested that we should not stay at his hotel.

Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

I got called to a last minute client meeting. I booked this hotel online. The meeting got canceled -- typical for DC, right? When I called the hotel to cancel, they told me all their online bookings have a no refund policy. Don't waste your time and aggravation with a hotel that doesn't understand the market they serve.

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

As the title says, the hotel is rather sad and dreary. There's nothing really wrong with it, but the lobby is gloomy and so are the rooms. Staff were pleasant enough. They kept leaving messages on the voicemail checking things out.
The dining room (I wouldn't call it a restaurant) is more reminiscent of a communal dining area, really sad. The breakfast buffet (all that is offered) doesn't have much choice.
The worst is the elevators. Terribly slow and not sufficient, even during slacker hours.
Fitness room was OK, with decent equipment, though quickly full.

Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

My job doesn't provide a lot of travel opportunities - so, when I go on the road, I'm usually footing the bill and usually call upon the power of Priceline to find me an upscale property for a dirt-cheap price. This delayed review is for a stay in October 2009.

My bid on Priceline for a 3.5-star rated property in the Arlington area was $69 (inclusive of taxes and fees: $86.19) and expected that I'll get the dregs of room choices. This hotel is a block from the Crystal City metro stop, which is a convenient one stop away from National Airport. The Crystal City stop also comes up to a mall which offers a good chance to pick up a few things if you've forgotten them.

The hotel faces an arterial street in front and the Jefferson Davis highway in the back so if you're hoping for a park-like view or one of the DC landmarks, you'll be sadly disappointed. My assigned room faced the highway but I didn't have a problem with it since I come from the "Land O' Highways" known as Houston, TX. The room was nicely outfitted with dark woods, warm neutral colors, and quality linens and bedding.

The front desk was a beehive of activity when I arrived but once it was my turn, the clerk focused all of his attention on me. He quietly confirmed that my room was prepaid through Priceline, issued my keys, and informed me that this was "Customer Appreciation Month" and that they offered coffee and pastries from 7-9AM, free in-room internet, and coffee and snacks from 4-6PM.

The only glitch was found when I wanted to leave for a late lunch - the door locking mechanism would not latch when I was in the hall. When closing the door from the inside, the bolt threw properly. I'm glad that my OCD kicked in and that I noticed this - I'd hate to have someone just push open my door and steal my Prada bag while I was at McDonalds. [I kid about those name brands - I'm a walking billboard for Target brands.] A quick call to the front desk had a maintenance guy at my door in 5 minutes. But, like an impish child who misbehaves when alone with me and is the picture of manners in the presence of others, the door lock worked fine when the maintenance guy looked at it.

All in all, this older property was in a great location for what I needed, had upscale furnishings and linens, and was a very good value for my Priceline bid. It may not work for you if you want to be in the heart of the DC tourist attractions - but those are just an easy 10-minute subway ride.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

The shearton here hasa 3rd party renting the gift shop. attempted to use government travelcard (VISA), only to be told they dont accpet it. As many GOV travels that come to the Washinton area that is UNSAT. THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME I STAY or RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business