“Poor management, indifferent staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Crystal City

You added The Westin Crystal City to your Saves list
The Westin Crystal City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202 (Formerly Sheraton Crystal City Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Poor management, indifferent staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

Where do I begin..Pool was out of service, despite calling central reservations to confirm (was traveling w/my kids). I had to stand in line for 15 minutes at the front desk to find this out, as no signs were posted anywhere. One of only three elevators was out, and wait times were atrocious. Oh, and the air conditioning was out of order from after dinner to 2:00am, and didn't really work that well after that. D.C. is famous for its muggy nights, and the room was like a sauna. I would never go back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — see my review...
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

Very conveniently located near Metro and Regan airport. We were a family of 4 staying for 2 nights. The area around the hotel was definitely business oriented, more than family oriented. However, it did have many conveniences and certainly numerous restaurant choices. It was easy to get into the Downtown area for touring (about 4 metro stops). The AAA rate we paid included access to the Club room which served free hors d'oeuvres during the weekday evenings and a continental breakfast. The room was clean and beds were comfortable. Would definitely consider staying again. Great value for weekend travel.

• Liked — price
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
newport news, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

Made reservation through travelzoo because it had a great rate with 2 free breakfasts.
Also because of the reviews on this site.
They were spot on.
The front desk people were very professional.
The room was wonderful and the bed was so comfortable. I have stayed at a number of hotels recently that said their beds are the best, well they aren't.
The bed was firm and super comfortable.
There was a sofa chair with ottoman that made it comfortable to watch tv.
The coffee and tea were excellent.
The bathroom was super clean with shampoo, conditioner, etc.
The shower was kind of hard to get started, you had to push up on the faucet to get it started. Had never seen that before.
The breakfast on sunday a.m. was a buffet. Good selection.
The service was excellent. The staff acted like they really liked having us there.
This hotel is first class and is also right across from the metro which is so convenient.
Enjoy.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the area. From initially calling the hotel to make my reservation - she assisted me herself rather than transferring me. I was picked up by the most friendly gentleman who offered me water. All of the staff at the front desk were so friendly. They really went out of their way to ensure I was settled in my room. Then - then even called to inquire if I needed any maps or suggestions on what to do while I was here (I mentioned I wanted to get settled first at check in) I could tell I was not the only one that experienced this type of service. Others mentioned in the elevator and in the restaurant with similar experiences - whether it be a simple laugh or a greeting with a smile. I think all it takes to get friendly service - is to be friendly yourself. It goes a lot further. I have already sent my letter to the hotel - but felt the need to put it in writing here. They have a really great team there!

• Liked — Exceptional Service / Location / Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Seasonal Pool
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Riverside, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

I stayed at this property while visiting a friend in DC. The property was reasonably priced, is right across the street from a metro stop, and is surrounded by other hotels/food options/shopping. Because of my status in Starwood's program I received a comp upgrade to a club floor room. Because this was a weekend this included a complementary breakfast buffet in the downstairs bistro, which was substantial (eggs, bacon, potatoes, rolls, pastries, etc.) and filling.

My biggest concern with the property was that my non-smoking room had the lingering smell of having been a smoking room. I also had no functioning ice machine on my floor (the 14th). When I tried the 15th and 12th floors, neither of those ice machines were functional either. When I called the front desk to inquire which floor had a working ice machine, I was told not to worry, that room service would bring a bucket of ice to my room. In my estimation this was an appropriate response to a broken ice machine . Unfortunately, room service never arrived with my ice.

The staff at this property were at one of two extremes, either friendly and helpful or disinterested with an "I can't be bothered" type attitude. Since the property was very lightly booked during my stay I would have expected service to be very prompt and attentive. I sometimes got that and sometimes did not.

Overall I wasn't turned off enough to swear off this property for good, but I wasn't impressed enough to not seek out other options next time I'm in the area.

• Liked — Convenient to metro, good room rate
  • Disliked — Smell in room, inconsistent service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2006

For the price this is an INCREDIBLE place. We paid $95/night, AAA rate, booked on the Sheraton site. The other sites (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) were not much more. Our room (on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor) was spacious -- two double beds (and room to squeeze a rollaway cot between them), a desk, stuffed chair and side table. We had a small refrigerator, and a complimentary bottle of water was brought every day. We were VERY disappointed that the pool "wasn't working" after Labor Day -- I think they just don't staff it or something.

The restaurant food was good -- lots of choices on the kid menu. Service is AMAZINGLY slow. Breakfast service was so slow that they apologized and offered a free breakfast the next day. Dinner was even slower; the waiter explained that it was because, since the dining room had few guests, he was doing room service, too.

Internet access is $10/day, not wireless.

Location is very convenient to Metro (arrive early -- it's confusing!), and to a small shopping center that's attached to the Marriott. There's a Rite-Aid, where you can buy water, soda, milk, etc. to stock your tiny fridge.

Airport shuttle service was quick, easy and friendly.

In spite of the slight disappointments, this was still a great price, and a great place to stay for a D.C. vacation.

Stayed August 2006
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Crystal City last week and found it to be a very nice experience. The room, while a bit on the small side, was clean and comfortable. The staff of the hotel was exceptionally friendly and had immediate answers to all our questions. Our request for extra bath towels was answered within minutes. The hotel is just a hundred yards or so from the metro, which was a major bonus in our book!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Westin Crystal City? Share your experiences!