“Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Crystal City

Save Saved
You added The Westin Crystal City to your Saves list
The Westin Crystal City
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202 (Formerly Sheraton Crystal City Hotel)   |
Ranked #8 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Aberdeen, Maryland
“Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I enjoyed my one day stay at the Sheraton. I chose this hotel for it’s proximately to the Metro and the Pentagon. I easily found a parking spot, and checked into my room. Then, enjoying the warm day, I walked over to the Pentagon. After my meetings, I came back to the Sheraton in time for the Manager’s reception. The food was fine and there was free soda and alcohol. The staff interacted with us during the reception, which I enjoyed.

Finally, I made it to my room, which was very good; spacious and quiet.

The next day, since the price did not come with free breakfast, I took the Metro to the Pentagon and ate there. I came back for my car, and since I stayed 24 ½ hours, I had to pay more than one days rate ($33).

I would stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Parking Fees
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times, but not since 2005. This time I found a very good rate of $119 over the weekend. Usually it costs more than $200 to stay here. My room had a view of Jefferson Davis Highway and the pool at Marriott Crystal City. The Sheraton does not have a pool anymore. The room had an empty fridge so I could put a lot of drinks in there. The hotel is only a block from the Metro and the Crystal City mall, which has a Riteaid and Sbarro, which I like to visit for groceries and takeout respectivelyi. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was tiny, but both the bathtub and shower were good. Internet was $9.95 for a day, but you could go down to the lobby and get free Internet use. Probably the best part of this stay was after checking in on Valentine's Day to be given a small plate of minicakes by housekeeping and wished Happy Valentine's Day. It was certainly not expected and was a nice gesture by the hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

Stayed here because I got an excellent price on roundtrip airfare from EWR + 2 nights for $250. I booked a king bed since I was traveling alone but somehow ended up in a room with double beds. Also, I was on a low floor (4) with a view of nothing (a highway). I couldn't really hear any outside noise though. The rooms are updated, nice, and very clean. LCD TV, frig, and coffee maker are in the rooms. Don't believe that they provide Starbucks coffee for the in room coffee makers though because they don't.
What I really liked: Crystal City is a great place to stay while visiting DC! It's a nice corner of Arlington just across the river from DC. I'm a girl traveling alone and felt perfectly safe walking around this area at 1 AM, which I cannot say for many areas in DC proper. Very close to Reagan Airport also. The Metro is right down the street and makes commuting to the city very easy without a car. Also, if you're a Zipcar member, there are a few available just outside the hotel.
What I didn't like: In room WiFi is expensive ($10 per day). On my first day in the room, an unknown man opened my door with a key card?!? He went away and I immediately reported the incident to the hotel operator but am still asking myself WTH that was all about. The showers are really strange and have the worst water pressure ever. You have to pull on the spigot to engage the shower. Be prepared to take baths. The water pressure is just that inadequate IMO!

• Liked — location, easy to get to the Metro and around DC
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

I enjoyed the stay at Sheraton Crystal City.

Location:
It's very close from both the airport (free shuttle - we had a really nice, attentive driver) and Metro station. It was surprising easy to use Metro to get to DC.

Not too far away from 23rd Street, where they have many restaurants (less than 10 minutes? walk).

Staff:
The staff at the counter was helpful when we asked questions about the area.

Room:
Clean, updated room.
Three things I was not happy about the room: Coffee maker, the wall, and the price for in-room internet.

The coffee maker in our room had wrong-size coffee packet and it was hard to make decent cup of coffee. The lobby had free hot drink (it was hot apple cider one day) and apples, so that was nice.

The wall is too thin and the connecting door between our room and next door had a big gap at the bottom. We could hear people next to us talking. I was really disappointed at this.

I was also disappointed that they didn't have free in-room internet . I think the do in the lobby (they had computers and a printer so you can check-in for flight and print out your tickets).

Overall:
I think this place was a good choice for my trip. Except for the three things about the room, I was very happy about the stay.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Noise Level
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hendersonville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I must say that I am a little biased when I write this review because of the great deal that I received. My wife and I took a quick DC vacation between Christmas and New Years and stayed at the Sheraton Crystal City. We paid $85 per night (inc. tax) for a club room. The club level also includes breakfast, which was nice because it is a full breakfast and tends to be a little heavy. We simply walked it off and were ready for supper around 4:30-5 in the afternoon. The room was very clean and always made up upon our arrival back to the property. As other reviewers have said, the Metro is right across the street, so transportation is close as well. $15 a piece paid for our Metro transportation for the visit. The only complaint that I have, and this may be a bit picky, is the cost of parking; $25 per day. I thought that was a bit excessive, but not bad in all. This side of DC is also convenient to Mt. Vernon if you choose to visit. I was very impressed, and as I said before, "Great for the price". We'll stay here again.

• Liked — The convenience
  • Disliked — Parking costs
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

I needed a one night stay recently to hit Starwood Platinum status for the year and found this property at $69.

The crystal city metro is just around the corner from this property so that makes it very convenient to the metro.

I arrived later in the evening and the front desk clerk ask me if I wanted a kink or double (I had booked a kink) and I said a king room, she said good because I can upgrade you. Not sure what that meant but at any rate I was assigned a room on the club floor. She the ask if I intended to have breakfast in the morning, I said I think so.....I was then informed the lounge was closed and given a coupon for breakfast. The room was a pretty standard room on the club floor. I found it to be dated even though it was obviously recently renovated.

There are quite a few restaurants near the hotel on Crystal drive and it is a good thing as the hotel restaurant was closed on the evening when I arrived.

Breakfast in the morning at the restaurant was horrible. I am pretty easy to please on breakfast usually but the selection, quality and service was sad. The single lady working breakfast tried hard and was nice but was just too slow and needed help. I finished my breakfast before I was even offered coffee. The selection was scrambled eggs, bacon and some very bad potatoes on the warm side and bread and a few pastries on the more continental side. I did not check to see how much they charged for it but it was bad.

For the price and location it was fine but there are better options in Crystal City unless you need some Starwood stays.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at the Sheraton Crystal City recently for a conference for two nights. I somehow got a big nice room on the club level on the 15th floor with an unobstructed view of the city (perhaps because I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest member?) The room was clean and the bed, with its many pillows, was very comfortable. High speed internet connection was $9.95 per day. There was an iron and ironing board in the closet. There was a rack to hang your suit. It costs $10 from Reagan National by taxi. (I didn't bother checking to see if the hotel has a shuttle.) Check-in and check-out were painless. There are many types of restaurant a few blocks away. There's a shopping center nearby and a post office diagonally from the hotel. The Crystal City metro stop is a block away. I used it one evening to and from DC and I felt safe since there were many people using it too.

Two things that were off the mark: 1) I ordered room service three times (2 breakfasts and 1 lunch) and they messed up on my lunch order. I didn't realize it until I bit in to my sandwich and by then it was too late to get it changed. I didn't mind the chicken sandwich. 2) A staff called my room on the day of my arrival and asked me if I would like a wake up call. I told her 7am but I didn't get a call until 7:30. Luckily, I had set my own alarm just in case.

I enjoyed my stay, and I would recommend it although it is catered towards business travelers.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Westin Crystal City? Share your experiences!