“Very comfortable, convenient location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast, WiFi & Parking
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Va Beach
“Very comfortable, convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Good hotel, but not what I've experienced in previous stays. Hotel appears to be regressing in service.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
The Hague
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

It's located in a great spot, close to Regan National, on the metro, and at Pentagon City shops. The decor is a bit stuffy, I prefer the modern look but that's just my personal taste. Well, the bathroom fixtures are a little worn. I gave three stars for sleep quality because my room was next to the elevator and I could hear them running all night. Also, the room was too warm, I couldn't get it to cool off so the air was stuffy. I got the room for gvt per diem, so that was reasonable. What bothers me about the Ritz is everything is absurdly expensive, just for the sake of being expensive. A shot of scotch, $12. And that's just Walker Red. A 10 oz pepsi- $4. Same with the restaurant- a $16 burger, to be fair, I didn't try it, maybe it's worth it. To print something in the business center- $6.00 plus .50 per page assuming you get it done in 15 minutes. At least the coffee is free in the room. I'd recommend it with the following caveats: it's a nice room in a great location, and worth it for per diem but not a dollar more, go elsewhere for food. (Harry's tap room in the mall is a great foodie choice.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Charlottesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

From start to finish, a great experience. Valet parking was courteous and efficient, as was hotel reception. The staff in the dining room were especially friendly and professional. The hotel's direct access to the mall (no need to even step outside) was an extra benefit to our stay. Finally, the price of the stay was very reasonable as it included both valet parking and breakfast. The only minor wrinkle was an erroneous honor bar charge, which they politely and quickly reversed once notified. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Spent 3 nights here over New Year with our 3 young kids in connecting rooms. The hotel staff could not have been nicer - Sam the doorman in particular was always friendly to the kids, remembering their names, and giving my 3 year old son a gift one day. When we returned from a day out, we found a bag on one of the beds with gifts for my 2 daughters - such a nice litle gesture which made my girls' faces beam. They in turn decided to leave a gift for Sam with the front desk. It's things like this which don't cost the hotel anything but which really make guests feel valued.
Our rooms were comfortable, clean and quiet - very high build quality here - we didn't hear any noise from the hallway or neighboring rooms during our stay, not even on New Year's Eve.
The pool is small but never crowded and all 3 kids loved unwinding there before dinner.
Location is very good - there's a metro stop right outside, there's a mall attached to the hotel if you need to go shopping for anything, there's a Starbucks and California Pizza Kitchen across the street. Good locaation for driving elsewhere in Virginia (e.g., Mt Vernon to see Washington's family home). And easy drive into DC - went to the Washington Momument on a Saturday and it took all of 10 minutes (and we found a parking spot right there too).
Only complaint concerns the restaurant - food is fine, but the service is very slow. And I mean really slow. It took 30 mins to get our breakfast the first day. So the 2nd day we had room service which was excellent - food was hot and fresh, the lady delivering it was very nice and friendly, and the kids thought it was the best treat ever! Much better than eating in the restaurant.
Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I went to DC for the first time as I was running the Marine Corps Marathon. This hotel offered a package and even thouh it was a little farther away from the start line, we wanted to have the Ritz experience. It was fantastic! the only but I have was the service during breakfast on the day of the race and the following day which was extremely slow, but they are so helpful and always with a great smile.
Location is great as you don't even get wet to take the train which is across the street. Or you can always go to the mall which is right next to the hotel

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Carolina, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

Hotel was impressing. Everything clean, and well stocked. Very comfortable. WiFi is extra. Great location. Is co-located with the Pentagon City Mall and in front of the Pentagon City Metro station entrance. Another mall across the street. Great Service. Hotel does not offer freebies.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

My wife and I have stayed here several times, and it has had nostalgic significance, as we stayed here the first two nights after we were married in the DC area. It's a beautiful hotel in a great location (right next to the Metro) for getting around and seeing the sights.

But when you stay at a Ritz, you expect a bit more, and the service here just doesn't appear to be up to the level of other Ritzes we've stayed at, nor is it the same as what we've experienced in prior visits here. I had called the front desk ahead of our visit earlier this month to let them know we were coming back to celebrate our 10th anniversary at the hotel, and to see if I could surprise my wife with a a nicer room if one came available. Assured that the request and the occasion of our visit would be noted, I was surprised to check in and have no mention of any of the above. When I sheepishly asked if anyone had looked into my prior request, they rather unapologetically searched for an upgraded room...and told me the difference would be applied to my rate. Don't get me wrong, this isn't about entitlement....though the hotel was far from full, I wouldn't have minded if they said "sorry but we can't accomodate you," but to ignore it altogether surprised me and made us both feel a bit silly. After we checked out, I realized I left my IPOD in the room and called the hotel to see if it had turned up. I was sent to a housekeeping voicemail box, and almost a week later am still waiting for my call to be returned.

Again, this was still a good place to stay, and maybe this was a case of false expectations on our part. Expect great rooms, great views and convenient access to Washington, but just don't go expecting that high touch Ritz-Carlton service. It's not here.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City? Share your experiences!