“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

$50 Shopping Credit, More
Ranked #9 of 48 hotels in Arlington
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I just got back from a 2 night stay. I found the room to be large and nicely decorated. the amenities were very nice in the bathroom. The TV was smaller than what I have seen in Hyatts and Marriotts I have stayed at. My only real issue was that although this was a non smoking room, someone at some point had smoked in the room. It had that stale smoke smell that gets into the rugs and upholstery. I also the bed bit too firm for my taste. The location is ideal. The hotel is connected to mall and it is possible to get to the Metro without going outside. The staff was extremely friendly.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

499 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice size room. Very high service standards at every point in the hotel. Left an Ipad in my room when I checked out and they tracked me down to let me know that day. Super location with metro stop right out front. Will definitely repeat.

Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

After reading some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about staying here but I was very pleasantly surprised. While I haven't stayed at a RC before, I do tend to stay at other high end properties and do tend to have high expectations. After reading some of the reviews, I was very concerned that I would be disappointed.

We went to DC for a last minute trip for my birthday. I originally was going to stay at the RC in DC but they were sold out. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and our room was ready before check in. The front desk staff was very welcoming and took care of us quickly. The lobby of the hotel was nicely appointed. We stayed on the 18th floor which was part of the "club " level. When we arrived on our floor, we were welcomed by the attendant in the club room. We than proceeded to our room which was very nice. It was very clean, comfortable and we had a nice view of the DC skyline. The main perk of the club level was access to the reception area which is a nice amenity. They offer breakfast, lunch, evening snacks and desserts. They also offer you cocktails ranging from wine to after dinner drinks.

The service was very attentive and overall found everyone to be very pleasant. Sonia in the club room went above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Since we were celebrating my birthday, the staff even left a birthday card for me in our room. It was these types of attention to details that helped make our weekend great.

The hotel is located just outside DC so between metro or a quick cab ride, you can easily make your way to explore the city.

We will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

WOW. This hotel and staff set the bar for hospitality. I stayed here while attending the IFPA trade show/conference. Very accomadating. Hotel food good. Staff excellent at predicting my needs (the turn down service at night even had fresh ice in the the room!). The fitness center is well maintained, clean and has modern equipment and plenty of it. Try the steam room or sauna to finish off your workout. A nice mall is adjacent and the metro stop is right out the front door.

Room Tip: i can't picture a bad room in this place. My room faced the Air Force Memorial and gave me view...
St. Augustine FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here for three nights on a business trip. The hotel is about a 10 minute ride from the airport. Next store there is a large shopping mall and across the street, Best Buy, Cosco and other stores.

The hotel is older, but the rooms had been updated. The beds are plush pillow tops with assorted pillows. My room had a flat screen tv, a mini bar, desk and a nice chair to watch TV.

The staff is extremely friendly and I enjoyed my stay.

One two minor complaints, one the desk chair is a old style chair. Which means if you are using the desk with your computer, it does not adjust. Also while the TV is a flat screen, it does not have a why for you to plug in an HDMI cable from your computer.

Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here because I was at a conference held at this hotel. I really have no complaints. From check-in to room service to check-out, each staff member was above-and-beyond helpful and friendly. The room service food was very good - excellent French Onion Soup and a vegetable wrap. The shower was strong and - on day 1 - the towels were fluffy. Day 2, the towels were thinner. So - variability on that front. I really liked the convenience of the hotel being attached to a huge 4-story mall and a metro stop. The room was standard, but roomy, in my opinion, and the bed was comfy. This was my first stay at a Ritz, so others may not be so impressed with this: I thought it was great that I could fill out a form to have my boarding pass printed off for me and it was delivered to my room. Nice! I would definitely consider returning here for a vacation stay.

Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am giving this hotel a VERY GOOD rating because it's above average. That said, it wasn't what I have come to expect from Ritz Carlton properties. That being said, as of this writing, I have been in contact with hotel management and have resolved my issues.

In past RC stays, the doorman has read my name off my luggage tag. Here, upon exiting the cab, the man asked my name. Strange as he took the bag out of the taxi. He escorted me to the front desk and I checked in. I was able to get a room early in the day so that was nice.

My room was a king overlooking the roof of the mall that's attached to the hotel. It was very clean and comfortable, but really nothing spectacular, though I will say that the bed was very comfy and I got an excellent night's sleep.

I did not eat at the hotel, nor did I have occasion to use the lobby bar. Instead, I walked to the mall for meals. Prices on the menu; however, were typical of a nice hotel in the DC area, not really too expensive, but certainly not cheap.

My main issues were that the staff just wasn't friendly overall (except for housekeeping.) In fact, at one point, the concierge was texting on a cell phone behind the concierge staff.

Any time I stay in an RC hotel, there seems to be some sort of renovating going on. In this case, there was a part of the lobby that was closed off behind a curtain. Not sure what's going on as it was a holiday weekend, but for some reason, I always seem to run into some sort of face lift in Ritz hotels.

Internet was free due to my Marriott Rewards status, and it was fairly quick, though I had to log in several times which was sort of annoying. The TV channel selections were decent as well. The air conditioning had some problems as the temperature was set at 64 degrees and it was STILL very hot.

A nice touch is that there is complimentary coffee available in the lobby in the morning, and I was glad to see the coffee station when I arrived, and the next morning upon waking up.

As I mentioned before, the hotel is attached to the Fashion Center at Pentagon City, and a METRO station which makes for easy access to DCA and downtown DC, as well as the surrounding areas. Parking appeared to be valet only, and about $35 per night. As I had taken the train to DC, I had no reason to use the parking.

As for why I wasn't totally happy with my stay, well, it just wasn't what I have come to expect from a Ritz Carlton. Really, my stay was no more special than it was at any other hotel. The facility itself is nice, if a bit tired and in need of a bit more modern furnishings. I didn't really feel welcomed nor valued as a guest. It's these intangibles that can make or break a stay for me and in my opinion, this hotel just didn't make me feel welcome.

Again, I communicated with the management of the hotel and I am happy with the resolution. There really isn't anything wrong with the hotel overall other than needing a little fluffing up and maybe some hospitality training for the associates.

I won't rule out a future visit, and I will give the hotel a chance to redeem itself. That being said, if upon subsequent stays, I still feel the same way, I will choose another hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City? Share your experiences!