“Most ENJOYABLE. Did not want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Shopping Credit, More
Ranked #9 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Tallahassee, Florida
“Most ENJOYABLE. Did not want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I will start by saying that my friends and I had to discuss whether or not we wanted to stay at this hotel again because we were not very motivated to attend the events for which we travelled to DC. We were torn about leaving the club room with the bottomless champagne bottles and the endless meals, snacks, desserts and butler services...

Check-in was pleasant. Frank is the consummate professional with a great sense of humor.

When we did venture out, of course, the yellow/green line Metro station was AT the hotel with two convenient entrances--one through the mall, the other across the sidewalk out front. It is the same line that serves the DCA airport AND the Washington Convention Center. The Pentagon City Mall with a million stores was also there. The Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa, immediately behind the hotel in Pentagon Row has a 20% discount for first time customers was beautiful, clean, and provided great service. Pentagon Row has a DSW, Marshalls, and several additional stores. And, we are shoppers, but we did not shop because we didn't want to leave the hotel.

Though a few previous reviewers were put off by the fitness center, I thought it was very nice. It was well-equipped and pleasant. The treadmills have USB and iPhone ports, televisions, and various fitness programs. Oddly, the water in the Club level was served room temperature with ice, but the water in the fitness center is chilled. I simply brought room temperature water with me from the club level. There were ample towels, the locker room area was clean and well-equipped. There were even apples to bring up your blood sugar after your work out.

The guest rooms were typical Ritz, with nice thread-count linens, thick robes and towels, flat-screen tv's, comfortable arm chairs, a stocked desk, and all the comforts of home and beyond. The showerhead was heavenly. The even numbered rooms have views of the Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery. The wi-fi was a good speed and reliable. There is also a convenient nook in the lobby to print boarding passes.

We did not visit Fyve, the hotel bar and restaurant, but it appeared to be a bustling spot with good crowds and music.

The concierge services, bellmen and everyone were spot on 100% 5 Star service. However, the Club staff was OUTSTANDING. Ms. Parker, Karima, and other staff member from Eastern Europe (I feel really bad about not remembering her name because she was absolutely wonderful) made us feel at home. No request was a bother. They went the extra mile to offer solutions to help us. I just cannot say enough or stress strongly enough how GREAT they are.

We have already booked our next stay and look forward to returning to our new home away from home.

Room Tip: Club level rooms are worth the extra money because of the several meals served there--not just snack...

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

During my recent visit to Washington I stayed one night in this Nice Hotel.
The room was nice, clean, and ready 11:00 am. I like the direct connection to the mall and proximity to the Metro station.
The staff are friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. Corner rooms are a bit larger.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HoustonTrav
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

As always, the Ritz staff members are the star of the Hotel. They are ready with directions and help for all tourist needs. We love the walking directions already printed to see the Pentagon 9/11 Memorial (by the way--a must see). The lounge is a lovely place for a night cap. Our server was the same one from dinner the night before--wonderful. The water bottles in the room were a plus. I went to the mall for STarbucks in the morning--just steps out of the hotel and never outdoors. Highly recommend this hotel.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've written quite a few reviews of trips to a number of different places. I usually stay in either Hiltons, boutique hotels or all inclusives. This time I had my first stay in a Ritz Carlton on a business trip. I had a board meeting at the Ritz, Pentagon City, just outside of D.C. on the Virginia side. This hotel is also very close to National Airport.

So, never having stayed at a Ritz, I was a bit excited. I drove in to the D.C. area at around 7:30 p.m. There's never a really good time to drive in D.C. but 7:30 is definitely not a good time. Rush traffic was still in progress. The Ritz is very close to the Pentagon and Crystal City, which is a nice area in which to stay. There is lots of shopping, sight seeing, and it feels really safe. As I drove in there was a concierge immediately helping me find the right place to stop the car and unload my small bit of luggage. From that moment on, each and every person at the Ritz was helpful, friendly, and very professional. It's the best service I've ever experienced. Check in was quick and easy.

I stayed on the 7th floor in a room with a king bed. The room was pretty standard, with nice furnishings and a really wonderful bed with superior linens. Everything was clean and the room was very quiet the whole night. The bathroom had a good shower and, again, it was spotlessly clean.

I changed clothes and went to the gym. On the 3rd floor, the gym was mostly state of the art. The treadmills were a little squirrelly but passable. The rest of the gym was quite nice: A beautiful indoor pool, steam room, sauna, plenty of free weights and machines, bottled water and plenty of towels. The gym was kept very clean as were all the pools and steam and sauna rooms.

Then it was back to the room and down to the restaurant/bar for some food and drink. i immediately experienced great service, a good bar and good food. Prices were very reasonable and the atmosphere was friendly and relaxing.

Again, I had a great bed so my night's sleep was pretty good for a business trip away from home. That morning I had my first problem. The in-room coffee maker did not work. I called the front desk and they offered to bring me a pot of fresh coffee. I accepted and it was in the room within 5 minutes. A nice gentleman brought in the coffee, apologized for the coffee maker not working, set the coffee down on a table and obviously didn't expect a tip. They could not have done it better!

The next day was all meetings in conference rooms in the hotel. The conference rooms are nice, private and comfortable. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner as a group in our conference room. Service was great as was the food.

I would say that my first experience at the Ritz illuminated to me why this chain of hotels has such positive name recognition, such a fine reputation. It is well deserved if the Ritz at Pentagon City is exemplary of the chain.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Pentagon City in June of 2012. The location was the key factor in our selection process, including the proximity to the metro stop. We were able to travel into the heart of DC without difficulty, either via metro or taxi, and were very happy with the number of excellent restaurants and shops located around the hotel for the nights we needed to be closer to the hotel.

In terms of the hotel property itself, the rooms and amenities were fine. Cleanliness was never an issue, and the staff was more than happy to accommodate any requests we had. We also enjoyed the small workout facility inside the hotel.

Great location, great staff, perfectly fine hotel. Will visit again.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the elevator, which can be a little loud.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

"I feel like a king" those were my son's words during our stay at this lovely and quiet place. I didn't come to this hotel on vacation, as a matter of fact, I live next block to it. We had a major problem at our place, therefore I called this hotel to book two double rooms for three nights. My choice was based on the fact that I wanted to be close to my place, and I thank God for this choice. In a matter of a three minute call I booked the two rooms and head with my family to a place I could call home. We were received at the door like kings "never seen such a huge number of staff in another hotel". We were taken to our rooms immediately and during which the guy with our luggage was telling us everything about the area. He offered to get us two mini fridges and a microwave in case we wanted to grocery shop at the nearby Harris Teeter," never got this service in any hotel". Rooms were spotless clean and room service was always eager to help, they kept stacking the room with free water and whatever we need during the day. As a resident of this area I would say that location is the number one advantage of this hotel. All you have to do is leave your room, go down to level one and down the corridor to find your self in Fashion Center shopping mall, a great place for shopping. You can also access the metro without having to go outside to the street and from there take any line to go to George town and the major attractions in Washington DC and Alexandria. The other positive thing is the friendly staff who tend to go out of their way to please the guests, to be honest I have never encountered such an amazingly lovely and courteous staff in any other hotel. As for the restaurant, I didn't have the chance to try it but I did order a meal in my room and it was heavenly delicious. The internet is $11 per night , but if you plug many devices at the same time, it tends to cut off all the time. There is a swimming pool and a spa on the 13th floor that I haven't had the chance to try. The only thing I didn't like about this hotel is the overrated parking fee, which is $32 a night, so if you happen to bring your car along, and that's what I did because I needed it to take my kids to school, you would end up paying a huge sum of money at the end. All in all, I believe I would start considering this hotel in my future trips for it has everything I wish for in a hotel. I never thought I would ever say that, but I think I got more than what I paid for and I have paid more for hotels that are way below the standards of this place.

Room Tip: My rooms were on the 10th floor and overlooked Hayes Street, so it wasn't a great view. But the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in late December 2012. Check-in (at about midnight, granted) was slow and the front desk gentleman had to hunt down a room with two beds on a floor that wasn't closed due to the low occupancy for the holiday week. The room was fine, but nothing particularly exciting. We had one suitcase that the bellman brought up, but he didn't even put it on the luggage rack, just left it on the floor for us. Perhaps due to our late arrival, we didn't get notified of the fact that Arlington County was testing the elevators the next morning and they would be out of service for periods of time. Unfortunately, one of those times was when I went downstairs to get coffee, tea, milk and bagels for me, my wife and our daughter. Had to wait a good 10 minutes just to get the elevator back up to our room on the 12th floor. Another one of the tests happened when we were trying to get out of the hotel and we were stuck on the 12th floor. We opted to walk down the stairs rather than wait the 5-15 minutes we were told the test would take. The bathrooms could use updating, as they still have the old tub/shower combo. The bath amenitites seemed to be standard RC - again, nothing special. My last complaint was that there didn't seem to be any coffee or tea service available in the lobby. Each morning I had to buy coffee and tea from the restaurant and carry it back to my room on a small serving tray. Yes, I could have made coffee in my room, but I expected there to be complimentary coffee and tea somewhere in the lobby that would have been of better quality. The kicker was having to pay over $5 for a paper cup of milk for my daughter. That seemed a bit outrageous and I suppose I'd have been just as well off ordering coffee, tea and milk from room service.

Overall, this property gets an "average" rating from me. I didn't feel like I got the real "Ritz" service during my stay (which, admittedly, amounted basically just to sleeping in the room each night since we were out and about each day). Nevertheless, this property has a distinctly different feel from the "resort" Ritz Carlton's that I've visited over the years. I wouldn't make a special effort to stay here again, particularly not during the holiday week when hotels have significantly reduced rates across the area. Our stay was nice, but nothing we couldn't have experienced at a Westin or Marriott property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City? Share your experiences!