“Wonderful stay in Washington, DC area” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking & Breakfast
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful stay in Washington, DC area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We just returned from five wonderful days in the Washington, DC area. We were in town to visit our son and cheer him on in his first marathon. The hotel was full, they had several events in the hotel, the Marine Corp Marathon was being run Sunday, and the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear was Saturday on the National Mall. Despite how busy the hotel was, the entire staff couldn't have been more friendly, considerate or professional. This was true from the calls we made to the hotel before our arrival and throughout our entire stay. The concierges in the business center were especially helpful and the housekeeping staff was very attentive to our needs.

Our room was small (see photo) and had a queen not a king sized bed. However it was a corner room with floor to ceiling windows on two sides, with wonderful views of the Key Bridge, Georgetown, the Potomac River, the Washington Monument, and Rosslyn, Virginia. The windows provided spectacular sunrises to greet us each each morning (see photo), and beautiful views day and night. The room was clean and very pleasant, and was entered from a small alcove off the main hallway, making the room very quiet.

The Marriott was the perfect location to watch the marathon as the 1 mile mark is on on side of the hotel and the 3 mile mark on the other. We were able to walk across the Key Bridge to the 9 mile mark, then were able to divide and see our son at 2 locations by the Lincoln Memorial, 2 sites near the Pentagon and at the finish. A perfect spot to stay for marathon runners and spectators alike.

The Marriott is conveniently located 2 blocks from the Rosslyn Metro stop, making getting into Washington easy, and the 5A bus goes directly from Dulles Airport to and from Rosslyn for $6 exact change. A scenic stroll across the bridge to Georgetown provides many dining and shopping choices, and wonderful walks in the historic area. There is also a shuttle bus from Rosslyn to Georgetown.

The lobby and restaurants were very pleasant and inviting. The pool had a lifeguard on duty and a wonderful large hot tub. The Starbucks kiosk/gift shop provided quick breakfasts and snacks. Marriott has free WiFi in the lobby and free computers with internet access in the business center, but only provides internet access in the rooms for a fee and via a hard wire connection. We were able to connect via the WiFi at the Holiday Inn across the street in our room, but I think Marriott needs to consider providing internet access for the room. It was become as expected as a hairdryer and a coffee maker (both of which they do provide) in a hotel room.

The hotel is very convenient for visitors to Washington and the National Mall, Georgetown, the Pentagon, and Arlington, VA. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I recently spent 2 days/nights at the Key Bridge Marriott while on business in Rosslyn, VA. The Key Bridge Marriott is convenient to businesses and hte Metro in Rosslyn as well as an easy walk across the Key Bridge to Georgetown.

The rate was very affordable for the DC market. Also, the Bellman were very attentive in helping with luggage and securing ground transportation.

The hotel was very quiet and my room was very clean.

Two big drawbacks for me at this hotel: (1) hotel restaurant--lackluster service and very mediocre food at dinner; (2) internet service--no wireless internet in room and wired service was not reliable. Hotel uses Ibahn as an internet vendor and front desk refers guests to Ibahn's customer service number when there are problems. Lots of folks using the lobby's wireless when I was there. Helloooo Marriott--when will you get reliable wireless in your properties at a reasonable price??

Otherwise it was an average hotel stay. I would stay here again/recommend to others if rate was favorable and I was doing business in Rosslyn or Georgetown. Otherwise I would explore my other options.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I had to call the hotel to change a small aspect of my reservation and the woman who answered had no idea what she was doing. She had to ask for my reservation code 6 times... she had trouble verifying my name.... she could not understand what I was asking for her to do. All I was asking for was to see if she would enter a note that we'd be in earlier than check-in, so that we might request an early arrival time. All she kept saying was that she couldn't guarantee that, which I already knew, but she felt the need to repeat it several times. I'm pretty sure, by her voice, that she's the same woman who physically checked me in when I arrived, and she wasn't much better in person. But enough about her. She's really the only person we interacted with (no other staff even smiled when passing us in the hallways) so that's my only impression of their staff: confused, confusing, and without depth.

The hotel, too, seemed confined and cluttered. There was so much stuff, and it was all dark, and there wasn't much natural light, so the whole place seemed cramped. The rooms themselves were very small, but I think that's typical for DC. There was barely room to get into the bathroom without having to step over the toilet to shut the door. Typical Marriott toiletries from Bath and Body Works.

Definitely a quiet hotel; didn't hear anyone our entire time. Not even the staff.

It was well-decorated, in typical old-fashioned DC style, just small. We had a decent view over the pool, the Potomac, and the nothern bank of the river. The overhang above our window was so large, though, that we didn't get any light into the room at all (again, making it feel smaller). We had a hard time getting ready for the wedding we were there to attend because there was such little room to maneuver and the lighting, even with lamps on, was so low that I could barely see myself in the closet-door mirror.

Outdoor swimming pool and patio area, connected to indoor pool. Inside, their restaurant didn't look too appealing (so dark again!), but you'd likely want to walk into Georgetown anyways, since it's so close.

It was so close to the Key Bridge, so we easily walked into Georgetown, which was awesome. There is a small fee for parking, with a choice to park in their garage or in the lot in front of the hotel.

I don't know what the hotel is rated, but overall I'd rate it 3 stars. The furnishings and amenities and location were nice, just not spacious, but the atmosphere of the establishment was just so dull and dismal, that we left not wanting to remember it at all.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a conference for five days, and would not choose to stay there again in the future. I think you can find better hotels for the same amount of money in Rosslyn. Some problems include very expensive and slow internet (despite the "high speed" description on the advertisement). I could not even use Skype because it kept freezing and disconnecting. When I mentioned the slow internet to the staff they just shrugged their shoulders. The air conditioning/fan is very loud and the walls are quite thin, so you hear everything around you. Not unexpectedly, the room service menu is hugely overpriced for what you get. Apparently they are not participating in Marriott's environmental ECHO program, since there were no signs about washing towels or bedsheets everyday.

Some pluses -- the bell staff was very friendly and the buffet breakfast is good (but expensive if you don't have it included in the room). The beds are also quite confortable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stayed here on a quick leisure weekend. The hotel delivered good value for the travel dollar. The location is close to the Metro (about a 5 minute walk). The lobby area is very modern and attractive. The lounges are beautiful. Unfortunately, the guest rooms are dated. I found the bed too soft. The bath is on the small side. Overall, this is a good choice if the price is right just don't expect too much.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I had probably my worst check-in experience of the past five years at this hotel while in DC for a conference earlier this year. Checking-in around 1pm, the staff told me a room would be ready at 2.30pm, then told me I had to wait till 4pm. The reception staff were surly, rude, unhelpful and passed me from one person to another, none honoring what others had previously agreed to. I have never experienced anything like this at a Marriott, and it is one of my preferred chains. This hotel seems to be pretty fully booked with DOD staff from the Pentagon during the week and cheap, leisure travellers at weekend. I certainly didn't feel it wanted my business, so will not be staying there again. It has little to recommend it other than being walking distance to the Rosslyn metro station and walking distance to Georgetown if you don't mind walking across the bridge (not something I'd recommend late at night).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

I would definitely stay here again! The hotel was convenient to D.C. with the Rosslyn Metro nearby and cheaper parking than in D.C. You could get cheaper parking further out but then you would pay more for the metro so I didn't mind the $17/day fee. The concierge was awesome! We had a lot of questions and each one was answered thourally and cheerfully. The food in the restaurants was very good but breakfast was a bit pricey if you didn't want to get the buffet. The bar staff were awesome and welcomed us every evening. Only downside was WiFi wasn't free in the room but you could go to the lobby and get it for free. Rooms were small but clean and beds were very comfy. There was even a selection of pillows - feather or foam. We got a "monument view" which was not ready until 4:45 pm but definitely worth the wait. Also had to ask twice for a refridgerator but did get one. Pool area was clean and nice. The hot tub was foamy but if you can get past that, it was relaxing. We found some decent restaurants over by the Metro and took the shuttle into Georgetown one night. At the bartender's suggestion we ate at Mike and Tony's - outside. I loved my grilled shrimp. Hubby is not a fan of seafood and said the Jerk Chicken was so-so. All in all this was a great place to stay and I would definitely do so again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Key Bridge Marriott? Share your experiences!