“Great Location, Lobby and Staff - Rooms Not So Great” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Location, Lobby and Staff - Rooms Not So Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

love the Marriott chains, but the Key Bridge location has very outdated rooms. Very small, furnishings older, wallpaper (yuck) and just not the usual standard for Marriotts. I love this location and wish they would upgrade rooms.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Wasilla, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here about 20 years ago and it was quite nice. Nothing has changed. The staff is GREAT! But, nothing has changed. My room was very comfortable and clean but it could definitely use an upgrade. My business travel was to Georgetown so it was very convenient. I have no complaints.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Binghamton, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Okay - I stayed in this hotel in the 70s when my family came to DC sightseeing. This time, I was put up there for work.

Pros: People are very, very nice (so that goes a long way in my book). The food I had was nice. The rooms and common rooms/areas were clean. Walkable to the Metro, and across the bridge to Georgetown. Location is the best attribute.

Cons: The property needs a facility refresh - for instance in the room, the bath had areas in desperate need of caulk, the AC/HEAT made very loud noises when it went on and off (ALL THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT), the rug wasn't taut, the gym equipment (some failed to work) felt slimey (needs a good wipe down daily), some areas (e.g., halls, gym) had a musty scent. Ceilings were LOW in the bath - and while i don't need it - the fat person curved shower curtain rod was missing (so I don't think it has been redone in ages).

The company booked the rooms - and I think they were supposed to be prepaid - we were told to put down card for incidentals. In the end they charged my personal card for the room (i had no incidentals) - I am still working through this, but I might have noticed this point at check out if the invoice had said VISA and some digits of the card (last four maybe). This could be my company's issue - but it would be nice to have more specific designation of the card used for payment on the invoice. If I was paying, I am not sure why they refused to credit my personal Marriott rewards account on checkin (they said they couldn't because it was company block). So definitely a bit confusing.

Room Tip: avoid 394 - ask for outside room.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Daniela F, Executive Assistant at Key Bridge Marriott, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Key Bridge Marriott.

Please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. From the nature of your comments, it seems we fell considerably short in our efforts to provide the accommodations you have come to expect from Marriott. I understand how important a well maintained room is to our guests and how it has a negative impact on their stays. I would like to speak with you further in order to get more information about your stay, please feel free to private message me in regards to which fitness equipment you encountered that wasn't working as well.

Again, we sincerely apologize for the experiences you had at the Key Bridge Marriott and I would love the opportunity to speak with you further. Sadly at this point I will not be able to rectify your disappointing experience; however please reach out for your next visit to Arlington.

Warmest Regards,
Executive Assistant
Harrisburg, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stay in the Rosslyn area for business about once a quarter. I'm a couple blocks over at a sister property (Courtyard). However, I decided to give this Marriott a try. I wasn't sure what to expect due to the ratings. While not perfect, not the best Marriott, I would stay again. I decided to list our the pros and cons. Here it goes:
Positives:
- Wonderful check-in experience. Recognized as the Gold Rewards member, no wait, special line, and very helpful. She was great. What a nice first impression.
- Lobby - clearly recently redesigned and looks great. I didn't dine/drink but it features a Connexion lounge too. Very nice and popular spot. If I stayed longer, i'd probably find myself hanging out here. Plus if you don't use the in-room wi-fi you can get free wifi here.
-Pool - I didn't use it but looks like a very nice indoor/outdoor pool.
-Bed - those darn Marriott beds. I don't know what they do but they're so comfortable. They have the standard Marriott bedding, etc
-Cleanliness - no issues here. Clean rooms, hallways, etc. No odors as others have mentioned.
-WiFi - yes it was free for me, but the great part was the speed. Very fast! I was able to get lots of work done.
-Location, location, location! Super easy walk to Metro station, the hotel is at the Key Bridge so if you want to walk to Georgetown you can. However, Rosslyn has some great places to dine and they're all walk-able. Park your car and walk...
-Concierge lounge staff. Give these women a raise! Some of the most friendly employees I've come across in a long time. Also the food was very good at breakfast. I only stopped in for a cookie at night, but the chicken looked good... Oh and the view is pretty cool too.
CONS:
-Older furnishings in the rooms. While they have clearly spent on upgrading items such as TVs, etc, they've ignored a few things. The furniture is looking worn. Do something with that sad looking chair/ottoman. It belongs in the 90s. Did I mention the wallpaper? Very dated looking. Hopefully this is on the list for renovation soon.
-The room AC. Maybe I got a bad room, but to get ANY type of cooling you have to set it at 65 degs. Unacceptable for a full service hotel.
-Thin walls. You'd think an old property like this would have thicker walls, you'd be wrong. I could hear everything from my neighbor. They weren't being loud, it was like they were in the room with me.
-The property size and design. This could be a hindrance to some of you. I'm able bodied, so no problem. The design of the building is odd, confusing, and the walk from the parking garage can be long.
-Concierge lounge coffee. A minor complaint, but do something about that lousy insta-coffee machine you're using. Brew up some decent stuff.

Overall - the staff is what makes this place shine. It's an older building and has some upkeep issues. Management needs to pay some attention to room furnishings and wallcoverings next. Just don't change that wonderful staff. I know some reviews mention about airplane noise. I did experience that, but it's not too bad and flights end later in day.

Dear Mr. Steven B.,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your positive and constructive feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Key Bridge Marriott.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay in regards to our dated property. Please accept our sincere apology for the short comings. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this was an isolated issue that is corrected moving forward.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Arlington.

Kindest Regards,
Lovingston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My daughter and I booked rooms here recently for a bike-riding weekend along the C&O Canal and the Rock Creek bike trail to the National Zoo. The location could not have been better as we rode our bikes straight out of the hotel parking garage onto the Key Bridge and over into Georgetown. The room rate and the parking fees ( $19 per night ) were not cheap, but the room was clean and modern, the front desk and pool staff were especially helpful and pleasant, and the lobby's Starbucks was a real convenience. The negative reviews we read on-line before arrival gave us some concern but for our part the criticisms seemed unfounded. We had a very good stay and we will use this site again for a return trip.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Westmont, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for a few days for the weekend while my wife was in a 10 day DC biz trip. We picked it because everything else was crazy expensive for the weekend for reasons that made no sense. Still at $250 a night it was more than it was worth. This Marriott has been around for many many many years and they have attempted to keep it current. Good service, decent public spaces, very limited food (bar service only) and dated rooms. You can tell they haven't updated the rooms other than paint when there are only 2 or 3 plugs for all the electronics we now carry. We're premium Marriott users so we get free WIFI but they charge everyone else $13 to $17 a day...WHAT? The hotel is convenient to Arlington and Georgetown but it's a $15 cab ride to almost everywhere else. Metro station is a big big walk. We probably won't stay here again unless the alternative is $400 a night.

Green Features: Not much other than reuse of towels that we could see.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Daniela F, Executive Assistant at Key Bridge Marriott, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Martin D.,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding the hotel. Your observations are very helpful in our pursuit of guest satisfaction. Marriott strives to be a leader in customer service, and comments from guests such as yourself allow us to make improvements. We have forwarded your comments to the hotel's Executive Office for review and possible implementation.

Kindest Regards,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lets talk about the good things first:

1. The hotel is very close the the Rosslyn metro station. Makes it convenient to go around.
2. The Lobby, the front desk areas are above average, the staff is friendly.
3. There are always taxis outside the hotel.
4. The breakfast in the concierge lounge is excellent. The views are good. Food and the place are both clean.
5. The Beds and Bathrooms are neat.

Now here is what bothers me the most

1. The Hotel is OLD, really OLD.
2. The ceilings are short. I can literally touch them , 8.5 ft is what I would guess.
3. The floors/carpets are really old and dusty.
4. The rooms are boring with wall paper from ancient times.
5. The hallways smell dusty and look dirty
6. Now lets talk about the GYM. the gym is split into 4 rooms. small rooms. you can barely breathe in them. you cant do shoulder presses as you will hit the ceiling. the equipment is OLD!

I guess it is time for a major overhaul.

Dear Sridhar K,

Marriott strives to be a leader in customer service, and comments from guests such as yourself allow us to make improvements. I have forwarded your comments to the hotel's Executive Office for review and possible implementation.

Your patronage and continuing loyalty to Marriott are very important to us.

Kindest regards,
Daniela F.

Been to Key Bridge Marriott? Share your experiences!