“Key Bride is Key to our stay in DC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15% off
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
West Springfield, Massachusetts
“Key Bride is Key to our stay in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We travel to Washington DC every other summer, usually in August, for a 7-10 day stay. For us, the Key Bridge Marriott is the best accommodations for the price, the location and the accessibility. Going into the city? The metro is only a couple of blocks away. How about George Town for dinner? A wonderful walk across the Key Bridge and you are there. Want to park your car and leave it there till you leave? Marriott's on site parking garage makes that possible. Depending on availability and your pocket book, your room could have a great view too. We have always found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. If you are going to spend time in Washington DC to see the many sites, or tend to college events and don't want to break the bank, we recommend this Marriott without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Key Bridge Marriott is a reasonable place to stay for visiting the Washington, DC area. It is located about two blocks from the Rosslyn Metro station, which provides easy access to the Mall and the main DC attractions. It is also in walking distance to M Street in Georgetown with its broad selection of restaurants and shops. The Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Memorial) is about a 20 minute from the hotel, and Arlington National Cemetery is just to the south of the Memorial and the Netherlands Carillon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First of all, I'll say that yes, the lobby was re-done recently and looks very nice. It has a mini coffee shop, a restaurant, and bar with ample places to sit while you wait for a cab etc.

However, when we got to our room, it had a communal balcony with no view above a dingy parking lot, giving it the feel of a cheap motel. We had to keep the curtains closed all the time or the kids from neighboring rooms would run up to our window and look in. Then we noticed that even when we closed the balcony door, it still felt like it was open....turns out, the insulation around the door had been peeled off so there was an open crack around the door letting cold air in constantly!! I called the front desk, was told there was nothing they could do (no other rooms available) and that they had not known of this problem (seriously? Nobody else complained? It was freezing!). Horrible response. Hire a maintenance person! Or if you have one, call him! Stick some insulation tape around the gap - it's not rocket science. Gave me a bad impression right from the start and then we lived with it for 3 days. This hotel is in disgustingly poor condition.

Other oddities:
- the toilet in our tiny bathroom was installed at an angle (probably a building code thing) - however, this meant that the lid could only be lifted about 80% of the way before it hit the counter top above it, and it would fall down without warning, sometimes while the appliance was in use (if you know what I mean...). A rude surprise every time.
- no closet or any extra space in the room. We had nice clothes to hang and were given a tiny hanging rack (less than 2 feet long) in a dark corner. Besides that, we basically spent 3 days tripping over each other in the cramped space...which is not even to mention the 7 foot ceilings which feel cave-like.
- our room was not serviced by late afternoon one day, despite our being out of it most of the morning. This meant that we had to get dressed for a wedding in a messy room. I had to tell the housekeeper not to clean it, as we had waited as long as we could and needed to get dressed. It was pretty inconvenient.
- breakfast is a pretty standard buffet but costs $15.99 because there is nowhere close by to get breakfast except McDonalds. Beware if you come in a group, the servers (who only bring juice and coffee) attach a 20% gratuity for themselves. Pretty sweet deal for them...
- the pool closes early despite posted hours. Then a snotty pool attendant will give you a hard time and say things like "that's how we've been doing it for 10 years." How should I know how long you've been inconveniencing people?!

The location here is sort of convenient...a 10 minute walk across the bridge gets you to Georgetown and there are some lunch places within a few blocks the other direction in Rosslyn. However, we had trouble getting cabs when we needed them and had to drag our luggage through a major construction zone on the way to and from the airport via Metro. Being in Rosslyn can feel a bit isolating as compared to the rest of the city.

Overall, the experience at this hotel really added stress and left a bad taste in my mouth for what should have been a nice weekend. Just seemed like every time we wanted to just rely on our room to provide comfort, it didn't. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Room Tip: We had family members change rooms and found that all of the AAA discount rooms were sub-par (extra...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

First of all, please note that I have 45 reviews on tripadvisor, and that many of the one-star reviews are by people who have only written one review on this Marriott. With that said, here is my review:

BUILDING/FACILITY

I saw NOTHING that needed repair or looked "aging", in fact, everything looked lovely, both in the lobby, bar area, restaurant, reception, our room and the exterior of the hotel! In fact, we had 3 sets of friends come to see us at the hotel, and they all commented on how it was such a great looking hotel. The lobby is a great place to hang out, the furniture is clean and comfortable; our room was perfect, nicely furnished and loved the black out curtains, which allowed us to sleep-in a bit, and we had a fabulous view of Georgetown and the Potomac River. I would say that the heater in room 796 needs some work as it would kick on for 5 minutes then shut down for 1 or 2 minutes, which was REALLY annoying after a while, and I only had it set at 68 deg. The bathroom was very clean and it had a fabulous shower.

LOCATION

If you're visiting Georgetown or have a child at the university, this the a perfect location. If you're in town to do the "tourist thing" then I would still recommend this hotel. It's practically next door to the Rosslyn underground station and next to the Circulator and Metro bus stops. We walked to the monuments from here, but it is probably too far for most people.

AMENITIES

I have no complaints about the amenities, except that Marriott could make it better by offering free in-room wi-fi to at least all Marriott Rewards members (there is free wi-fi in the lobby.) There was a pool, which we didn't have time to use; and although it's not offered by Marriott, I loved that the GUTS bus stops here. As for having to go "all the way to the lobby" to deposit one's valuables in a safe, all I can say is that is truly a first world problem! They offer the deposit boxes as a free service, and they had one big enough to fit my MacBookPro. I'm happy with the fact that there was any place that I could safely store my valuables, and wasn't stressed about having to carry a key, as it's something I do every single day of my life. Think I've made my point here. :)

CUSTOMER SERVICE

I can honestly say, this was one of the best customer service oriented hotels I've been to. Everyone I dealt with was more than helpful, from the person who took my request to have a room overlooking Georgetown University to the valet who was so helpful with our luggage, I would give them 5 stars! My request was fulfilled and we got our room with the view. The people at the front desk were all friendly and helpful, just a great place to stay, and I will definitely be back, due to this experience. Even the concierge jumped up from her desk when she saw me waiting for someone at the front desk, even though I was already being helped.

FOOD

I can't really comment on this because we didn't eat here, but a friend who was picking us up ate a crabcake and said it was the worst one he'd ever had, so I wouldn't recommend the crabcakes!

VALUE

I paid $99/night which was a great deal for this area/time. All my friends who came to the hotel commented on how it was such a good deal for how nice the hotel looked.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river have lovely views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kettering
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The location is great for access to Georgetown University. It is also a couple of blocks from the DC Metro station for access to DC. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room while not overly large but was not cramped. Everything in the hotel was clean and well maintained. Internet access is free in the lobby but expensive in your room. There is a restaurant for breakfast but it is not reasonably priced. The bar/lounge was nice for an evening beer or a small meal. Parking in most large cities is extra and is no exception here. Prices are highly volatile depending on the local events. The range can be more than 100% variance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Small room, terrible service, not family oriented. Not to mention no safe in the room, we had to go all the way downstairs to the reception area to put our electronics and cash in a safe, not to mention a $250 fee if you were to loose the key-- stressful, especially since there is no mini bar in the doll size room. Are you kidding, no mini fridge to put a bottle of baby milk if you had an infant or young child, which we did. As for room service, mac an cheese, and soggy french fries took two hours before arriving, after two phone calls. Yes, they didn't charge us for it but after all it was uneatable. As for the pool, the heated pool, cold as ice. Service was poor all around. The best thing about this hotel, if I had to mention one is ummmm.....don't have one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 6 plus 1 kid and we booked 3 rooms, requested king beds, same floor if possible. One of us were given a handicapped room. We don't really mind as it is more spacious for obvious reason. But we thought it should be a general hotel standard to inform their guests if they assigned such a room type for guests who don't need this. In general, rooms are very tired. But an old hotel doesn't need to be badly maintained. And one can tell the differences. Linen smell heavy chlorine, paintings were slanted on the wall. Carpet is filthy, all lamp shades were slanted, dust can be easily seen on the bedside table under the light.... There were just not enough 'care' to live up to the Brand's reputation.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Key Bridge Marriott? Share your experiences!