“Convenient Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
El Cajon, CA
“Convenient Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I tagged along as my was there on business. Hotel was responsive to all of our requests. Provided breakfast was usually very good, although one morning the eggs were cold. Hotel room was clean, big, and had a couch next to the window so you can enjoy the view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.

708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My sister and I stayed at this hotel last weekend. I was visiting VA from overseas and had to fly out of DCA at 6:59AM. Since we didn't want to drive in from her town over 60 minutes away, we opted to stay here for the night. The hotel is 5 minutes, or less, from DCA.

The lobby is very clean and the check-in staff is extremely friendly and professional. They greeted us with smiles then verbally when we approached the desk. We were given a room with a city view.

The room had a king-size bed, full length couch, and was very comfortable. My brother and his wife even visited us and there was enough room for us to socialize; we ordered pizza from the nearest Papa John's.

The water pressure in the bathroom was great (sink and shower). It was clean and there were no signs that it needed any repair.

TV worked great.

The parking situation can be tricky for those from out-of-town. There is street parking that is metered and free on weekends. Otherwise, you will either need to use the valet service or park in the garage (entrance behind the hotel near the Starbucks). The garage situation can be a little stressful at night; I don't remember seeing an elevator from the garage into the hotel-- we were lucky enough to park on the street for free as it was Sunday of MLK Weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
HyattCrystalCity, Manager at Hyatt Regency Crystal City, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
I'm so happy to hear you had a great time with your sister during your recent stay at our hotel. Our location next to DCA can't be beat! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back anytime.
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

excellent value on checking Saturday , but rate increased like 3 times on Sunday...ready for business people willing to paid the top $ , but great location for restaurants and Metro to visit DC on a very economical way using the Metro wich is a AAA+ coverage etc etc
Pool was out service due to major repair

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Crystal City! We appreciate your business and the review. I apologize for the pool being closed during your stay, come back another time and enjoy the sunshine.
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I've stayed here on multiple occasions and it is a very nice hotel with little to complain about.

The fitness center is quite nice, unlike most hotels with a couple pieces of broken equipment.

Kiosk check in works wonderfully and is the best around.

Hot tub on pool deck is great for a relaxing soak at the end of your day.

Staff overall seems friendly and helpful.

Room quality is good, possibly with some updates needed in the near future (e.g. carpet.)

Overall this is my favorite hotel in Crystal City and especially ideal if you're working at this end of the city. If you need instant access to the Metro for your stay you might consider a hotel directly above the metro line- but otherwise it is hard to go wrong here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing us for your stay! I am glad you found our amenities to be so convenient and enjoyable. On your next visit, make sure to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle to the Crystal City Metro Station. Our staff looks forward to seeing you again soon!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 nights during the Surface Navy Association Symposium. The hotel consistently goes above and beyond to make my stay (and the Symposium) excellent. Service was top-notch. Food served was excellent as well.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
We always love to welcome Surface Navy members back to the Hyatt Regency Crystal City! I am glad you had a great experience with us and that you found our service to be top-notch. We hope to see you again next year.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I recently stayed here under the Business Plan rate. The hotel itself is reasonably nice for a business stay. It’s very close to the airport and many nearby offices are easily walkable from the hotel. The room was comfortable and I had no complaints with cleanliness. The in-room safe was not working, and after bringing this to the attention of the front desk (see below) it was repaired. The bathroom is small, but it was sufficiently equipped for a single traveler. The wireless internet service was okay, no issues there. I had the breakfast buffet in the 2nd floor restaurant on two mornings. The food was good, there was a nice selection of both hot and cold foods, and the service was friendly and efficient. I had drinks and a chicken quesadilla in the lobby bar one evening. The drinks were ample, no complaints. The quesadilla was okay, but not really great. I used the shuttle service for a quick ride (and return) to the nearest metro stop. I also used the hotel’s airport shuttle for my return trip to the airport. I did not use the airport pickup shuttle - I waited for 15-20 minutes and never saw the shuttle, and finally another hotel shuttle driver asked where I was going and offered me a ride which I accepted.

I did have a few issues which are related to staff and management. First, check-in was not smooth. I asked the check in agent about the free breakfast and free internet that was included in my rate. She told me that was wrong, neither was included. Only after calling a manager over did they confirm that my rate actually did include these. Second - tooth paste. Aquafresh toothpaste is a common amenity offered by most, but not all, Hyatt hotels. It is a nice amenity that distinguishes Hyatt from most of the other chain hotels, and one that I appreciate when I’m flying to a destination. I checked the room descriptions when I booked this hotel, and noted that toothpaste was an “amenity”. So I was surprised and disappointed when, upon arriving in my room (shortly after 11pm) that there was no toothpaste. I assumed it had been overlooked by housekeeping, but upon returning to the room the next evening I noted there was still no toothpaste. I mentioned this to the front desk the following morning and they apologized and delivered a tube to my room. I also questioned the front desk about the “complimentary bottle of water” that was supposed to be included in my Business Plan rate. I was told that complimentary water was not included, but they would comp a bottle due to the tooth paste issue and the safe issue. I consumed one of the $5 Aquafina bottles of water that evening.

Upon return home, I received a Hyatt survey which I filled out. I was later contacted by email by someone at the hotel. They informed me that the toothpaste amenity was only provided on request. I believe that when a hotel advertises toothpaste as an amenity (along with hair dryer, free local calls, etc.) that it should be present in the room without me having to ask for it (as is the case in every other Hyatt I’ve stayed at, which is a lot of Hyatts). During the email exchange, I rechecked my rate description, and noticed that I WAS supposed to get a free bottle of water each day. I also noticed I was suppose to receive a daily newspaper delivered to my room each morning (M-F). The hotel responded that I was correct about the water, and told me they would remove the charge for the water…..Unbeknownst to me, after I checked out, they billed me for the bottle of water I was supposed to be comped for due to the toothpaste and safe issue….and even though I was suppose to receive a free bottle each day.

Hotel management made no other effort to respond to my complaints other than to tell me toothpaste was only provided on request and removing the bottled water charge.

I would sum this up by saying unfortunately you as the guest will have to understand what is included in your rate, and then verify and insist that the hotel provide it to you. The hotel staff made several mistakes, and I was very disappointed my the management's half-hearted attempt to reach out after my survey responses were received and then failing to acknowledge a number of my concerns, and made no there efforts to address or compensate for the obvious short comings.

For the record, my rate also included "1 free shirt or blouse pressing daily". This was not mentioned or offered, and I did not request it, but this again demonstrates the hotel's failure to both understand their own rate plans and to be forthcoming in delivering the included services.

Again, the hotel generally was a nice place to stay while on a business trip, but the overall service as reflected by management and the front desk were disappointing at best.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
HyattCrystalCity, Manager at Hyatt Regency Crystal City, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Greetings Tanq,
We appreciate you sharing these details about our experience at Hyatt Regency Crystal City. We are very sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Your feedback regarding your Front Desk service has been relayed to the staff and is something we will continue to work on. We apologize for the confusion with your specific rate plan and for the fact that the response you received from management wasn't up to par. We hope the next time you come to visit Crystal City that you will give Hyatt Regency Crystal City a second chance to make your stay an enjoyable one.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here for a conference and was very impressed with the service. The staff at the front desk, in the restaurant, and manning the buffet were all extremely friendly and accommodating, helping with directions, recommendations, mailing items, and even snagging me my favorite kind of soda! The room was nice - nothing spectacular - but it was clean. The buffet breakfasts and lunches for the conference were surprisingly good. I usually don't expect very good food at these kind of events but they were hearty, tasty, and filling. There is a free shuttle that provides transportation to the subway stop as it's quite a walk.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HyattCrystalCity, Manager at Hyatt Regency Crystal City, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hello VoyageHopper42,
Thank you for your great review of Hyatt Regency Crystal City. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be so kind and service oriented. I will pass your kudos on the conference meals along to our Culinary Staff; they love to hear that the guests enjoy the food. Thanks again!

Been to Hyatt Regency Crystal City? Share your experiences!