“Luxury all the way” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Luxury all the way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed two nights. We booked on Expedia.com and got an unpublished rate of $150 for two nights!!! At that price, the hotel's value is off the charts (in the good direction!).

From the moment you arrive you are greeted by the Valet parking staff. Our attendant was helpful in allowing us to check in (20 min) while our car stayed out in front, at no charge. Inside, the staff at the front desk were very polite and helpful in every way.

Our kids really enjoyed the outer elevators, which ascend with a view of the lobby, 1st and 2nd floor atrium and then exit above that with a view of the pool and parts of Crystal City. After their initial hesitation, they would simply refuse to take the normal, inner elevators and wait for the outer ones.

The room was equipped with a king bed and ordinary sofa (not a pull out one), which was easy to move against the bed so that our eldest would not fall out. The room was spacious but the bathroom was a bit small.

The pool is not too large but was a perfect size for our young kids. A lifeguard is always present. The hot tub felt nice - it was warm but a bit breezy that day.

The hotel is within walking distance of some very good restaurants (spread out on Crystal Drive) and a few more quaint/ethnic ones along 23 street - 10-15 min walk).

The hotel shuttle starts at 4:40am (not 5am advertised on the hotel's website). This was perfect as we had a 6am flight to catch from Regan Airport, although mind you this airport is not crowded at security lines, so we had time to grab breakfast.

In conclusion, this airport offers luxury (at a price upwards of $250 a night), although one can hunt for deals like the one we got. It is a 10min shuttle drive from the airport. I would definitely stay there again.

649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We get to the hotel and the place was beautiful, very modern. I don’t have much to say about the FDA because they showed little to no hospitality. I find that booking though a 3rd party really puts you on the bottom of this hotels totem pole.

The first room we check in was REALLY DUST, smelled awful and had stains on the floor. The second room was also dust but at this point I was just too exhausted to try a 3rd one. Again, the renovations are wonderful. The bathroom door was my favorite and the comfy but REALLY DUST chair was nice (needless to say, the amount of dust every where even on the glass table was pretty ridiculous).
We called down to ask about the shuttle service was told a number of things. They said they would hold the shuttle for us and when we came down it was GONE and would take 20 mins to return. We ended up taking a taxi. BUT I wish they would have told us how close of a walking distance the metro really was. The accommodations they offered were good but they didn’t come with much ease.

The breakfast buffet was presented well although it didn’t taste great. I got an omelet which had way too much oil and the cheese was not melted. I pretty much picked at what I could. The service there wasn’t too great as well. BUT to make the stay even more annoying you charge $5 BUCKS for water that appeared to be complimentary until I got home and discover a tag in 5 size font that said 5 dollars. Such a misleading way to trick people. I didn’t expect to have to READ the fine print in hotel room after book the room. When you check in the room, everything in it is there for us to use whether soap or shampoo. If I want something like 5 DOLLAR water, I SHOULD CALL AND ORDER IT or pass by a vending machine. I haven’t received my final bill but WILL be contacting you all about this water situation because it’s pretty fraudulent.

I signed up to be a Hyatt golds member because I wanted to try something different than Marriott or Hilton, but I am going to cancel it immediately because I don’t want to stay at a place where I have to be conscious of reading FINE print when I just want to relax and enjoy the amenities.

Again, the renovations are sleek and very modern, but it’s a shame that the service couldn’t have matched the décor. And with a bunch of other hotels side by side, there should be a demand for better service from your employees. All in all-- you all could make my life easier by adjusting my bill accordingly with this water ordeal before having to make s phone call.

Room Tip: I was on the 14th level overlooking the pool as i requested to not have a view of the airport. I wil...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HyattCrystalCity, Manager at Hyatt Regency Crystal City, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. We welcome any and all feedback as this gives us an opportunity to evaluate our current operation. Our sincerest apologies for the cleanliness of your guestroom, we are taking these comments very seriously and are currently addressing the issue with our housekeeping staff. If you would like to discuss the water issue further, please feel free to reach out to us at 703-418-1234. Otherwise, if your travel plans bring you back to the area, please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of any further assistance. Again, thank you for staying with us and providing feedback.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I booked this hotel via Hotels.com for a rate of $79 on the eve of MLK's 50th anniversary for the March on Washington. When I booked the hotel I asked the person at Hotels.com if the hotel was near the metro station - I did not want to waste time traveling to/from the Metro to D.C. They assured me it was just across the street through another building. NOT TRUE. While it is walking distance (about 15 minutes away) I did not want to spend my energy walking to/from there since I was going to be walking all day in the march at Washington D.C.

The Hyatt does offer a shuttle to/from the metro every 15 minutes but as prior reviewers indicated the schedule is unpredictable at best. We waited in the morning for over 20 minutes as not one but two Hyatt shuttles to the airport came through yet nothing for the metro. Another person waiting for us asked the driver to take us to the metro since nobody was waiting for the airport. After much discussion between the driver and multiple Hyatt personnel, they said okay. On the return, we waited nearly 20 minutes then we called the hotel. Nobody picked up - not the operator, not the front desk, not the concierge, NO ONE!!! We called the hotel several times and simply kept getting recordings... The shuttle finally arrived after waiting for a half hour. I would have walked it but I was with my family and we were simply worn out by the end of the day in D.C.

The good thing about the metro stop that the shuttle takes you to is that it is on the Blue Line so it hits the key stops for those visiting D.C. from out of town.

The hotel itself was very nice. Pool is on the third floor, great exercise room right next to it.

Beds in the room were Doubles not Queens so for my family sleeping was a bit exhausting - not enough room in the beds. Also - there were three bath towels in the bathroom for 4 guests. Called in the morning for more towels. After waiting nearly 20 minutes, I called again and was told the request was submitted. The towels arrived about another 10 minutes later.

Not a bad place to stay, just some inconveniences that had they been addressed would make this a perfect place to stay.

Parking - save the $27 dollars the hotel charges for Valet parking and drive right around the corner to a parking garage (self park) that costs half as much.

I do not agree with other comments that the hotel is below par compared with other Hyatt's. I have stayed in lots of Hyatt's as a Gold Preferred Customer and have stayed at some that were terrible - this is not one of those. Nor is it at the top of the line Hyatt's I have stayed at but it very nice.

Room Tip: High up and ask for one with a view.
Greetings njtraveljunkie,

We appreciate you sharing these details about your experience at Hyatt Regency Crystal City. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our shuttle service. We will try to communicate any change in services to our guests more readily. We hope the next time you are in town you will stay with us again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very conveniently located near Metro station for exploring DC. Not many nearby restaurants. Jaleo (tapas) is about a 10 minute walk. There is a free shuttle service to Reagan. The rooms are nice, on par with most 3.5 star hotels. Fitness center/pool were well equipped/clean. Parking was expensive, but street parking is available if you're willing to look around a little. This hotel frequently has discounted rooms (perhaps because it's so big), so for the right price it is a good bargain.

• Stayed March 2013
Woodstock, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We visit the Washington DC area once each year. This past May was our 17th trip. For the past 7-8 years we have stayed at the Hyatt Crystal City in Arlington, VA. We stay there because the rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are large and comfortable, the hotel staff is efficient and friendly, the restaurant has wonderful food and the Hyatt is fairly close to everything. I highly recommend it

• Stayed May 2013
Eagle, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Spent 3 days at a meeting at the Hyatt. The hotel is first class and has wonderful meeting rooms of any size desired. I was especially impressed with the cooperation of the staff. They catered to any thing we wanted to facilitate the meeting. A large screen and Blu-Ray player was quickly made available as was a room of the desired size. In this case capacity 130. Other rooms for meetings ranging from 90 to 600 were utilized. There are large video screens in the major rooms.
The beds were exceptionally clean, however they were too soft for my preference. The rooms have wi-fi available but the charge for utilizing is excessive compared to other hotels of comparable quality.
The one thing that was very impressive was the food in the restaurant/ coffee shop. I usually avoid hotel restaurants but I decided to try this one. I was totally amazed with the service and the food preparation and quality. I did not leave the hotel for any meals. The menu is not large but adequate featuring anything from hamburgers to gourmet Salmon or Halibut.

Room Tip: My room was adequate to excellentA tip check rates and don't hesitate to ask for a better deal...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked this hotel primarily for a job interview in DC and stayed for the weekend. I took advantage of the Stay More Save More summer promo they were running. It was a good value which included 50% off food and parking.
The property has a modern upscale feel about it, and the lobby/reception/atrium area is very inviting. The valet parking staff and bellmen were very cordial and friendly. I LOVED the Lobbibar on the first level much more than the Cinnabar restaurant. It has a relaxed but city vibe about it and great decorations. Most of all I loved Misty, who works in the Lobbibar and gave us excellent service. She is very personable and friendly. The last night I was in the hotel she wasn't working, and I didn't have near as much fun because of that!
The restaurant food is high quality. The server we had the one ocassion we ate in Cinnabar was so-so. He only seemed interested in increasing the amount of the bill.
The room was comfortable and clean. The only thing we noticed about the bathroom is there's nowhere to hang towels/washcloths. The ice machine wasn't working on our floor but I just went up to the next. The shuttle to Crystal City metro was very helpful and efficient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Crystal City? Share your experiences!