“Great stay hampered by metro service” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“Great stay hampered by metro service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I booked this hotel via Hotels.com for a rate of $79 on the eve of MLK's 50th anniversary for the March on Washington. When I booked the hotel I asked the person at Hotels.com if the hotel was near the metro station - I did not want to waste time traveling to/from the Metro to D.C. They assured me it was just across the street through another building. NOT TRUE. While it is walking distance (about 15 minutes away) I did not want to spend my energy walking to/from there since I was going to be walking all day in the march at Washington D.C.

The Hyatt does offer a shuttle to/from the metro every 15 minutes but as prior reviewers indicated the schedule is unpredictable at best. We waited in the morning for over 20 minutes as not one but two Hyatt shuttles to the airport came through yet nothing for the metro. Another person waiting for us asked the driver to take us to the metro since nobody was waiting for the airport. After much discussion between the driver and multiple Hyatt personnel, they said okay. On the return, we waited nearly 20 minutes then we called the hotel. Nobody picked up - not the operator, not the front desk, not the concierge, NO ONE!!! We called the hotel several times and simply kept getting recordings... The shuttle finally arrived after waiting for a half hour. I would have walked it but I was with my family and we were simply worn out by the end of the day in D.C.

The good thing about the metro stop that the shuttle takes you to is that it is on the Blue Line so it hits the key stops for those visiting D.C. from out of town.

The hotel itself was very nice. Pool is on the third floor, great exercise room right next to it.

Beds in the room were Doubles not Queens so for my family sleeping was a bit exhausting - not enough room in the beds. Also - there were three bath towels in the bathroom for 4 guests. Called in the morning for more towels. After waiting nearly 20 minutes, I called again and was told the request was submitted. The towels arrived about another 10 minutes later.

Not a bad place to stay, just some inconveniences that had they been addressed would make this a perfect place to stay.

Parking - save the $27 dollars the hotel charges for Valet parking and drive right around the corner to a parking garage (self park) that costs half as much.

I do not agree with other comments that the hotel is below par compared with other Hyatt's. I have stayed in lots of Hyatt's as a Gold Preferred Customer and have stayed at some that were terrible - this is not one of those. Nor is it at the top of the line Hyatt's I have stayed at but it very nice.

Room Tip: High up and ask for one with a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HyattCrystalCity, Manager at Hyatt Regency Crystal City, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Greetings njtraveljunkie,

We appreciate you sharing these details about your experience at Hyatt Regency Crystal City. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our shuttle service. We will try to communicate any change in services to our guests more readily. We hope the next time you are in town you will stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very conveniently located near Metro station for exploring DC. Not many nearby restaurants. Jaleo (tapas) is about a 10 minute walk. There is a free shuttle service to Reagan. The rooms are nice, on par with most 3.5 star hotels. Fitness center/pool were well equipped/clean. Parking was expensive, but street parking is available if you're willing to look around a little. This hotel frequently has discounted rooms (perhaps because it's so big), so for the right price it is a good bargain.

• Stayed March 2013
Woodstock, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We visit the Washington DC area once each year. This past May was our 17th trip. For the past 7-8 years we have stayed at the Hyatt Crystal City in Arlington, VA. We stay there because the rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are large and comfortable, the hotel staff is efficient and friendly, the restaurant has wonderful food and the Hyatt is fairly close to everything. I highly recommend it

• Stayed May 2013
Eagle, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Spent 3 days at a meeting at the Hyatt. The hotel is first class and has wonderful meeting rooms of any size desired. I was especially impressed with the cooperation of the staff. They catered to any thing we wanted to facilitate the meeting. A large screen and Blu-Ray player was quickly made available as was a room of the desired size. In this case capacity 130. Other rooms for meetings ranging from 90 to 600 were utilized. There are large video screens in the major rooms.
The beds were exceptionally clean, however they were too soft for my preference. The rooms have wi-fi available but the charge for utilizing is excessive compared to other hotels of comparable quality.
The one thing that was very impressive was the food in the restaurant/ coffee shop. I usually avoid hotel restaurants but I decided to try this one. I was totally amazed with the service and the food preparation and quality. I did not leave the hotel for any meals. The menu is not large but adequate featuring anything from hamburgers to gourmet Salmon or Halibut.

Room Tip: My room was adequate to excellentA tip check rates and don't hesitate to ask for a better deal...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked this hotel primarily for a job interview in DC and stayed for the weekend. I took advantage of the Stay More Save More summer promo they were running. It was a good value which included 50% off food and parking.
The property has a modern upscale feel about it, and the lobby/reception/atrium area is very inviting. The valet parking staff and bellmen were very cordial and friendly. I LOVED the Lobbibar on the first level much more than the Cinnabar restaurant. It has a relaxed but city vibe about it and great decorations. Most of all I loved Misty, who works in the Lobbibar and gave us excellent service. She is very personable and friendly. The last night I was in the hotel she wasn't working, and I didn't have near as much fun because of that!
The restaurant food is high quality. The server we had the one ocassion we ate in Cinnabar was so-so. He only seemed interested in increasing the amount of the bill.
The room was comfortable and clean. The only thing we noticed about the bathroom is there's nowhere to hang towels/washcloths. The ice machine wasn't working on our floor but I just went up to the next. The shuttle to Crystal City metro was very helpful and efficient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for a conference. Things were top-notch with a couple of exceptions. With the price of the rooms, Wi-Fi should be free. The staff was wonderful, from the valets to the desk clerks, to the housekeepers. The food left a bit to b desired. I'm sure the meals were chosen by our conference planners but to be blunt, it was awful!!!! The concierge was less than helpful with our requests for dinner ideas. But overall, this hotel was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for an event this weekend. Let me just say I called a girlfriend to tell her how much I loved this hotel. This hotel is beautiful from the lobby all the way to our room which was comfortable, clean, and very sexy. We stayed on the 18th floor and the view was impeccable. Definitely will stay here again and again and again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt Regency Crystal City? Share your experiences!