“Beautiful hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
“Beautiful hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very nice hotel! Beautiful public spaces. Wifi and breakfast are expensive, but ask for the "business deal" which combines the two with daily paper and one pressed shirt - big savings! The shuttle runs to Crystal City metro station where you can find restaurants and shops. It's also a 10 minute walk. There is a Chili's, ABC store, Legal seafood and many other restaurants within a 10 minute walk (Chipotle, Morton's, excellent Tai and Tapas resaurants). Take the Metro to the Pentagon City station for great shopping. There is a Harris Teeter behind the Pentagon City mall. The room had a couch which was nice for chilling in the evening without having to sit on the bed. Our room was by the elevator and ice machine and we still weren't bothered by hallway noise; of course, the season (late Feb) could be the reason - but the hotel seemed to be pretty well occupied. We've stayed here two other times before and have no complaints. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor and for the business plan (combo wifi, breakfast, paper and shirt press)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

691 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
Oswego, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

There's a reason why I titled the review the way I did, but I'll explain that later.

First, the basics. Stayed here this past weekend, February 22-24, on the 9th floor. First time traveling to DC for a conference, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Hotel is located a little bit far back from the parkway, so you do need to navigate a couple side streets to get there. The hotel itself is very nice - upscale, modern, easy on the eyes. The lobby has a lot of modern decor all around the place, and is extremely spacious. Staff at the front desk were very pleasant and willing to help you with whatever you needed, which is a huge plus for me.

The room looked very nice at the start, but as I started to look around a bit more, it could definitely use at least a little touching up. The walls had a couple of stains on them that were cleverly hidden by the placement of the television, and the windows were extremely dirty. Nothing much to look at anyway, just some local skyscrapers and the south end of Reagan Airport. Beds were comfortable, pillows even more so. Probably the best night sleep I've had in quite a while. Bathroom was a little on the small side, but the interesting part is that the door doesn't lock. It's a metal door with frosted glass that latches in place whenever someone goes in. Only problem was that it got stuck more than once; a couple times I needed to drop the shoulder and shove it open to get my friend out.

The conference facilities were okay. The conference area is in the basement of the hotel, with an overflow ceremony/reception room on the level above it. A lot of the rooms I were in seemed like they were just split with dividers, which would have been fine except for the fact that we were cramped like sardines in there. Each lecture I attended had probably 90-100 people per session (it was a BIG conference), and there were only about 60ish seats. Probably could have been planned out a tad better.

There are some places around if you don't want to eat at the hotel restaurant, but they are a little bit of a hike. Not their fault, they were probably there before the stores came to the area. Closest ones are Starbucks, Chipotle, Clark Street Grill, Jimmy John's, and Buffalo Wild Wings.

As far as mass transit goes, it's a little ways away from the closest Metro station, if you actually need to get into the city itself, but the hotel does offer a free shuttle to and from there, so that helps.

My roommates and I visited the restaurant on the second floor the morning we left, just because we were fed up with the breakfast we were being offered on the conference floor, if you'll pardon the pun. It's a nice place, food is alright, but there was a glaring issue that just bothered me beyond belief.

And it wasn't just at the restaurant. It was all over.

The price.

I can't begin to tell you how taken back I was by the price of everything. And I mean EVERYTHING.

The food at the restaurant on the second floor was astronomical. According to a friend of mine, the prices on the rooftop restaurant weren't much lower, if at all. Valet parking at the hotel is three times higher than the self-park around behind the building (which we weren't told about until we got there, so take that as you will.) The business center is paid to operate as well...you get charged for access to the computer in 15-minute increments (I think it's $7.50/15 mins), as well as how many pages you print, and whether or not it's in black or color ink. The wireless internet starts at $10.00 for 24-hour access, and goes up to around $70 for 4-5 days (don't quote me on that, I only looked at it once.)

Here's the best one. The two water bottles under the nightstand?

Yep. Those too.

$5 for a bottle of water. HA.

Bottom line: It is an alright hotel for the DC area, but be prepared to shell out some more dough if you want to explore everything it has to offer.

I don't anticipate being back in DC any time soon, but if I am, and the conference isn't in this building, I don't think I'll be back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room far away from the elevators. A lot quieter than the middle section of the hotel...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is my first time to this hotel and 2nd time to the area. I would stay again, minus the issues. First- not to the hotel's fault, not much around within easy walking distance. 10min walk from the Metro but you can get a shuttle- fine, but adds on time and nothing much around but Mcdonalds, Chili's etc similar. On the hotels side, breakfast was not bad but overly priced, 17.00?. Room was nice, shower was odd and bathroom small. Shower had half a glass door/wall and the rest was open and the water kept pouring onto the floor. The toilet they also replaced with it was like one at a rest stop looking. Couch was nice, desk ok, and TV little small for the room. I had most of my issues because the cleaning staff replaced my towels=- unlike it says on the card, they didnt make my bed for some strange reason, and I left 2 glasses from the bar and they were there but cleaned? maybe?- I dont know. I also had some loose change in a cup and it was missing when I returned to the room. Why you would assume it is a tip? or something, I dont know, luckily I didnt leave any real money out! The worst was I asked if this was normal at the front desk and I was told that maybe she thought it was a tip. Why the front desk would not speak with the staff or offer and try to offer uninformed excuses without an apology, was not helpful to the situation. I would go again if I had to be there but I would consider alternatives if I didnt.

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

If you are in DC for a convention or governmental meeting, chances are you will wind up at the Hyatt Regency at least once. And you will pay handsomely for it.

I get that DC is expensive. And this hotel is no exception. And I get that it is extremely convenient for the DC folks to meet at this hotel, as it is close to Reagan National Airport and a number of governmental agencies. But I always have the feeling in the back of my mind that I am getting raked over the coals when I shell out the money to stay here.

Your room rate includes the room. And that is all. I am surprised that you don't pay extra for sheets and towels, because you do pay extra for internet. Yep, in this day and age, it is about $10 a day for super slow internet. Unless you are in the lobby, or your room is close enough to pick up the lobby internet. And then, the internet kicks you off every 2 hours or so.

You also pay for valet parking - unlike what the website states, there is no self park option. And you will pay for this privilege. The valet parking seems to be for the hotel's ability to make more coin, because a trip around the parking garage shows no shortage of spaces. And the valet parking is slooooooooooow.....Give them 15 minutes - at least.

You can walk to a couple of restaurants from the hotel, so the location is OK for those who use the shuttle. The coffee bar is decent, and reasonably priced, but the restaurant across the street is better by far than the restaurant in the hotel.

Rooms near the elevators are loud - both from revelers getting off the elevator and from the noise the elevator makes.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that I will never be required to go to this hotel again. It's not a miserable experience, but it is annoying because of the cost.

I go here for conferences, and there never seems to be enough bell carts. Hyatt, you may want to invest in a few more of these, or let us self park. If you did that, then I could have brought my stuff straight to my car through the loading dock.

Oh, and Hyatt - get your web check-in stuff straight. It doesn't work. I checked in, and was unable to get the self check in to give me a room key. And I wasn't the only one.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The entire staff couldn't have been more helpful and knowledgeable. We were there with a group of middle school students. Solomon was wonderful!!! He asked every time we saw him if there was anything else he could do for us. The shuttle runs to the metro which is close by and the driver would drop us off for dinner on the way to pick up others. Valet Parking attendants granted our wish of not adjusting the seat and even printed it out on paper and put it on our steering wheel. The entire staff made our stay a wonderful trip!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is a decent place - clean and quiet. Food was great, especially their crab cake sandwich. Their breakfast was good, too. Hotel staff were all very helpful and professional. The hotel has complimentary shuttle services going to Reagan National Airport and Crystal City Metro Station, making my commute very easy.

Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was a great hotel for a conference, close to the airport and plenty of lobby space. Shuttles were available to both the metro and the airports. The rooms were comfortable, with a couch and large enough desk and plenty of outlets. My only complain was the shower, which I think had been recently renovated and the water was often not as hot as I would like. But on the other hand, the service was exemplary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Crystal City? Share your experiences!