“Good for Meetings, Conferences- but not close to Metro” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #24 of 48 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Good for Meetings, Conferences- but not close to Metro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I loved this hotel. I stayed here three nights, and used many of the meeting rooms, as well as the restaurant and bar. Everything was quite clean and well maintained. My guest room was a King-and had a really nice couch, as small movable tables so I could relax with computer facing the TV. Bed was comfortable. And -rare for most hotels but especially on high floors-AMPLE HOT WATER! Plenty of outlets.
There are shuttles-one does a constant route to the airport and another to the Metro. Its not an easy walk to either. But within ten minutes walk down Crystal Drive, there are some nice restaurants. If you are an early riser- there are no coffee pots in the rooms (or frigs, even on request) and the lobby coffee stand does not open until 5:30 and the attendant tends to disappear at times. There is a coffee shop around the corner that opens at 6am.
Easy check in and check out with lobby computers.
I did not visit the fitness center but could look down on the pool from my room- looked quite large for an indoor hotel pool. Although the hotel is very near the airport, I only heard an airplane once.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

713 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Only stayed one night but it was fine. After being given a choice I chose a room on a higher floor and had an interesting view. The fruit bowl was a nice touch and the bar and breakfast room were good. Nothing spectacular about this hotel, but nothing to complain about either!

Room Tip: 15th floor had a good view
Macungie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

The rooms in this hotel are very dark. The lighting is very poor and you can barely see to get ready in the morning. Attended a conference that was held in the basement and it was very dark down there as well. Funny because there are lots of windows and a skylight in the place but the over lighting is very low wattage. On the beight side (ha ha) nice location in Arlington near lots of shops and restaurants. Free shuttle to Metro stop and Airport every 15 minutes.

• Stayed September 2012
Zionsville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Actually, the headline is too generous. The hotel did not just fail to impress. It did not live up to minimums for a 4-star airport hotel. I missed my connection at nearby Reagan airport due to severe weather and booked into the hotel online. That was the only easy part. At 12:30 midnight, with hundreds of people still at the airport coming off delayed flights, the Hyatt's shuttle had stopped running for the night. Facing a taxi wait that would have lasted 2 hours, I had no choice but to rent a car to travel the 2 miles to the Hyatt. Night manager said the hotel never would consider extending its shuttle hours even in a weather emergency. Lesson learned! After an endless checkin procedure I reached room at 1:30a. Called for a toothbrush since I had not packed for overnight trip. Originally told it would be brought up immediately. 20 minutes later, call came telling me it would be another half hour. My question as to whether I could come down to pick it up required 5 minutes on hold to answer. By now 2a. Staff sullen and unhelpful. all this for $220.00. In short, the hotel was much like the government across the river from it: broken, incompetent, and very expensive.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Check in was ok. Recognized Diamond status and was upgraded to one of their suites given how small the regular rooms are. Check-in staff was accomodating, restaurant and housekeeping staff were very unfriendly and had buckets of attitude when we made requests for towels or plates.
Room service brought up foam plates and plastic forks and without a tray when we asked for dinnerware. Housekeeping was annoyed because we dared to ask for a couple more face cloths. Bathroom was not clean - grout looked like it had mildew.
Valets were extremely nice.

Will I stay here again? - not if there were other options available.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
West Bountiful, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt in Crystal City the second week of September with a large national conference. The hotel itself is nice, the meeting rooms were very good, and my actual hotel room was nice. The service was up and down.

Part of the issue is the location, which is not convenient to the Metro. As a result they run a shuttle to the nearest station every fifteen minutes. However, the actual shuttle times are a bit loose and it was not always convenient. One evening on her way to the Metro, my wife asked how late the shuttle ran and was told midnight by the shuttle driver. We later arrived at the station at 10:25pm and waited until almost 11:00 before calling the hotel. The lady who responded was not helpful, explained that my wife had been given bad info, and there was nothing they could do. We called back and spoke to another employee who said they would make an exception and send someone to get us in 5-10 minutes. They came about 20 minutes later. It was not great service.

On another occasion, I accidentally locked myself out of my room and went to get a duplicate key. There were two other guests at the front desk and no employees. We waited 5 minutes or so, and someone came out the back room, did not make eye contact, and proceeded to do some paperwork off to the side of the desk. After another 5-10 minutes he took care of one of the guests. A minute or so later another lady come out and got me a key. A minor thing, but I did not get the impression that guests were a priority.

Finally, the hotel just seemed too lightly staffed for the number of guests. Little things like the number of newspapers available or wait times indicated this. Of the five nights we were there, our room was only really cleaned once - the other times the bed was made and that was all. We had to track down housekeeping to get new toiletries.

All of the employees we interacted with were very nice and helpful - they just felt stretched. All of these things were minor, but it added up to a feeling that we were not a priority and that the hotel was not up to the level of service Hyatt seeks to project.

Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

After being on my feet all day I went to check in to the room which I had reserved through their own website. I was told that they were very sorry, but there were no rooms available. Counting rooms is not rocket science - 1 - 2 - 3 ... You get the picture. They were overbooking, like the airlines, and hoping to have rooms available. This is fraudulent and immoral. The hotel did provide a complementary room at a nearby hotel, but this deprived me of the right to make a second choice of my own. In addition, when I checked in at the alternate hotel I was told that i had been preceded by someone who booked their room at Hyatt 9 months in advance. Nine months! What does that say about how much Hyatt care about your comfort, security or opinion? I was there for a convention, and Hyatt should surely know that people who are planning to attend a specific convention are highly likely to show up. I am really, really, really upset and angry over this callous pursuit of maximum profit at the expense of my trust and comfort. The next time I'm invited to make a reservation at a Hyatt -- I think not.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure of having a room -- look elsewhere.
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Crystal City? Share your experiences!