“One of my favs!” 5 of 5 stars

“One of my favs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011 via mobile

Here's the short of it:
Great Priceline rate.
Great location, near metro stop.
Free on street parking on weekends.
Nice big clean hotel with really nice rooms.
Great service

• Stayed January 2011

705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011 via mobile

Got great deal on Priceline. Free overnight street parking or paid hotel valet.

• Stayed October 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

My school trip to D.C., we spent 2 nights, 3 days at the Hyatt Regency hotel. They had really good service, and NO bed bugs!(: The room was quality, views of Arlington spectacular, and GREAT location. Really enjoyed it. Breakfast food was really bad though. Overall, good hotel!

Room Tip: ALL rooms were great, nice size. Full bed ; double is really nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

As a 25 year hotel/hospitality professional, and as being employed by a Forbes 4 Star Hotel I have much higher expectations when traveling. Realizing that the Hyatt Regency Crystal City is not a 4 Star property, but knowing and having worked for the Hyatt Brand for many years I do expect a bit more when it comes to guest service.

We just checked in, our first experience happened earlier in the day when we called about Spa Services. Because we have been traveling for a number of days from the West Coast we were very interested in arranging massage appointments. The web site indicates that spa services may be made. However when we called we were just plainly told "we don't have a spa". Upon further questioning we were transferred to the concierge-we thought. A gentleman answered the phone simply stating "Valet", when I asked for the concierge he said "what do you need", I asked if there was a concierge on duty, he said again "what do you need". I said "thank you, never mind" and hung up.

When we arrived at the hotel just a few minutes ago the greeting at the entrance was very pleasant, a nice gentleman welcomed us and offered assistance with our luggage which we politely declined. Upon approaching the front desk/reception the clerk without a smile asked if we were checking in. We proceeded to check in and I inquired about an upgrade. He said we have upgrades available but they come at a cost. I asked for an industry "favor" and he said since we are quite busy this evening any upgrades will come at a cost. I asked if they were sold out or just busy and he said we're at 97% right now. Just before assigning a room for us he said we have you on the 6th floor, I can upgrade you to a higher floor if you'd like, we accepted with gratitude. Once in the room we noticed that there was no bathtub, we called the desk to inquire about a room with a bathtub as we are going to be staying 4 nights, they told us that the rooms on the higher floors have bathtubs but they needed to check with a manager. They called back promptly to let us know that if we wanted a bathtub we would have to move to the 4th or 6th floors. Apparently it was too much trouble to put us on a higher floor...or perhaps they are sold out on the higher floors.

When we asked the front desk clerk about spa services he just said "I don't know anything about spa services", not "let me have the concierge call you, or the concierge desk is just over there they would be happy to assist you". The guests checking in behind us were curtly told "we don't guarantee parking in our garage". Look, I'm in the business, I have worked the front desk I know what it is like, and truly I am not a difficult guest but I expect a friendly demeanor, a smile, and at least look or act welcoming you are after all in the hospitality field.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lucedale, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here for our family trip to D.C. It was a good fit for our trip. The hotel is in a safe area. One of our priorities was getting to and from the Metro station. The shuttle ran very consistent for this. We walked to dinner on three different occasions.
Ted's Montana Grill.
Chili's
Portofino's Italian Restaurant

Once again, I always felt safe. Since there were 4 of us, we needed extra towels. I called for this, and they immediately brought them up. I would've liked a small continental breakfast, but we managed. (We actually picked up Dunkin Donuts, which is just inside the Crystal City shops coming out of the Metro station). We saved some money by doing this.

I would've liked to have had free internet. These days, it costs virtually nothing to provide this service. Maybe they'll reconsider this.

On our last day, we had them hold our luggage until later in the afternoon so we could tour the city some more. This was not a problem at all, and worked out great!! I was pleased with this service as well.

Overall, it was good for our family. We would stay in this hotel again, and definitely in this area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

After staying at the Hyatt in Downtown Greenville, we should have known. So really Shame on me! BUT, always wanting to give the benefit of the doubt and having driven for 8+ hours, and having to catch a flight in 6 hours, we checked into the Hyatt. Could it be any worse than the Greenville hotel? YES!
We hadn't made any reservations, so I walked up and asked for prices and availability. She quoted me a price and I said I had forgot to let her know I was a AAA member. The girl, Rosa, must have been in training as she was talking about me being a walk in and wasn't sure what the prices were. I asked if it would be cheaper for me to go outside and call? Annie came out to assist and we got a room booked. Still too expensive, even for the convenience, but it was late and I wasn't going to drive around all night.
We got to our room and at first glance it was ok. The bathroom was very tight, but for overnight it was ok. Then i had to use it. EWWE! It was once again, and this seems to be a Hyatt thing, the door just barley passes the toilet and just about hits the shower. Thats all the room you have, so you have to go in, scooch out of the way to close the door. No room at all! And the doors are frosted glass, which don't offer too much privacy. The lamps they have in the bathrooms were weakly lit and had months worth of dust on them. The paint was peeling and the patch work was awful. The floor wasn't clean and the glasses were sitting out, unwrapped on the counter. The shower head had grunge built up in all the holes and there was hair on the shower floor before we even got in. There isn't room for a shower door, so they didn't put one on.
In the main area of the room, the couch had stains on it, and well as the throw pillows for the bed. The tv remote had built up all sorts of grunge around the buttons and the sprinkler had about half inch of dust growing off it. Once again, the coffee cups, although disposable, were unwrapped and on the counter by the coffee maker.
I don't think I slept much due to not knowing or wanting to know what could be lurking under the sheets. I was totally grossed out by this room, which make it a 2 for 2 with the Hyatt.
The noise in the room is to be expected as you are near the airport, which was the only thing good about the hotel. The proximity to the airport.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Frankfort, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I spent 2 nights at this hotel for meetings in DC. This hotel is close to Rehan National and provides a shuttle to and from the airport. The room was nice size for one person with a nice desk and 2 double beds. It seems weird to me to walk into a room with 2 double beds...are they still used that much? LARGE window overlooking another office building with glimpses of crystal city. I am not sure what else I might have been able to see from my 18th floor window as most of my time in the room it was very low ceiling and rainy.

There is some construction going on at the front door which is a pain as there is only one door working to get everybody in and out of the hotel. During the rush in the morning and afternoon there was a gob of people trying to crowd in one little spot waiting for valet..shuttle...cab...whatever...and it was confusing and the doormen were a bit rude telling everbody to stay in the pile of people.

The shuttle service to the airport seemed to work pretty well and was timed pretty well. The shuttle to/from the metro seemed more hit or miss. I was late for a meeting after waiting 30 minutes for a shuttle that supposedly ran every 15 minutes.

Other than the front door and the shuttle the place was nice. All the staff i encountered were friendly and helpful. Drinks at the bar were DC normal...expensive but not outragous. Breakfast buffett was good but expensive. The AC worked well which is a biggie for me when sleeping. The bedding was great with nice pillows. Nice amenities including toothpaste...which was a first for me.

I would stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Don't trust the metro shuttle times if you are on a time schedule
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Crystal City? Share your experiences!