“Poor value, poor service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City

You added Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2650 Jefferson Davis Highway, US Route 1, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Poor value, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

This hotel is a very poor value--I spent $170/night before taxes for poor service, small guest rooms, and a location a little too far from the Metro to be convenient. But what struck me most and I think this is indicative of the lack of focus on customer service, is that I faced the same problems as previous reviewers faced over the past 4-6 months, exactly the same, there has been no effort to improve.

By that I mean the phone not being answered by the front desk, being given false information, no service response to problems, confusion with the hotel shuttle, and STILL only one elevator functioning to serve the whole hotel. [They were trying to fix a second one while I was there to get it back into service and their equipment set off the fire alarm intermittently for an hour]. I'm not even lazy and don't mind walking up but the first guest room floor is actually the 6th floor--so it is really not an option if you are towards the top (and carrying anything at all).

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2004

I checked in to the hotel after a very long day and drive. Upon entering my room, I noticed that the requested kingsize bed was two doubles. No big deal---I just wanted to get to sleep. Then I noticed that my room did not lock from the outside. Anyone could just open the door from the hallway and walk inside. I called the front desk and waited for someone to answer. No one did. So, I loaded up my luggage and went down to the front desk. Not an easy task as one of three elevators was "out of service" for a 750,000USD elevator renovation. When I explained the situation, the front desk said they would send someone up to fix it. As it I had been awake for nearly 17 hours and would soon be rising to begin another long day at 5:30, I asked if it was possible to move to another room. After some hesitation and a "The hotel is full," I was given a "handicapped room" on the first floor. The "no smoking" room was across from an ice machine that made so much noise when it cycled on that it was audible in the room. The room's heating unit was as loud as the old Boeing 707 turbo jet engines of the 1960s that have since been banned from flying the the U.S. and other civilized countries for their more than considerable contribution to noise pollution. That said, I turned the heating unit off, tucked myself into bed fell fast asleep to the smell of second hand tobacco smoke that I presume circulated through the ventalation system. Since there has got to be a morning after, it was such and came as no surprise when the morning did come and the day began, to get from my floor to the lobby was truly an impossible dream as now one lone, slow (think tortoise) elevator was in service to serve morning peak traffic. After a wait of ten minutes, I hiked with considerable luggage in hand down four flights of stairs to the lobby. (Lucky for me I was on a low floor!) At the front desk, I requested a customer satisfaction survey. A gentlemen behind the counter asked why I wanted the survey; he was none other than the hotel manager, Robert Klein. He went into the back office. I thought he was going to bring me a survey. After waiting several minutes, another gentlement came up and asked if I was being helped. I explained what I wanted....but never got a customer satisfaction survey. Could it be that they already knew what I was going to say?
I could go on to discuss the hotel shuttle, but I won't. But, it, too, was an experience. And I'm not speaking about a good one. If you travel on business, have time deadlines and want a reasonable, nice place to stay that doesn't contribute to and dramatically increase your stress level, don't stay here. It's not worth the price, the hassle or the stress. A night's lodging should not be a challenge from the get go. At the Holiday Inn National Airport, you can undergo a new kind of stress test without ever stepping foot on a cardiac treadmill. Perhaps the joke was one me. Perhaps this hotel is the newest installment of the challenging reality series "Survivor." Whatever you do, don't let this joke be on you!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2004

I would not recommend this hotel for more than one night. We recently stayed here and when we arrived at the room, it was roughly the size of a box with a bed in it. I complained, as the internet pictures on the hotel website show a much larger room with a seating area. We were upgraded to the 11th floor room that looked like the web site pictures. I called down and asked for a crib and it was going to be brought up "right away". 5 hours later, we still had no crib. I called the front desk several times, letting it ring and ring and got no answer. I finally went down to the front desk and waited in a huge line because they only had one person working. I was told they don't answer the phone when they are busy. I was then told the crib was on it's way. 45 minutes later, no crib and no one answering the phone. I went back downstairs, waited in line, and finally 20 minutes later the crib arrived. I might mention that the elevators are possible the slowest in the world...with one out of service for the next six months. There is also no service elevator, so often you couldn't get on when one stopped because the elevator was full of the maid cart, etc.

This hotel is 8 blocks from the Metro stop. The shuttle will take you, but we generally just walked back rather than calling or waiting for one to eventually come by. We did feel safe in the area. If you are spending one night or so on business, the hotel is fine. But if you are spending several nights, I would recommend any of the other hotels in the area that appear bigger, have more shuttles, and much closer proximity to the Metro and Crystal City shopping areas.

Pawleys Island, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2004

We stayed here for four days in June. It's on a busy highway, so I would recommend using the free shuttle to the mall and metro instead of fighting traffic and searching for parking spaces. Very convenient!

The room was a little larger than the normal Holiday Inn room I'm used to, which was nice. Did not like the diner in the hotel, as the service staff was incredibly slow. Took 30 minutes to prepare two sandwiches! Every time we got up to leave, the manager rushed over to offer us a free soup or salad and promised us that our food would be right out. We turned down the soup/salad, but were surprised they charged us full price for the lunch. I would recommend skipping the diner as there are several different restaurants within walking distance, as well as at the Crystal City Mall.

All in all, a good value for the money.

• Stayed June 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2004

I stayed 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Crystal City and found the hotel a little above average. Customer service at the desk was friendly and efficient, although my wife was on hold 5 minutes trying to get connected to my room. The room was a little small, but well furnished and clean. The food in the hotel cafe was very good for the price; the menu items were very good and the breakfast buffet was OK. I used the free shuttle from Regan airport and saved a few dollars on a rental car. There are many food places within 2 blocks.

Overall, a good place to stay at the price.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2003

Due to the cancellation of a United Airlines flight on the afternoon of 7/18, we were lodged at the Holiday Inn - National Airport - Crystal City. Because of United Airlines' unacceptable customer service, I did not arrive at the Holiday Inn until late in the evening. Needless to say, I was tired and frustrated. Upon arriving in my room, I found that the water in the toilet kept running and I was unable to get it to stop. I called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man to fix it.

The maintenance man checked the toilet and told me that he wouldn't be able to fix it and I would have to move to another room. I said ok - I would go to the front desk and get a new key.

This is the special part!!! He said no, he would do it. The maintenance man went to the front desk, had them change my room, brought me the key to the new room and carried my luggage to the new room. I am sure that is not his job - he went above and beyond what was required of him. I was extremely appreciative of the extra service.

Been to Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City? Share your experiences!