I've always wondered what would warrant a hotel to receive less than an average "3" for me and I found it! The bedroom itself was average. Everything was clean, nothing special, just a king sized bed, chair and desk. The issues we had were:
1. The toilet kept clogging up. The first time we thought maybe we used too much toilet paper which isn't normal for us as our home toilet never really clogs up. So we called maintenance, they were prompt and plunged it. That evening, we were being very careful on the amount of toilet paper used. It clogged again. After the second time, it was approximately 11:30 pm and we did not want to disturb anyone. We used the toilet down the hall which was fine. It didn't have a strong suction but still at least flushed. In the morning maintenance came again to unclog it. The toilet still did not have a good suction. It was our last day and didnt want to worry about switching rooms so we stayed. But after the second report we thought the hotel desk would have thought to maybe check for a problem, but whatever. My parents were staying at the Hyatt Regency across the highway and also mentioned having issues with their toilet, so it might just be the sewer line, not sure.
2. The key kept getting demagnetized. I kept my card in a separate pocket in my purse. It was not touching any phones or other cards. When I used the card in the elevator to get to our floor, it worked. When we got to our room it wouldn't work. So we had to go down to get a new one for me. My husband's card was kept in a separate slot in his wallet and didn't work 75% of the time. I have stayed at plenty of hotels with key cards and I have never had cards as sensitive as theirs.
3. The parking situation. When we checked in we received a parking hangar for our car. The lady (AIl I can remember is her name began with an S) did not take any vehicle information from me, just kept the bottom half of a slip and handed me the other with a couple of numbers jotted down and said to hang it on my rear view mirror. So we did just that. The first night we stayed was fine. The second night we received a warning on a car saying we were parked illegally and our car would be towed if found there again. So we looked at the pass and the girl had written the wrong date down, by about 10 days. Which seems strange since she had the reservation right in front of her. So we were in a rush at the hotel and mentioned it to the desk clerk in passing (a female with her name beginning with an H or M, can't remember) and she said it wasn't a big deal, just write in the date. My brother was also with us and she took all of his vehicle information, contrary to my check in process. So after returning later that evening with more time we spoke to a man claiming to be the manager and said it was a huge deal and the company that tows the vehicles does not consult with the hotel before towing vehicles. The hotel has no organization with their parking. Why take vehicle information for parking verification if the towing company won't verify anyways? Clearly the hotel procedures are not stardarized across their desk clerks. So the manager wrote a new parking pass and we didn't have any problems the next night.
4. We went down for some appetizers at the pub our first night there around 10:30. No one met us at the door, the bartender glanced by us and didn't say anything so we took a seat near the bar at the high top table. It took 12 minutes for someone to help us. We were in the bartender's area but another waitress trying to leave for the evening had to come over and help us because the bartender was too busy chatting it up with her friends to take our order. The waitress was nice and came back promptly. It was after our drinks came and we put in our order that the ever so observant bartender shouted over asking if we had been helped. Fail.
This was our experience. When returning, we will be choosing a different hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Nation's Capitol and the Holiday Inn National Airport, the best hotel in Arlington Virginia! This full service Crystal City hotel is located minutes from Ronald Reagan National Airport, the Pentagon, and 23rd Street restaurant row. Take advantage of our free wireless high-speed Internet. For government, contract and military travelers, the Holiday Inn offers a unique per diem package, the best of any Arlington hotel. This includes a full hot breakfast in our restaurant and unlimited local phone calls.Our hotel is also a great business location, convenient to many Northern Virginia companies, including IBM, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, EPA, Raytheon, USPTO and Navy Elite. We offer the amenities and meeting room services a business traveler needs for a productive visit. Our Arlington hotel offers accommodations that are great for vacations too! The monuments, museums and attractions in Washington, DC and historic Old Town Alexandria are easily accessible by Metro or car. Shop at the Pentagon City Mall and Fashion Centre Mall. Enjoy O Malley s Sports Pub where Kids Eat Free! We offer free high-speed Internet in our guest rooms and wireless Internet in our public areas. Our finest attribute is our professional and friendly staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, IHG, Odigeo, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City Hotel Arlington
- Holiday Inn Crystal City
- Holiday Inn Arlington
- Arlington Holiday Inn