“Older hotel but good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2650 Jefferson Davis Highway, US Route 1, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Older hotel but good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

One of the better priced hotels in Crystal City. Rooms were small and definitely older. Bathrooms were small with poor lighting but bedding was comfortable. Staff were friendly. No complimentary breakfast. I would recommend staying at a newer hotel in the area.
Tip: avoid paying hotel parking ($15/nt) by finding street parking (meters) behind the hotel (enforcement begins at 8am though!).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HINationalAirport, General Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dreese1,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn National Airport Hotel as your hotel while visiting the Washington, DC area. The Holiday Inn National is a mid-market hotel that offers travelers a value price for a clean and relaxing hotel stay. We are not the newest hotel in the market, but the ownership of the hotel is constantly undertaking renovations to make sure we provide a clean crisp hotel where everything works. In 2014, property improvement plans will include renovations to guestrooms and Food & Beverage outlets; which will add core value to our hotel amenities and the hotel in general.

We look forward to you coming back and staying at Holiday Inn National in the near future to experience and see the newly renovated area of the hotel.

Yours in hospitality,

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our stay at the hotel began with an awesome front desk check-in who gave us information about the hotel itself, but also about their services and how to get around the city. Two of the 5 rooms wehad booked were not ready when we arived at 1:30, but a quick call to a very responsive housekeeping supervisor & we were able to get those rooms in less than an hour and despite check-in not officially occurring until 4pm. The shuttle services were outstanding and the drivers were prompt informative and courteous. The rooms were clean ( you could tell from the smell that cleaning supplies had been used) The beds were comfortable with lots of pillows which was nice.
The only reason I did not give a 5th star is that, I would have like a continental breakfast of some scale. Other than that this was the best hotel I have ever been to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HINationalAirport, General Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
T L,

I appreciate you ranking the Holiday Inn National a 4 star for the products and service we proudly provide to our hotel guests. From reading your comments, it seems you had a wonderful stay and you enjoyed the service that you received from the hotel staff. I am glad the team members played a role in making your stay an enjoyable one.
Thank you for your business and I hope you will consider staying at Holiday Inn National again in the near future.

Best wishes,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This property is a bit worn around the edges but the courtesy of the staff exceeded expectations and the location and price made my stay well worth it. Also liked the gym. McDonald's is right next door as well.

Southeastern U.S.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a Holiday Inn that does a good job of meeting the standards that you expect in HI rooms, facilities and comfort. There are several things that set this Holiday apart, based on my experience of staying for six nights on a combination business/pleasure trip. First and foremost was the timeliness and courtesy of the shuttle that picked me up from the airport. I did not actually time it, but was expecting fifteen minutes or more after my call. I was extremely surprised when they arrived in around five minutes, just to accommodate me. And the trip to the hotel was quick, with check-in also courteous and easy. The shuttle was also very accommodating for individuals with needs to get to the nearby metro and/or airport. The walk to the Crystal City Metro is a very pleasant on if the weather is nice. Just a few blocks away from the hotel (at the intersection of S Eads Street and 23rd) is a great area known as “Restaurant Row.” Here you can find everything from American Bar & Grill fare, to Thai, Afghani, Ethiopian, Italian, Mexican, Chinese and more. Many people may stay here to visit DC, but also check out the events in Crystal City at http://www.crystalcity.org/events . I was headed into DC on a Sunday afternoon and heard some music and followed my ears to a great event called “Sip & Salsa” that was really awesome. If you are commuting to DC, keep in mind that you may need to add a few minutes to your commute. But from my experience, I found that the cost savings over DC prices for lodging and food was worth it. The hotel has its own diner and also an Irish Pub. I used the gym while there and found it adequate for my needs (including some free weights.) If you enjoy sunsets, ask if you can get a room on the 11th floor overlooking Eads St. There is a pretty park to the South that is good for jogging. If you want to get a glimpse of the “Restaurant Row” area at 23rd, walk to the opposite end of the hallway on the top floor and look out from the hallway window. You can see the small area several blocks away with colorful buildings. I normally book my lodging in DC through an online discounter, but I hope to have future stays at this location.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed a top floor room overlooking Eads Street for nice sunsets (and very quiet.)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The location was very close and convenient to the airport which was the main reason we were staying there. The staff was helpful and the room s were clean. No major problems except the small pillows. There were only 4 small square pillows on the bed. We had to ask for 4 more pillows and the main guy said that we were not the only ones mentioning that. Oh well....

As I said, great place, nice location, even a cool little sports bar/pub downstairs. Just the real small pillows.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HINationalAirport, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Mark S.,

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel, we know your time is valuable! Our owners and I have been in discussion over the pillows and agree with your comment 100%. On Monday September 23rd we received brand new pillows for all 280 guest rooms in the hotel. I assure you, you will love the large queen and king sized pillows we now have on our beds!
Hurry back and check out our new pillows!

Yours in hospitality,
Ken Abrom
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I flew into Ronald Reagan (< 1 mile away) for a meeting at the White House (< 4 miles away). Holiday Inn isn't my first brand choice, but it was dirt cheap, and the other brands were astronomical. So, I booked it.

Called the hotel from the airport for the free on-demand shuttle. It was there in around 5 minutes.

Check in was quick and easy. Staff was helpful in answering questions (though when they said it would take about 45 minutes to get a cab, I checked out Uber... a Town Car that cost me less than a taxi would have was actually there in less than 5 minutes).

The room was fine. It was clean, and the bed was good. There was plenty of hot water. Some of the best wireless internet (free) coverage I've ever had in a hotel. Air conditioning worked well. TV was good, and had a good selection of channels. Elevator required key card to get to guest room floors (a dirt cheap security feature more hotels ought to consider). The on-site bar and restaurant seem good, and are open relatively early and relatively late. Staff was very helpful. It's clearly not a new hotel, but it's reasonably maintained, and at least as good as you have a right to expect for the money.

Location cannot be beat... while I'm sure this varies a lot with traffic, it took me less than 10 minutes to get to/from he airport, and less than 15 minutes to get to/from the heart of downtown.

A couple of things I didn't like: there was no way to set A/C fan to "on" (as opposed to automatic), thereby using it to mask the noise. When the A/C was off, you could hear the icemaker four rooms down. MUCH quieter than I expected an airport hotel to be, but still could have used the A/C fan for white noise. And, they use scented detergent, which makes the sheets/towels challenging for those of us with allergies (far more folks than many hoteliers think). Wish they'd join the unscented detergent movement. And, while it's a bit much to ask of a hotel at this price range, sure wish hotels (especially ones that have a restaurant, and therefore a dishwasher, anyway) would consider glass glasses and ceramic cups.

As noted, while it neither is nor claims to be a luxury hotel, it was just fine, and for the price, its location makes it very tough to beat.

Green Features: This really does NOT factor into my choice of a hotel. However, in addition to all the normal stuff that saves hotels money (i.e. not washing towels unless specifically asked to do so) they did have a recycling bin in the room.
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It has been two years since I stayed here and the hotel is still run well. The staff are very attentive. The hotel rooms are on the small side but clean and adequate. The location is very good with quite a few restaurants within 1/2 mile walk. It has a free shuttle to and from National airport and if you want the shuttle will drop you at local restaurants in the area. The Metro stop is about two blocks walk and I use it when in DC area. Just get a Metro card over the internet and refill the amounts at the station. They have a pub on premises which is very nice to grab a pint.

Room Tip: Rooms away from HWY are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City? Share your experiences!