“Friendliest Hotel Ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2650 Jefferson Davis Highway, US Route 1, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Hampton, Virginia
“Friendliest Hotel Ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our stay at the hotel began with an awesome front desk check-in who gave us information about the hotel itself, but also about their services and how to get around the city. Two of the 5 rooms wehad booked were not ready when we arived at 1:30, but a quick call to a very responsive housekeeping supervisor & we were able to get those rooms in less than an hour and despite check-in not officially occurring until 4pm. The shuttle services were outstanding and the drivers were prompt informative and courteous. The rooms were clean ( you could tell from the smell that cleaning supplies had been used) The beds were comfortable with lots of pillows which was nice.
The only reason I did not give a 5th star is that, I would have like a continental breakfast of some scale. Other than that this was the best hotel I have ever been to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HINationalAirport, General Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
T L,

I appreciate you ranking the Holiday Inn National a 4 star for the products and service we proudly provide to our hotel guests. From reading your comments, it seems you had a wonderful stay and you enjoyed the service that you received from the hotel staff. I am glad the team members played a role in making your stay an enjoyable one.
Thank you for your business and I hope you will consider staying at Holiday Inn National again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This property is a bit worn around the edges but the courtesy of the staff exceeded expectations and the location and price made my stay well worth it. Also liked the gym. McDonald's is right next door as well.

Southeastern U.S.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a Holiday Inn that does a good job of meeting the standards that you expect in HI rooms, facilities and comfort. There are several things that set this Holiday apart, based on my experience of staying for six nights on a combination business/pleasure trip. First and foremost was the timeliness and courtesy of the shuttle that picked me up from the airport. I did not actually time it, but was expecting fifteen minutes or more after my call. I was extremely surprised when they arrived in around five minutes, just to accommodate me. And the trip to the hotel was quick, with check-in also courteous and easy. The shuttle was also very accommodating for individuals with needs to get to the nearby metro and/or airport. The walk to the Crystal City Metro is a very pleasant on if the weather is nice. Just a few blocks away from the hotel (at the intersection of S Eads Street and 23rd) is a great area known as “Restaurant Row.” Here you can find everything from American Bar & Grill fare, to Thai, Afghani, Ethiopian, Italian, Mexican, Chinese and more. Many people may stay here to visit DC, but also check out the events in Crystal City at http://www.crystalcity.org/events . I was headed into DC on a Sunday afternoon and heard some music and followed my ears to a great event called “Sip & Salsa” that was really awesome. If you are commuting to DC, keep in mind that you may need to add a few minutes to your commute. But from my experience, I found that the cost savings over DC prices for lodging and food was worth it. The hotel has its own diner and also an Irish Pub. I used the gym while there and found it adequate for my needs (including some free weights.) If you enjoy sunsets, ask if you can get a room on the 11th floor overlooking Eads St. There is a pretty park to the South that is good for jogging. If you want to get a glimpse of the “Restaurant Row” area at 23rd, walk to the opposite end of the hallway on the top floor and look out from the hallway window. You can see the small area several blocks away with colorful buildings. I normally book my lodging in DC through an online discounter, but I hope to have future stays at this location.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed a top floor room overlooking Eads Street for nice sunsets (and very quiet.)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The location was very close and convenient to the airport which was the main reason we were staying there. The staff was helpful and the room s were clean. No major problems except the small pillows. There were only 4 small square pillows on the bed. We had to ask for 4 more pillows and the main guy said that we were not the only ones mentioning that. Oh well....

As I said, great place, nice location, even a cool little sports bar/pub downstairs. Just the real small pillows.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HINationalAirport, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Mark S.,

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel, we know your time is valuable! Our owners and I have been in discussion over the pillows and agree with your comment 100%. On Monday September 23rd we received brand new pillows for all 280 guest rooms in the hotel. I assure you, you will love the large queen and king sized pillows we now have on our beds!
Hurry back and check out our new pillows!

Yours in hospitality,
Ken Abrom
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I flew into Ronald Reagan (< 1 mile away) for a meeting at the White House (< 4 miles away). Holiday Inn isn't my first brand choice, but it was dirt cheap, and the other brands were astronomical. So, I booked it.

Called the hotel from the airport for the free on-demand shuttle. It was there in around 5 minutes.

Check in was quick and easy. Staff was helpful in answering questions (though when they said it would take about 45 minutes to get a cab, I checked out Uber... a Town Car that cost me less than a taxi would have was actually there in less than 5 minutes).

The room was fine. It was clean, and the bed was good. There was plenty of hot water. Some of the best wireless internet (free) coverage I've ever had in a hotel. Air conditioning worked well. TV was good, and had a good selection of channels. Elevator required key card to get to guest room floors (a dirt cheap security feature more hotels ought to consider). The on-site bar and restaurant seem good, and are open relatively early and relatively late. Staff was very helpful. It's clearly not a new hotel, but it's reasonably maintained, and at least as good as you have a right to expect for the money.

Location cannot be beat... while I'm sure this varies a lot with traffic, it took me less than 10 minutes to get to/from he airport, and less than 15 minutes to get to/from the heart of downtown.

A couple of things I didn't like: there was no way to set A/C fan to "on" (as opposed to automatic), thereby using it to mask the noise. When the A/C was off, you could hear the icemaker four rooms down. MUCH quieter than I expected an airport hotel to be, but still could have used the A/C fan for white noise. And, they use scented detergent, which makes the sheets/towels challenging for those of us with allergies (far more folks than many hoteliers think). Wish they'd join the unscented detergent movement. And, while it's a bit much to ask of a hotel at this price range, sure wish hotels (especially ones that have a restaurant, and therefore a dishwasher, anyway) would consider glass glasses and ceramic cups.

As noted, while it neither is nor claims to be a luxury hotel, it was just fine, and for the price, its location makes it very tough to beat.

Green Features: This really does NOT factor into my choice of a hotel. However, in addition to all the normal stuff that saves hotels money (i.e. not washing towels unless specifically asked to do so) they did have a recycling bin in the room.
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It has been two years since I stayed here and the hotel is still run well. The staff are very attentive. The hotel rooms are on the small side but clean and adequate. The location is very good with quite a few restaurants within 1/2 mile walk. It has a free shuttle to and from National airport and if you want the shuttle will drop you at local restaurants in the area. The Metro stop is about two blocks walk and I use it when in DC area. Just get a Metro card over the internet and refill the amounts at the station. They have a pub on premises which is very nice to grab a pint.

Room Tip: Rooms away from HWY are quieter.
Adams, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

For business my husband loves this hotel. Great , friendly staff including in the restaurant. It provides him with everything he needs to conduct his business. This was the first time I accompanied him to this hotel. Found it very comfortable & located better for getting to 23rd street where all the restaurants are. The shuttle , was the first shuttle I have taken where I did not feel like I was putting them out of their way. They were very pleasant & helpful. The metro is about 8 blocks away but it is walkable either on the street or through the underground. Of course you will have to know where to get to the underground ; which took me a couple of times to find.
My only contrary opinions are as follows. There is no place to sit outside to relax & read. The lobby is not really that large & is not where I would feel comfortable sitting for an hour or so.
The pillows on the beds are square shaped which I did not find that comfortable. The room is pleasant but the bathtub area is showing wear. The sink & toilet area are updated even though they are in the same room as the tub. This hotel is worth the money. No major complaints.

Room Tip: I always need a refrigerator for water & drinks etc. Ask.
Green Features: Excellent. First one I've been to that provides separate trash container in your room for recycling.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HINationalAirport, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Girlyouk,

It's great to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn National, and that you both recieved execellent guest service from our staff. The location of the Holiday Inn National is very convenient to both the Ronald Reagan National Airport and Crystal City metro station for our hotel guests. The hotel is in the process of getting brand new pillows in all the guest rooms, as well. Our owners have drawn up renovation plans for the hotel lobby area in the up coming months, we are very excited to see it's completion! Myself and the entire team at Holiday Inn National appreciate you and your husband being loyal guests and we look forward to your return real soon.

Yours in hospitality,
Ken Abrom
Hotel Manager

Been to Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City? Share your experiences!