Usually you get what you pay for. We didn't pay much, but we got an awful lot for our money.
My husband and I stayed here for four days as tourists.
First, the positives:
The price. The price. The price. I think we stayed for less than $100 per night, which in D.C. is unheard of.
It was clean and comfortable. If you're looking for pampering, this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking for a clean and comfortable bed with easy access to all D.C. has to offer at a reasonable price, you'll be hard pressed to find a better hotel.
There are two areas nearby with lots of shops and restaurants. It was very convenient. There's even a CVS next door.
Weekday service: The weekday staff allowed us to check in early, which we greatly appreciated. Our flight arrived shortly after 11 a.m. and check-in time was after 4 p.m. Being able to freshen up before hitting the town was a wonderful plus. They also allowed us to check out a few hours late, and the weekday shuttle driver was always available to answer questions and offering us rides to the metro station or the airport.
The service on the weekend left a lot to be desired. After check-out, the desk told us we could leave our bags in a closet until it was time for us to head to the airport. Unfortunately, whoever was taking bags disappeared. We sat in the lobby waiting assistance (after asking at the desk) for a half hour. When we finally inquired a second time, she sent the porter up to some other rooms to get bags before directing him to unlock the closet. Again, we'd been patiently waiting for more than a half hour.
They say the shuttle runs to the airport every 15 minutes, but the weekend driver seemed none too interested in taking people to National. Along with four other passengers, we waited in the van for a half hour before the shuttle driver returned to take us to the airport. I suspect we might still be sitting there had one of the other passengers not gotten out of the van and inquired a second time at the front desk.
It was super, extra bad service from the weekend staff.
This hotel is quite a walk to the metro station. I'm guessing it's a good eight blocks. Under normal conditions, that's not a bad walk, but as tourists, you'll be walking a ton and those extra 16 blocks a day were brutal after the second day!
We learned that the shuttle driver would drop us at the metro when they had time, and the last day we were there, we took advantage of the service.
Bottom line: I wasn't expecting a whole lot, because the price was so good. But the hotel far exceeded my expectations.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City Hotel Arlington
- Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City Hotel
- Holiday Inn Crystal City
- Holiday Inn Arlington
- Arlington Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Nation's Capitol and the Holiday Inn National Airport, the best hotel in Arlington Virginia! This full service Crystal City hotel is located minutes from Ronald Reagan National Airport, the Pentagon, and 23rd Street restaurant row. Take advantage of our free wireless high-speed Internet. For government, contract and military travelers, the Holiday Inn offers a unique per diem package, the best of any Arlington hotel. This includes a full hot breakfast in our restaurant and unlimited local phone calls.Our hotel is also a great business location, convenient to many Northern Virginia companies, including IBM, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, EPA, Raytheon, USPTO and Navy Elite. We offer the amenities and meeting room services a business traveler needs for a productive visit. Our Arlington hotel offers accommodations that are great for vacations too! The monuments, museums and attractions in Washington, DC and historic Old Town Alexandria are easily accessible by Metro or car. Shop at the Pentagon City Mall and Fashion Centre Mall. Enjoy O Malley s Sports Pub and The National Diner where Kids Eat Free! We offer free high-speed Internet in our guest rooms and wireless Internet in our public areas. Our finest attribute is our professional and friendly staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.