“Mixed bag” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2650 Jefferson Davis Highway, US Route 1, Arlington, VA 22202   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, TX
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The staff here is trying really hard. They do a lot of things right. In some ways, this is indistinguishable from a Courtyard, or a standard business hotel, but there are a few misses.

The Pros: Nice, responsive staff. Pleasant facility. Good wireless internet. Spotless room. Well appointed. Up to date decor. Granite in the bath, nice bed linens, etc.

The Cons: A lack of certain basic things I have grown to expect in a business hotel. No conditioner in the bathroom. No complimentary coffee in the morning. The service at the restaurant is slow and the food is very average. I should have been suspicious when the hotel was packed, but the restaurant was nearly empty. McDonalds is steps away, so it's probably a better place for breakfast. It is a long walk to the nearest metro. There is a complimentary shuttle, but it's weird to wait ten minutes for a ten minute ride to avoid a fifteen minute walk. A few additional amenities in this hotel would go a long way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HINationalAirport, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Hotel Guest,

According to your comments it seems you had an average stay at the hotel. Both the guest services manager and the food and beverage director are reviewing your comments you made to improve the amenities we currently put in our guest rooms. Your comments were also shared to help constantly improve the operations and food quality of the National Diner. I hope you will come back and stay at the Holiday Inn National in the future, and give my team another opportunity to deliver the level of guest service you expect when staying at Holiday Inn hotel.

Thanks for sharing your guest experince with the team at the Holiday Inn National Airport Hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
White Stone, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Arrived Wednesday, March 6th Purpose: to spend the night before an early 6am flight from Reagan National, and a place to leave the car for the week we are gone. Cost: $169. The check in was uneventful. The hotel airport shuttle didn't start operation until 6am, but they said that we could take a taxi and they would reimburse the fare upon our return. There was some confusion over booking a cab to pick us up at 4am; our check-in agent had tried calling the cab company and was told that we would have to call in the morning to get a cab. Later I asked another desk clerk if he could book us a cab for 4am and he said “No problem, it's done.” Sure enough the cab was there for us at 3:55am.

The room we had, 4327, was located just off the elevator and was a bit noisy when late night people got off and were talking. The room itself was very small and unassuming. Our window looked out over an empty pool and an Arlington neighborhood. Bathroom was tiny, but clean. All in all I figured the price we were paying was mostly for the permission to park, as the room certainly was not worth $169. No refrigerator, no microwave. There was a coffee maker with coffee and teas and Styrofoam coffee cups. A 42” flat screen TV that kept jumping back to a station I didn't want to watch. Have no idea why, maybe it was something I was doing (??), but I was only trying to catch the morning weather so I didn't need or really want to watch TV so I just turned it off.

The worst part of the hotel experience was trying to print our boarding pass at the computer room downstairs. There were two screens and two printers. One printer was out of order. When you started the computer a clock came up saying you had x amount of time before your session ended. The first time we connected we only had 4 minutes in the session. The internet connection was so slow we ran out of time and were disconnected before we even got to the airline site. We reconnected and this time it started counting down from 20 minutes. Again it was so slow that we didn't have time to enter all of our information before we timed out. A third try took us all the way down to under 2 minutes before we managed to print two boarding passes. It ended up taking us about 45 minutes to get our passes and was a very frustrating experience. The free wifi in the rooms worked fine, but of course didn't access a printer.

O'Malleys Pub on the lobby level opened at 4pm and had a 2 for 1 appetizer special that night and we had a couple of cocktails and a bite to eat, nothing fancy but fine, and the service was pleasant.

The best part of the hotel experience was the shuttle driver, John, who when we asked directions to walk to Legal Seafood for dinner promptly offered to drive us in the van. It was a short ride, and after dinner only took him 5 minutes to get back to pick us up.

Upon our return the shuttle was available and took about 20 minutes to pick us up. The front desk reimbursed our $6 taxi ride. Our car was undisturbed and had been well protected from the weather.

Notes: The parking garage is limited to vehicles under 6 feet. Our friend with a large pick up truck was directed to park in the 20 minute zone in front of the hotel for the week. They seemed to be used to having to do that. All other parking was covered.

Room Tip: 4327 was right around the corner from the elevator late night guests sounded as if they were in your...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HINationalAirport, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Hotel Guest,

After reading your comments, it's very disappointing to know that you left the Holiday Inn National Airport an unhappy guest.

My sincere apology to you and your family regarding your hotel stay. The comments you shared in the survey was addressed with each department manager regarding the issues you had during your stay.

As the hotel manager it's my responsiblity to ensure my team takes care of our guests and that they leave the hotel satisfied. If you decide to return back to the Washington, DC area in the near future and stay at Holiday Inn National Airport, please contact me directly at 703-684-7200.
Safe travels!

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I spent one night at this hotel for work travel. Overall it was fine -- not great and not poor. The front desk clerk was very personable. Unfortunately my room key didn't code so I lugged my luggage to the 8th floor, back to the desk and back to the 8th floor. Then the lock malfunctioned several times before it stopped sticking. So not a good start. The room was small but nice. No issues there except for the tiny pillows all Holiday Inns have these days. I slept well. The lobby was lovely and bright but the hallway to the room was somewhat dark. The elevators are quite slow, the buttons confusing and signage between the parking lot and lobby not clear. The good news is that parking is super cheap for DC. I didn't eat there so can't speak for the restaurant. Overall it was fine for an overnight but there are better options close by if you're staying a few days or on vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear JLB_miles_to_go,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A lot of good things to say about this place. Updated rooms, convenient location, quick airport shuttle, friendly staff, enough elevators to service all the guests... Overall a very good experience. The only constructive criticism I would add, is to add safes to each room - and - for the attached "diner" to offer some more classic diner dishes (meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc). The diner is more of a burger joint. Would certainly stay again.

Okinawa-shi, Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel before our early morning flight out of Reagan. It was a little tricky to find the entrance when driving in, but a short drive to the airport. The location was convenient to nearby restaurants. We used the free shuttle to visit the museums. The staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I spent the night here before my early morning flight. There are frequent shuttles to the airport helping to save time. Everything was as expected with no complaints. There is a bar and restaurant, but I elected to walk to 23rd St. to sample one of the local restaurants.

The hotel has a parking garage where I parked my car, for a fee, for the duration of my trip. Upon my return I called the hotel and within a 20 minutes the shuttle arrived.

I enjoyed my stay and would do it again.

Room Tip: The 11th floor was great, no noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Upon my arrival, a wedding was taking place, Parking was just horrible. I was driving in my for about 20 min. People under the parking deck were going the wrong way, It wasn't the best experience. Once I arrived inside the staff was very friendly and I was in my room in less then 5 min. I was very pleased about the speedy check in. I was leary about going back out because I was afraid I would lose my parking spot and it cost $16 a day to park and mind you, its not valet parking, its self parking for $16 a day. So I wasn't too happy with that.

Other then that, the room was very nice and clean, the bed was really comfortable and I slept like a baby, but was happy to leave because of all the traffic and congestion in the area.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor, Street view. It was ok
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HINationalAirport, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

As the Hotel Manager, I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you regarding the parking situation at the hotel during a wedding we held at the property. We do try to accommodate as many people as possible, especially in the situations we have when hosting a wedding. Please don't hesitate to let us know the next time you are in the area, we'd love to have you again!

Hotel Manager

Been to Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City? Share your experiences!