“Me Gusta” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Harrison Township, Michigan, USA
“Me Gusta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Great dive bar atmosphere in the bar! Just my style, no annoying crowds. nice Yuengling drafts and great music. Just the right mix of weirdos and seemingly normal people. I would return to this destination.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This property is acceptable but unremarkable. The rooms are clean and comfortable and, at the right price, an excellent value. The hotel is located at the northern end of the Crystal City mall with no direct access to the covered underground mall, meaning an umbrella can be an important asset in an otherwise very well connected and protected urban environment. Inconsistencies with other Crowne Plaza branded properties are minor but frustrating. No in-room video check out, no complimentary breakfast on the “club” floor, which seems to have no differentiation I could detect from any other guest floor. Shuttle bus service to the airport is inconsistent. At certain times of the day it runs on a schedule and at others it needs to be requested. Early morning departures were from a lobby where it took several bell rings to obtain front desk service, which was curt and not particularly hospitable. As a place to sleep, this hotel is fine, but attention needs to be paid to the details of the brand promise and hospitality expectations of guests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear WARSAWRUN:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear you found our rooms clean and comfortable. However we are sorry to hear you were not entirely pleased with your stay.

I do want to mention that during business hours, we do have direct access to the Crystal City shops by simply entering the building next door, reachable by just crossing our (covered) driveway. We are sorry you did not find this access available to you while staying with us.
I will certainly mention the inconsistencies you found with our property to our management. We certainly want to stand out amongst Crowne Plaza hotels, but not for the reasons you mention.

We do hope you will give our property a second change to impress you. If you would like any assistance setting up a future reservation, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at (703) 416-7200 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Best,

Libby Vertz
Guest Relations
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Very nice looking and great and friendly staff. Microwave in the lobby. Small gym but within walking distance to major transportation and shops as well as restaurants. Great location but you do need to take a bus, train or bike to the major monuments. Not more than 20 minutes by subway. Very clean and five minutes from DCA

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a family trip. I guess I didn't realize just how far things were from this hotel when I booked, but the staff was more than helpful with a shuttle or help calling a taxi. The rooms were a little small, and honestly double beds are just plain silly. Queen sized beds are a little more modern and comfortable size wise.
If I'm ever back in this area, I will definitely look into this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014
Bayside, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Just in DC for a quick overnight. Parked across the street, free after 4pm and on weekends. Hotel is near the metro and convenient to all. Across the street from Crystal City, over 100 stores and restaurants, perfect to walk around on a rainy day. Minutes from the airport and the rooms were nice, semi-modern. No complaints and will definitely go back !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Arad, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were unexpectedly layovered due to bad weather and airport closure. We received stranded traveler vouchers for this hotel. We waited a very long time for the shuttle but once we arrived at the hotel which was very close by everything was better than expected. Room was lovely with lots of amenities. Location was perfect with lots of nearby restaurantsand bars in a lovely area for walking around. Voucher made the price affordable. In hotel Starbucks opened very early so we could catch a light breakfast before catching an early flight. If you have to be stuck this is the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

When I visit Washington, DC to attend training classes at the USDA Graduate School, I usually stay at the Holiday Inn right across the street from the school. This time, unfortunately, the Holiday Inn was booked solid, and the reservations clerk found me a room at the Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport. One of the nice features is that they offer free shuttle service from Reagan National Airport (DCA) to the hotel. What they don't bother to tell you is that you need to call the hotel from the airport and request the shuttle. If you don't, and you get on the shuttle van labeled with the Crowne Plaza Hotel, and even after asking the driver if this shuttle will take you to the Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, then you get a nice ride to the wrong Crowne Plaza Hotel, and then you get to cool your heel in the lobby until the shuttle van is ready to make their next scheduled run to the airport. The (correct) Crowne Plaza is certainly very clean, and the staff are friendly, but there are little quirky things that made my visit feel almost like a visit to Grandma's home...a poor, sweet, Grandma that is slipping towards senility, that is. For instance, the stopper in my bathroom sink didn't seem to function well, Upon inspection, I found that it wasn't attached to any hardware on the sink, and was merely laying at the bottom of the sink. The proper hardware wasn't in site, or I would have just fixed it myself. I instantly thought of those old rubber sink stoppers with the chain, and would have actually preferred one of those - especially when trying to shave. As I was exhausted from my flight, I decided to splurge and order room service. The room service menu was adequate, and the prices seemed fair - even for room service. I ordered the half pound of fried shrimp. What I received were about a half a dozen, very heavily breaded shrimp. They were edible, but the breading was so thick and heavy - it was almost as if they were dressing them for a journey outside the hotel. This should have served as an omen, but everyone has an off day, and so the next morning, I decided to try their breakfast buffet. Watery scrambled eggs and bad tasting coffee at $16.00 meant I spent the rest of my week eating bagels from the food carts. Housekeeping I think is where Granny also spent a lot of her time as the giant "show" pillow and the coverlet at the foot of the bed found a new location every day. Some days they were on top of the desk, next day on top of the entertainment center - they were never both back on my bed during my stay, which isn't really a big deal to me, just very odd. On the final night of my stay, I decided to roll the dice and try room service again, and I decided to really roll the dice and to order the steak (NY strip). Wow! That was an excellent choice! Excellent steak, cooked to my order with excellent sides (baked potato and asparagus). Also, by my last day, Maintenance finally got to my room and fixed the stopper in the sink, maybe Granny finally took her meds and had this issue properly addressed. Would I stay at the Crowne Plaza again? Eh, the jury is still out. It wasn't my worst stay at a hotel, nor was it my best. The Holiday Inn is still going to be my top choice just for the sake of convenience, the Crowne Plaza - I'm going to have to think about that one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear dchiang2:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay at our property. It is through feedback like yours we can identify the areas in which we are excelling and those that could use improvement.

We are sorry to hear about the rough start to your stay with us; however, we are glad to hear you found our staff friendly, our steak delicious, and that by the end of your stay things had begun to turn around.

Still, we take comments about our maintenance, restaurants, and housekeeping seriously. I will pass on your concerns to each individual department so they can ensure issues like those you experienced do not happen again.

We do hope you give our property a second chance to impress you. Should you like any assistance arranging a reservation in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at (7-3) 416-1600.

Libby V.
Guest Relations

Been to Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport? Share your experiences!