“Get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Ottawa, Ontario
“Get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in July-August 2013. Shuttle picked us up at airport - definite plus. Front desk staff at check in was very friendly. Room was clean and stocked when we arrived. Small rooms but what you would expect with a 3.5 star. Manage expectations! You want a 5 star experience then book a Hilton!!!

Location is great. Super close to Metro and great dinner options. Very close to airport.

The second day the room seemed hastily cleaned- no fresh toiletries, no clean cups in the bathroom. Sheets definitely not changed once during our stay. I searched for a "put this sign on bed for fresh linens" card but no luck. Last two days beds weren't even fully made- throw pillows and comforters left on the desk!

Unfortunately for us the last two nights our stay corresponded with a group event - many of whom were on our floor. They were loud and rude - screaming down the halls after 11pm - playing music and YouTube videos in the hallway full volume with no earphones. Called front desk two nights in a row. Didn't do much good. Suppose I should respectfully "demand" to be moved next time. Felt that someone could have dealt with this better as ensuring all guests are having an enjoyable stay is the goal.

Perhaps CP should consider what some other hotels and college dormatories do and create "quiet floors". Guests who want quiet from 10-10 can stay there while louder guests can enjoy themselves on other floors without worry.

I am a not someone who pays $100 a night and expects a Fairmont! However clean and quiet are non negotiable for me and we only got that 50% of the time.

I would try my luck elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Megazz,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked around 20 rooms at the CP National Airport for our wedding guests and they all aboslutely loved it. The service, whether we worked with the the coordinator, the reservations department, or the people at the reception desk, was simply outstanding. Our guests came from different countries and places within the US, and arrived and left at different days, but everything was perfectly organized. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, and the pool was perfect for the hot DC Summer days. While not located in Washington DC proper, the hotel is only about 5 min. walking from the metro which takes you in no time to the sights around the National Mall and the White House, and only a couple of blocks from the large shopping mall in Pentagon City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here from July 10 through July 18th and check in was a bit rough because it was through Wyndham Jade convention services. The room looked just like most of the photo's added by guests so you should not go into the room expecting much. I have photos and will load them. I did not use their Internet services because I brought my own but I was given the pass word. Always keep in mind that the free shuttle stops at midnight as I would not want anyone else left like we were , because no one told us. We ate at the Potomac, the Starbucks, and the restaurant next to it on the mezzanine floor. I loved the grilled cheese with bacon and Granny Smith apples and soon had the others in my room eating it. The Potomac was perfect because after being at the convention center all day it was a great place to end the day with a quick bite and on to your room. This hotel is showing signs of wear and tear so it looks old. The staff members friendliness is why I gave it the four rating because its not a three but not quite a full four either. I would stay here again because its close to the metro and that underground mall across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Orange Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This property is convenient for business at the north end of Crystal City, and reasonably convenient to the Crystal City Metro station. If you are arriving at the airport, be sure to use the hotel shuttle, not Metro to get there. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but the bathroom is smaller than it should be for a Crowne Plaza. The front desk staff was helpful and efficient.

The public areas of the hotel are where it's showing the property's age and need for some updating. The carpets in the hallways need cleaning or replacement. The bar could use an update and a general freshening with more light.

In general, this is just an average hotel with no outrageous problems, but also nothing at all special.

Parking is $21/night, so take a roll of quarters and park at a meter if you're just staying one night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Nick:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; we rely on guest reviews like yours to help us identify the areas in which our hotel could use improvement. We are, however, sincerely sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay.

I am sorry to hear you were surprised by our $21 per day parking rate. We do include this information on our confirmation letters, on our website, and so on. Still, I will certainly speak to our reservations department to ensure they have the proper information. They should provide such information when the reservation is made.

I would also like to apologize for the difficulties you experienced getting sufficient bathroom supplies and having your room cleaned. This is inexcusable, and I will speak to our housekeeping managers and front desk staff right away, to ensure this does not happen again.

We do hope you will give our hotel and Crowne Plaza hotels in general another chance to impress you. We can do better, and hope you will give us the opportunity to prove it. If you would like any assistance settings up a reservation please don’t hesitate to contact me at (703) 416-1600 or at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Most sincere apologies,

Libby Vertz
Guest Relations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the airport mid afternoon on a Sunday and I called the front desk to find the best way to get to the hotel. The clerk offered to come and pick us up, and the van showed up within about 15 minutes. We had requested a handicap accessible room since my wife uses a wheelchair. The room assigned had a double bed which is much smaller than we are used to. When I mentioned this to the bellman he took me back to the front desk an we got a room with a king size bed that was still adequate for our needs. A young man named Stephan in the restaurant took the time to get to know us, tell us about the area, give us remedial training on public transportation in D.C. (he also got us a couple of club sandwiches when we got back late one night). We used the Metro for sightseeing trips and you can get any where you want to go for less than $5.
The maids worked around our schedule and all of the service that we received was top notch. Lots of restaurants and shopping in Crystal City, the Pentagon City mall is one stop away on the metro and there is easy access to Long Bridge Park for evening strolls or to watch pick up soccer and fleetball games. Starbucks on the premises is a definite plus. There is a little Turkish place in the park with the waterfall fountain that has great baklava.
There was a nice sized TV with HDMI inputs. Since my wife was staying in the room a lot while I was at a conference I brought our Roku box but I could not get it to work because the WIFI requires a password after the connection is established. There is an Ethernet connection but I would have to have have my own router to make it work. There may be a way to share from a laptop but I couldn't figure it out. The WIFI signal was pretty weak so we had trouble watching streaming video anyway.
I took cabs anytime I was short on time and you can get anywhere in the DC area for about $20. Everyone that we encountered on the trip was polite and helpful. I never felt that we were in an unsafe situation and we went to all of the tourist spots and walked the neighborhoods whenever we had a chance.
The pool was nice and has one of those devices to lower handicapped people into the water.
The staff definitely make this rating. There are lots of nice places to stay but the level of service really brings this place to the top.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for the Casper Aviation Platoon reunion. The room was very clean and quiet (even though we were pretty close to the elevator). The beds were very comfortable. Everyone we came in contact with from the shuttle driver to the waitresses to the front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Our flight out was a very late flight and they were more than willing to give us an extra late checkout. There are many great eating places well within walking distance and the metro station is just a short walk. We did have a special rate due to the reunion but we would recommend this hotel to any of our family or friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Winchester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Chose this place because I was attending a training session at 1550 Crystal Drive - it is directly across the street(s) from that address, although the hotel actually faces the other direction. It's a perfectly fine business hotel. The hotel has a free airport shuttle (something that was not immediately obvious to me from the website). Nice enough restaurant for breakfast and lunch (breakfast buffet but no omelet bar). I can see staying here for touring Washington if you can get a good rate. There is an underground mall across the street that takes you to the Metro (or you could walk above ground).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport? Share your experiences!