“Almost like being at home” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
“Almost like being at home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the airport mid afternoon on a Sunday and I called the front desk to find the best way to get to the hotel. The clerk offered to come and pick us up, and the van showed up within about 15 minutes. We had requested a handicap accessible room since my wife uses a wheelchair. The room assigned had a double bed which is much smaller than we are used to. When I mentioned this to the bellman he took me back to the front desk an we got a room with a king size bed that was still adequate for our needs. A young man named Stephan in the restaurant took the time to get to know us, tell us about the area, give us remedial training on public transportation in D.C. (he also got us a couple of club sandwiches when we got back late one night). We used the Metro for sightseeing trips and you can get any where you want to go for less than $5.
The maids worked around our schedule and all of the service that we received was top notch. Lots of restaurants and shopping in Crystal City, the Pentagon City mall is one stop away on the metro and there is easy access to Long Bridge Park for evening strolls or to watch pick up soccer and fleetball games. Starbucks on the premises is a definite plus. There is a little Turkish place in the park with the waterfall fountain that has great baklava.
There was a nice sized TV with HDMI inputs. Since my wife was staying in the room a lot while I was at a conference I brought our Roku box but I could not get it to work because the WIFI requires a password after the connection is established. There is an Ethernet connection but I would have to have have my own router to make it work. There may be a way to share from a laptop but I couldn't figure it out. The WIFI signal was pretty weak so we had trouble watching streaming video anyway.
I took cabs anytime I was short on time and you can get anywhere in the DC area for about $20. Everyone that we encountered on the trip was polite and helpful. I never felt that we were in an unsafe situation and we went to all of the tourist spots and walked the neighborhoods whenever we had a chance.
The pool was nice and has one of those devices to lower handicapped people into the water.
The staff definitely make this rating. There are lots of nice places to stay but the level of service really brings this place to the top.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Oklahoma City, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for the Casper Aviation Platoon reunion. The room was very clean and quiet (even though we were pretty close to the elevator). The beds were very comfortable. Everyone we came in contact with from the shuttle driver to the waitresses to the front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Our flight out was a very late flight and they were more than willing to give us an extra late checkout. There are many great eating places well within walking distance and the metro station is just a short walk. We did have a special rate due to the reunion but we would recommend this hotel to any of our family or friends.

Winchester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Chose this place because I was attending a training session at 1550 Crystal Drive - it is directly across the street(s) from that address, although the hotel actually faces the other direction. It's a perfectly fine business hotel. The hotel has a free airport shuttle (something that was not immediately obvious to me from the website). Nice enough restaurant for breakfast and lunch (breakfast buffet but no omelet bar). I can see staying here for touring Washington if you can get a good rate. There is an underground mall across the street that takes you to the Metro (or you could walk above ground).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked this hotel with a group. It was average and on the mark price wise for what we paid. If we had paid the premium price it would have been overpriced. It was your average hotel room that you would get at Hampton or Comfort Inn. Without the breakfast included in the price. The door man was a bit grumpy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Sarah B:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We are glad to hear you were more or less satisfied with your stay at out hotel. However, we do wish we had left you more impressed.

Our rates are normally quite comparable to the other hotels in our area; but we like to think that the outstanding service and amenities we offer make these rates always worth paying. We are sorry to hear you feel differently. I will pass your concerns regarding our policy not to include breakfast with every reservation to our management, as well as your concerns regarding the service you received from our doorman.

I would like to mention to you one of the advantages of becoming an IHG Rewards (formally the Priority Club) member. Once a guest, like yourself, has stayed with us for five nights as a member, they do in fact receive one complimentary breakfast per day. We do hope you will give our hotel staff a second chance to impress you.

If you do choose to stay with us in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me for personal assistance setting up a reservation. I can be reached at (703) 416-1600 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Guest Relations
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Hotel is in a central area to shops and restaurants. Staff is helpful, rooms are comfortable and love the very short walking distance to the underground transportation system which by the way is very clean . Sometimes there are delays during rush hour but still a good way to get around the sites of DC. The restaurant offers specials and has a happy hour. The food is ok

Green Features: I always hold onto towels for two days so like the fact that they appreciate that too
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel met my need for proximity to the airport. I had a rental car, and there was even a gas station located on route to the airport (which was 1 mile away). The staff was accomodating, particularly the wait staff in the restaurant. Monika made our evening by putting the Blackhawks game on the main TV in the bar/restaurant. The food was decent and not terribly overpriced. The hotel itself had an upscale feel, was clean, and has a Starbucks inside. The room itself was not large, but perfect for our needs. It was clean. I felt the price I paid--obtained via a Trip Advisor link--was more than fair. There is currently construction around the hotel, blocking the main entrance, but there are detour signs. Parking was $24 extra, but was convenient, with an elevator for easy access to the hotel lobby and rooms. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CPNationalAirport, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Amanda H,

Thank you for the kind review and recommendation. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We at the Crowne Plaza National Airport pride ourselves on the service we offers guests – and we love to hear when a guest comes away completely satisfied with their Crowne Plaza experience.

We will pass your compliments on to Monika as well. She will certainly be pleased to hear she was able to make your experience in the Potomac Bar & Grille a memorable one.

Thank you for mentioning our on-site Starbucks as well. It is just one of many ways we are able to help our guests start their day on the right foot. The next time you visit, you might consider trying our Veranda Café for breakfast as well. We offer an extensive breakfast buffet, as well as some made-to-order meals.

If your travels return you to the Washington, DC area, please feel free to contact me at (703) 416-1600 or libby.vertz@bfsaul.com. I will be happy to assist you in setting up a reservation. We do hope to see you back again soon!

Guest Relations
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We picked this hotel because we were arriving in D.C. late at night and just needed a place to sleep for the night. It was fine, not great but not bad, did its job in that area. Beds were full-sized, not queens.

Must mention the service, however: we arrived close to midnight, and the restaurant was closing up. A wonderful young man there (did not catch his name, sadly) arranged to have the kitchen prepare us a quick dinner at restaurant prices then delivered it himself to our room so that the restaurant could close but we wouldn't be hungry overnight! He single-handedly kicked off our vacation on a positive note.

The next morning the airport shuttle driver took us to the Metro (just a couple blocks away) so we wouldn't have to tote our bags up the street.

There was no fridge in the room and it was quite small and cramped, but we were not in it for long. I have a feeling if we had stayed longer I would have been relying on the great service to make up for the "eh" room. As it is I would give it 3.5 stars if I could just for the people who work there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Moonunit999:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are always glad to hear from our guests after their stay with us; it helps us identify the areas in which we are excelling and those that might need improvement.

We are extremely pleased to hear you received wonderful service from our staff. I will certainly pass on your compliments to our restaurant staff and drivers. All our staff works hard to make guests feel comfortable and welcome; and they will be pleased to have been mentioned in your review.

I am sorry to hear, however, you did not find our rooms comfortable. Our rooms do in fact have refrigerators; they are on the inside of the cabinet by the television. I am sorry you were not able to use yours. I also regret that you felt your room did not provide you with sufficient space. We offer several room design options; perhaps if you return to our hotel, you can try out a different style—one with more room to lounge.

I do hope you will give us one more chance to impress you, and that you will choose us if your travels return you to the Washington, DC area. If you would like any assistance arranging a future reservation, please feel free to contact me at (703) 416-1600 or at libby.vertz@bfsaulco.com.

Libby Vertz

Been to Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport? Share your experiences!