“A decent place to crash for the night” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“A decent place to crash for the night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We picked this hotel because we were arriving in D.C. late at night and just needed a place to sleep for the night. It was fine, not great but not bad, did its job in that area. Beds were full-sized, not queens.

Must mention the service, however: we arrived close to midnight, and the restaurant was closing up. A wonderful young man there (did not catch his name, sadly) arranged to have the kitchen prepare us a quick dinner at restaurant prices then delivered it himself to our room so that the restaurant could close but we wouldn't be hungry overnight! He single-handedly kicked off our vacation on a positive note.

The next morning the airport shuttle driver took us to the Metro (just a couple blocks away) so we wouldn't have to tote our bags up the street.

There was no fridge in the room and it was quite small and cramped, but we were not in it for long. I have a feeling if we had stayed longer I would have been relying on the great service to make up for the "eh" room. As it is I would give it 3.5 stars if I could just for the people who work there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Moonunit999:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are always glad to hear from our guests after their stay with us; it helps us identify the areas in which we are excelling and those that might need improvement.

We are extremely pleased to hear you received wonderful service from our staff. I will certainly pass on your compliments to our restaurant staff and drivers. All our staff works hard to make guests feel comfortable and welcome; and they will be pleased to have been mentioned in your review.

I am sorry to hear, however, you did not find our rooms comfortable. Our rooms do in fact have refrigerators; they are on the inside of the cabinet by the television. I am sorry you were not able to use yours. I also regret that you felt your room did not provide you with sufficient space. We offer several room design options; perhaps if you return to our hotel, you can try out a different style—one with more room to lounge.

I do hope you will give us one more chance to impress you, and that you will choose us if your travels return you to the Washington, DC area. If you would like any assistance arranging a future reservation, please feel free to contact me at (703) 416-1600 or at libby.vertz@bfsaulco.com.

Best,
Libby Vertz

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for four nights in June - a weekend of sightseeing, and a couple of days' business in the DC area. It was ok, though there were some quirks.

I booked on Hotwire (without knowing the hotel name), about a month in advance, and got a very good price. I see other reviewers here have done the same - I wonder how many rooms the hotel is shifting that way?!

The hotel is in something of a construction zone, though it looks as if the construction nearest the hotel is nearing an end. That's good, because it did create some noise, somewhat disruptive even on the fifth floor. Approaching the hotel from DC, the roads were really rough, and it felt as if you were going off the map: the hotel itself is fairly well-placed though. It is a fairly easy walk to the Crystal City shops and Metro - though if it's raining, you either can get very wet, or go through an exceedingly long tunnel (during business hours). The place really doesn't seem to have been designed with the pedestrian in mind, at all (but may be better after the construction work is complete).

The room was fine - all that you would expect from a hotel of this standard, though there was no in-room safe, which is a shame. The main nuisance was that on running the shower, the fire alarm was triggered. Evacuating - via the stairs! - only be told in the lobby that there was no general fire alarm; it was just that room. (but no one had come to check that no one was dead from smoke inhalation). The front desk sent the maintenance guy, who said that the solution was to leave the bathroom door open when showering. He looked kind-of resigned to the problem.

The in-room wifi was free, which is excellent (and should be normal). I didn't try the hotel's catering, but the Starbucks on the mezzanine level did all the things you'd expect. There are a number of cafes in the centre opposite the hotel, and lots of cafes and restaurants near the Crystal City shops. Car parking cost $21 per day, which seemed rather steep.

The hotel's gym is a disappointment - 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical cross-trainers, and a bike machine, plus a leg extension machine, bench press, and some dumbells. The hotel web site mentions an off-site gym - but this is not included in the room rate. It is fairly nearby, but I didn't check out the casual membership rates. The hotel has a pool, but this seems like a bit of an afterthought.

Would I stay here again? It would just depend on price, I think. I've stayed elsewhere in Crystal City, and preferred that; but there's nothing particularly wrong with the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear doc_M,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope to have another chance of hosting you should your travels bring you back to Arlington.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

From the shuttle pick up to the shuttle drop off, I can say there were only a couple of hitches.
We bought the package from Hotwire which included airfare and hotel for 6 days.
We traveled to Washington D.C. with my 14 year old son and met my brother and his family from Indiana. We requested 2 rooms adjoining. Libby at the front desk went out of her way to make sure this happened. It was an important part of the trip because it makes the rooms feel more spacious, a trick we learned years ago. The great part was the Starbucks on the 2nd floor. Not being big breakfast eaters, it was perfect, especially the wake up coffee. Just which that is was open longer in the evening.
The only hitch was my brother found out on the last day that they had the wrong amount of people listed in his room which caused him to call for more towels everyday. The breakfast is NOT included ind the price of all rooms, so double check what type of room package that you buy.
The flat screen is adequate, HD signal for most local channels, but SD for most of the other channels. They DID carry Foxnews, on channel 43.
The full bed was a downer when you are used to a queen bed. It was a very comfortable though.
The shops across the street at the Crystal City Shops was convenient. Especially since it was on the way to the Metro, about a block away.
Read more from me about the restaurants in the area in more reviews from me.

Overall, very nice!

Room Tip: They do have adjoining rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear RonKG:

Thank you for leaving your feedback on your stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Our staff strives to provide guests only the best in customer service and amenities; and we are always glad to hear when a guest comes away satisfied. (And on a personal note, thank you for the mention! I was happy to help you out.)

We are also happy to hear you were able to stop by our on-site Starbucks and explore the local shops in our area. Our convenient location, just minutes from the metro, a variety of shops and restaurants, and Reagan National Airport, is one of our hotel’s greatest assets. And it always makes us happy to hear that a guest has been able to get to know Crystal City and Washington, DC while staying with us.

Still, I would like to apologize for the error in number of guests on your brother’s reservation. We always want to accommodate our guests the best we can, and I am sorry a mistake was made. I will inform our front desk staff of the issue, so such an error can be avoided in the future.

We do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future, should your travels bring you back to the Washington, DC area. If you would like any assistance in setting up a reservation, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached by phone at (703) 416-1600 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaulco.com.
All the best,

Libby Vertz
Guest Relations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

With the professionalism of Libby at the front desk and the friendliness of all the staff, this stay was amazing. I'm here from Cleveland for vacation and everyone is wonderful. I found out i'm a platinum member and got a free drink and breakfast which rocks!! The woman in the restaurant/bar was great! I didn't catch her name but she smiled a lot :)

I would stay here again if i'm back in DC! Thank you staff for making my stay memorable!

• Stayed June 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was visited for a Memorial Day weekend vacation. Was a little tough to find because of the area construction. Call and have them pick you up instead of taking the metro. Hotel is very close to the metro but I would suggest not doing the walk with your luggage.

Room was clean and the temperature was always comfortable. Bathroom had the previous guest's razor in the shower but otherwise no cleanliness problems.
We had an issue getting NBC to work one night (after 10 pm) and they actually sent someone up within 2 minutes to fix the problem.

On our second to last day they forgot to replace towels and glasses when they removed the dirty ones. Called when we for in at night and they sent some right up.

Service was always top notch and all problems were minor.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramsgate, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was there for five days, ate at the restaurant every day and had an amazing time - they sorted me a taxi, I could use the business centre and the room was clean and tidy.

I would return there is I attended the FOSE conference again though I would travel on buses and metro next time ($75 for a taxi - same price com

Thanks Mike!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for his business trip. We arrived and check in was breeze. We asked for an upgrade and they put us in a nice room on the 12th floor. We got to our and it was very clean. There was two chocolates waiting for us. I was very impressed for a hotel airport. The room has a little refrigerator with two bottled waters. The view wasn't bad either. I can't really say anything bad about the room it was very nice, clean and the pillows were very comfortable. We had a drink in the hotel bar and grill (Potomac bar and grill). I highly recommend the white chocolate martini. The service in the bar was very excellent. The food and drinks were priced very reasonable. When I got back to Arlington, Va I will definitely stay there. The Crystal shops are near by to look around, plenty of restaurants near by. The metro to DC is walking distance. All and All excellent stay. I got free airport shuttle service to the airport. The staff were all polite and nice. They offer a buffet breakfast for purchase at the mezzanine level of the hotel. I didn't get a chance to go but it looked very yummy. There is a Starbucks as well. The work out room is little but good machines. The only compliant I have is there is a lot of construction going right near the front door across from the hotel so that's the only thing that got a little loud. Our housekeeper got me a new robe when she cleaned our room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport? Share your experiences!