“Nice Hotel Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Weekend Savings!
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Nice Hotel Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The hotel is pretty nice for a Crowne Plaza. The location is Excellent! It was 5 minutes from the airport via their free shuttle or the Metro. The Metro stop is an easy 5 minute or less walk from the front door and seemed very safe to walk to day or night. We came back from the city after midnight and did not feel the least uncomfortable. There is a great mall attached to the Metro stop where you can shop or eat. Seemed to be 2 dozen or more restaurants inside. The Metro gets you into downtown DC in 15 minutes or less.

Room service was quick and the food was excellent and reasonably priced, at least reasonably priced for room service I suppose.... LOL

The only issue I had was we were charged for a meal in the restaurant that was not ours but as soon as I pointed it out, it was taken care of promptly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Tammynnc,

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport. Our central location is one of our greatest assets – just a few minutes from Reagan National Airport, walking distance from a variety of restaurants, and only a quick metro or taxi ride from downtown Washington, DC.

We are also glad to hear your enjoyed the food from our restaurants—the Potomac Bar & Grille and Veranda Café. Our restaurant staff works hard to offer guests a myriad of delicious menu options at fair prices. We love to hear when our customers come away satisfied.

I would also like to thank you for pointing out the error on your bill as well; you gave our staff the opportunity to fix the mistake. The level of service our staff offers is a point of pride at our hotel; our employees always happy and willing to resolve any issues guests have as quickly as possible.
Again, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We do hope your travels bring you back to the Crowne Plaza National Airport in the future. If you would like any assistance booking a room with us, please feel free to contact me directly at (703) 416-1600.

Best,
Libby Vertz
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Bronx, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A great hotel to use as your home base for a trip to Washington. Doesn't look like much on the outside compared to some of the other Crystal City hotels, but don't let that fool you. The room was elegant, clean and comfortable, and I had a great night's sleep here. The Starbucks on the mezzanine level was a great amenity, as was the complimentary in-room internet (which I was surprised to find at a hotel at this star level). Missed out on the pool because it opens on Memorial Day, so I can't speak to that, and I didn't try the restaurant either. However, you're a five-minute walk to the many restaurants in Crystal City.

Even better, the Metro station is about a three-minute walk, which gives this hotel the upper hand over other Crystal City hotels if you're planning on using the Metro to visit DC. The quickest way to the Metro isn't well-marked for pedestrians, but it's a short walk down Bell Street (go left exiting the lobby, go around the outside of the hotel, and it's the first road you see perpendicular to the hotel facing south). The Crystal City Metro is three stops away from the National Mall on the Yellow line, but I'd also recommend going three stops on the Blue line to Arlington Cemetery and walking across the bridge over the Potomac to get to the Lincoln Memorial and other nearby sights.

All in all, hard to beat in the area. The only downside at the moment is the construction next door (which looks like it may be winding down in the next few months). The construction appears to have blocked off the Crystal Drive entrance to the hotel, so finding your way in is a bit difficult - drivers may want to call in advance. Still, I didn't hear anything in my room (which was on one of the upper floors), so it's only a minor nuisance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport (DC) for about a week early April, 2013 while in meetings in Washington, D.C. I've uploaded photos of the outdoor mezzanine, back of the hotel, the hallway to the rooms, my room's bathroom, bathroom amenities, coffee machine, desk/television, bedside stereo, and several of the room itself.

Please note two things about my review for context: first, I was upgraded to stay on the "executive" 12th floor and received free internet and breakfast, as I often stay at Crowne Plaza (and other IHG hotel properties); second, I stayed at the hotel while the DC cherry blossom trees were blooming, during which time many DC area hotels host many tourists and increase their room rates. I came to stay at this hotel (rather than the hotel I generally use in DC) because all the hotels in and closer to DC were charging rates almost double what I normally pay or had no availability. Nonetheless, this hotel pleasantly surprised me.

I found the hotel's lobby, meeting rooms, hallways, and rooms to be tasteful, clean, and modern. The restaurants and on-premises restaurants/bar and Starbucks were less impressive, but were quite standard for a North American business-oriented airport hotel, and I had no complaints about them except for the bad "elevator music" they constantly played, making it hard to work productively in these common areas.

The hotel's "business center" is not a quiet work area with a door, but rather a line of computers against a wall in a nook of the lobby. There's a free printer for basics, such as a last minute agenda or travel reservation details. The common area and in-room wifi was fast during all times of the day and suitable for business use. As I mentioned, I received free internet access, but I believe it's normally an additional cost per day. The hotel has strong 4G LTE service from both AT&T and Verizon.

The hotel driveway was under construction during my stay, which required guests to walk around the back of the hotel to reach the nearby shops, restaurants, and Metro stop. The back of the hotel wasn't well kept, with old mattresses, dirty laundry, and hotel employees taking smoking breaks littered about. I assume this situation is temporary, until the entryway work is complete. This back area of the hotel was also quite unlit, making my colleague and I slightly uncomfortable when returning from dinner at nearby restaurants in the evening.

Regarding my room, do note that I was upgraded to the 12th "executive" floor. It's possible that other guest rooms in the hotel are differently outfitted. The room had a comfortable king-sized bed and lounge chair with side-table. There were plenty of bedside, desk, and bathroom electric outlets, and a convenient and easy-to-use bedside stereo/alarm clock. The room was very well appointed and appeared recently redone. The room felt clean, fresh, and welcoming. The heater/air-conditioning unit was on the louder side, but didn't disturb sleep. There was a refrigerator for guest use with free bottled water under the television. My corner room on the 12th floor was slightly smaller than others I saw on the floor. Others have a two-person couch with a large table.

The bathroom was small for a hotel not located in a city, but modern, clean and well outfitted. Brand-name amenities from Templespa and Scope were nice, and the bathroom had a wicker-basket under the counter for dirty towels, which was a comforting touch. The shower water pressure and temperature was weak and almost warm (rather than "hot"), and when I mentioned this at check-out the front-desk indicated that this sometimes happens when the hotel is full. My colleagues staying elsewhere in the hotel had no such trouble.

The breakfast buffet was standard for a North American business-oriented airport hotel. The food was good, and one could request specially made meals for dietary restrictions. The staff was welcoming, professional, and attentive.

The hotel is located in a business/residential complex, with several high-rise business centers and luxury residential buildings connected through hallways lined with multiple breakfast and lunch shops. There's a beautiful outdoor mezzanine connecting several of the buildings at the second-floor level, which was great in April, but must be sweltering in the summer.

The hotel is a short walk (5 - 10 minutes) from the Metro, and the plentiful and diverse shops and restaurants of Crystal City. The airport shuttle was running every 15 minutes, upon advance request.

Again, please see my uploaded photos of the outdoor mezzanine, back of the hotel, the hallway to the rooms, my room's bathroom, bathroom amenities, coffee machine, desk/television, bedside stereo, and several of the room itself.

Overall, I'd recommend the hotel for business travel, as it's clean, modern, convenient to DC and DCA airport. As a big bonus for an airport hotel, this Crowne Plaza is within walking distance of local shopping and restaurants. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Twelfth floor "executive" rooms are large, clean, and well-appointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Milton Freewater, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been staying here for over 20 years because it is near airport, metro, and they have a great breakfast buffet. Really, over the years they have provided great service. They have all they usual amenities such as pool, weight room, free computer

Room Tip: higher rooms are usually quiter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Browns Mills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff was beyond helpful. I had lost my coat and the receptionist went to great lengths to help me find it. Also the rooms were nice, comfortable and clean. The bathroom was a bit tight, but worked well. Although it was in the city and close the airport, it was quite. I tend to be light sleeper and I slept very well. The location was great - close to the metro and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very nice. It was very clean and service was great. Staff was all very friendly, they obvioisly knew regular guests from the airlines. Our room was large and clean. There were lots of nice little extras like tea with the coffee and cotton balls. The cleaning staff replaced the tollitries everyday even when they were still half full.

The Starbucks in hotel has really short hours and they aren't very good, but rhe lunch cafe is great. The bar is good, but rhe happy hour specials are small. Still reasonablly priced though.

The location is good. Close to a shopping mall and some outlets. Also very close to a metro stop.

• Stayed March 2013
Chesterfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This was a great hotel. One if the main perks was their free shuttle service that will take you to anywhere in Crystal City. It dropped us of at Legal Sea Food for dinner than picked us up at the CVS afterwards. Very convenient. Also, very close to the metro station. You can cut through the Crystal City shops I get to the station.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport? Share your experiences!