I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport (DC) for about a week early April, 2013 while in meetings in Washington, D.C. I've uploaded photos of the outdoor mezzanine, back of the hotel, the hallway to the rooms, my room's bathroom, bathroom amenities, coffee machine, desk/television, bedside stereo, and several of the room itself.
Please note two things about my review for context: first, I was upgraded to stay on the "executive" 12th floor and received free internet and breakfast, as I often stay at Crowne Plaza (and other IHG hotel properties); second, I stayed at the hotel while the DC cherry blossom trees were blooming, during which time many DC area hotels host many tourists and increase their room rates. I came to stay at this hotel (rather than the hotel I generally use in DC) because all the hotels in and closer to DC were charging rates almost double what I normally pay or had no availability. Nonetheless, this hotel pleasantly surprised me.
I found the hotel's lobby, meeting rooms, hallways, and rooms to be tasteful, clean, and modern. The restaurants and on-premises restaurants/bar and Starbucks were less impressive, but were quite standard for a North American business-oriented airport hotel, and I had no complaints about them except for the bad "elevator music" they constantly played, making it hard to work productively in these common areas.
The hotel's "business center" is not a quiet work area with a door, but rather a line of computers against a wall in a nook of the lobby. There's a free printer for basics, such as a last minute agenda or travel reservation details. The common area and in-room wifi was fast during all times of the day and suitable for business use. As I mentioned, I received free internet access, but I believe it's normally an additional cost per day. The hotel has strong 4G LTE service from both AT&T and Verizon.
The hotel driveway was under construction during my stay, which required guests to walk around the back of the hotel to reach the nearby shops, restaurants, and Metro stop. The back of the hotel wasn't well kept, with old mattresses, dirty laundry, and hotel employees taking smoking breaks littered about. I assume this situation is temporary, until the entryway work is complete. This back area of the hotel was also quite unlit, making my colleague and I slightly uncomfortable when returning from dinner at nearby restaurants in the evening.
Regarding my room, do note that I was upgraded to the 12th "executive" floor. It's possible that other guest rooms in the hotel are differently outfitted. The room had a comfortable king-sized bed and lounge chair with side-table. There were plenty of bedside, desk, and bathroom electric outlets, and a convenient and easy-to-use bedside stereo/alarm clock. The room was very well appointed and appeared recently redone. The room felt clean, fresh, and welcoming. The heater/air-conditioning unit was on the louder side, but didn't disturb sleep. There was a refrigerator for guest use with free bottled water under the television. My corner room on the 12th floor was slightly smaller than others I saw on the floor. Others have a two-person couch with a large table.
The bathroom was small for a hotel not located in a city, but modern, clean and well outfitted. Brand-name amenities from Templespa and Scope were nice, and the bathroom had a wicker-basket under the counter for dirty towels, which was a comforting touch. The shower water pressure and temperature was weak and almost warm (rather than "hot"), and when I mentioned this at check-out the front-desk indicated that this sometimes happens when the hotel is full. My colleagues staying elsewhere in the hotel had no such trouble.
The breakfast buffet was standard for a North American business-oriented airport hotel. The food was good, and one could request specially made meals for dietary restrictions. The staff was welcoming, professional, and attentive.
The hotel is located in a business/residential complex, with several high-rise business centers and luxury residential buildings connected through hallways lined with multiple breakfast and lunch shops. There's a beautiful outdoor mezzanine connecting several of the buildings at the second-floor level, which was great in April, but must be sweltering in the summer.
The hotel is a short walk (5 - 10 minutes) from the Metro, and the plentiful and diverse shops and restaurants of Crystal City. The airport shuttle was running every 15 minutes, upon advance request.
Again, please see my uploaded photos of the outdoor mezzanine, back of the hotel, the hallway to the rooms, my room's bathroom, bathroom amenities, coffee machine, desk/television, bedside stereo, and several of the room itself.
Overall, I'd recommend the hotel for business travel, as it's clean, modern, convenient to DC and DCA airport. As a big bonus for an airport hotel, this Crowne Plaza is within walking distance of local shopping and restaurants. I will stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza National Airport Hotel in Arlington, Virginia is a first class, full service hotel located in the heart of Crystal City. Only moments away from the Nation s Capitol and the Pentagon, we are less than one mile from Reagan National Airport. Located within minutes of Washington, DC agencies and attractions, the Crowne Plaza has been newly upgraded offering the Sleep Advantage Program for your additional comfort. With you in mind, each guest room offers plush duvet covers with 7 pillows, upgraded linen and mattress toppers. The Crowne Plaza National Airport Hotel is close to companies and agencies such as US Airways, IBM, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, National Guard , and many more. We specialize in government travelers offering per diem rates. Stay connected with our free Wireless High Speed Internet Access in our public areas and 24 Hour business center. Maintain your exercise regimen in our 24 Hour Fitness Center. The Crystal City Metro Station is one block away with Historic Old Town Alexandria only two miles. We boast five meeting rooms plus an array of business class amenities. We take pride in providing exemplary customer service and will take care of your every need. Come to the Crowne Plaza National Airport Hotel, The Place To Meet! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport Hotel Arlington
- Crowne Plaza Arlington
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Arlington