“Could have been better” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Northern Virginia
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Great location and convenient to Metro, highway access and shopping. Staff friendly and helpful, although encountered some communication problems. Food Service was good. Room service was very good. Many fine places to eat nearby (within walking distance), from cafe's to full service "dining".

Had problems with the shower and air conditioning. Most of the water from the shower was diverted to the tub fill...water seemed to trickle out of shower head. The air conditioner was controlled by an automatic thermostat with "occupancy" sensor. Took room a long time to cool down even with the thermostat sat at the lowest temp. A/C unit was noisy. Hotel does not have wireless internet connection, but does have high speed connection, which was troublesome to navigate. Be sure to check with front desk to see how to get FREE internet connection.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I was traveling here on business but also did many recreational things with my wife and friends who tagged along. The hotel is just fine, but it is a bit overpriced for what you get. I realize it is probably the going rate in the area, but I kind of expected a little bit more from it.

Some issues include a shuttle that takes you in a mile radius is really not worthwhile, not even free coffee with the room, and $9/day to park. No real complaints that stand out, but I would have stayed elsewhere if it was on my dime.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Front desk staff was so nice and the rooms, clean and up to date. Full Cable channels as well, which is something I truly enjoy traveling all the time.

But the real deal was the beds... super soft and I slept like a baby!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

We needed a reasonably priced place to stay for our recent family vacation to DC and the Holiday Inn Arlington fit the bill. The desk staff was friendly and competent and the service and food at the restaurant was tasty and a good deal (kids eat free with an adult).

Our room had two Queen sized beds and a mini refrigerator. When we checked in we noticed right away one of the two chairs was broken. I wrote a note to housekeeping and got a new chair brought in the next day.

The metro station is a very easy walk (about five minutes away).
There is a large shopping mall nearby with a food court and lots of stores. And there many nice restaurants within walking distance.

My only issue was with the swimming pool. It is tiny, outdoor and non-heated. It is staffed with a "lifeguard." But I question if she was a certified lifeguard. My two sons (6 and 8 and very good swimmers) my husband and I were the only ones swimming in the pool. My husband went back to the room and I was sitting on a chair pool side. When my husband returned to our room the lifeguard informed me that the children would now have to restrict themselves to the shallow end.
I was actively watching them (not reading a magazine or talking on the phone) and had been in the water with them. Plus they are fine swimmers. I couldn't figure out why my husband's departure triggered this warning. The same thing happened the next day. (It hadn't been an issue earlier in our stay with a different guard.) There may have been a language barrier. She sounded as if she was from Eastern Europe.
So if you are there with your young children be prepared to have limits placed on your swimming.

• Liked — Easy access to everywhere we wanted to go.
  • Disliked — The swimming pool.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

My wife was at a conference in Ballston last month, and I came up to stay with her one night. My wife liked this place better than the Hilton, which she stayed at a few months earlier. The beds were nice and comfortable, and they gave a USA Today paper during the week. A little confusion with the hotel staff about room keys, but it all worked out in the end. It's about a 3 block walk to the Metro stop at Ballston which will get you anywhere in DC pretty quick. It's also right at the I-66 exit for Fairfax Dr, so that adds to the convenience. Recommend it highly.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

I stayed here while on a business trip recently and was very disappointed particularly since I had stayed in a HI the night before in Charlotte, NC and had a great experience.

This hotel needs a lot of work and is quite expensive, certainly not worth the rate charged. The elevators are very old and you feel like you might get stuck. The rooms are old and worn and the towels are truly threadbare. The room was not clean and the heat was intermittent. I tried to buy some candy at the candy machine on my floor and it did not work. The clerk that checked me in seemed to be drunk as she had difficulty standing up and kept holding on to the desk and slurred her words. People always tell you to complain if you are dissatisfied when you first check into a hotel but in this case the only person at the desk was incoherent.

The breakfast at the restaurant was of good quality and the service was great. The morning desk clerk was polite and called a taxi for me.

In my opinion this is the type of facility that brings down the HI brand and makes you question if you want take a chance on them again.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Service & Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

This HI is way overpriced for what you get. It was clean, and the room was spacious. The shuttle driver was great. The location was convenient for my needs. That's the good stuff. However, as a Platinum Priority Club member, I was given a room facing the intersection of the main highway (N. Fairfax) and Rt. 66 - the traffic noise was significant. One of the "perks" of this level of loyality is being given the best room available - I can't imagine this was their best. However, the traffic noise was nothing compared to the one-speed-only fan in the heating/cooling unit that ran at a clip that would blow you over, and with a comparable noise level to go along with that. After my first night, I needed to buy earplugs. The fan worked great though, to dry, in minutes, a jacket that had gotten soaked in the rain. I did discover by night 2, that even on a cold night, the room did not get uncomfortably cool when I just turned the unit off for the evening.

Even with the hotel's written committment to save water by asking guests to re-use towels and sheets (which is fine and commendable), the facuet in the bathtub was leaking - not dripping, but leaking water that filled the ice bucket in about an hour - I needed some context to explain to them how badly it was leaking! I called the front desk my first night there and asked that it be fixed the next day. It took two days and two more requests. And, they use those stupid water saver shower heads that spray water all over, forcing me to take a longer shower than normal because I never feel like I got rinsed off properly, defeating the whole purpose of water saving.
Finally, each of my three days started with a lukewarm shower. I consider myself lucky, though, as on my last day there, the front desk was deluged by other lodgers complaining of either no hot water or no water at all. Although the front desk staff apologized, it would have been a nice customer service touch to offer free drink/appetizer/cup of coffee/something coupons to those inconvenienced. Having no hot water or no water at all is actually a bit more than an inconvenience, isn't it? For $275, I'd expect water, and hot water too, wouldn't you?
The bad news for those of us on a moderate expense account is that the other 2 hotels in the immediate vicinity are even more expensive, but I'm sure the new Westin is nicer.

• Liked — Convenient to my business meeting
  • Disliked — Infrastructure issues, loud traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston? Share your experiences!